Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

tony's chocolonely:

anyway I thought it was pretty great. the label reads like, 'hey kids? you like chocolate? Yeah? What about slavery.' It's also exceptionally good chocolate and I recommend it to anybody who likes chocolate, which is almost everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacalou

in love with that fuckin' wrapper design it's like wacky racers passed through a general store

alnilam

This might be controversial but personally i think slavery is pretty bad... I appreciate Tony for speaking his mind about this

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

This might be controversial but personally i think slavery is pretty bad... I appreciate Tony for speaking his mind about this

Same! And it is great chocolate too.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Is Tony's the only assurance that the chocolate is more ethically produced?

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

joke_explainer

blaise rascal posted:

Is Tony's the only assurance that the chocolate is more ethically produced?

I had the same concern and googled him before I made the thread just to make sure it wasn't all marketing. It looks somewhat legit. The producer has been at this for some time, and was dealing with it before he even started really making his own brand, famously suing himself for knowingly purchase a product of slave labor after he ate several pounds of chocolate in a publicity stunt, trying to raise awareness.

Tony posted:

"Since 2012 we have been buying our cocoa directly from cocoa farmers in West Africa who we know personally. More specifically, we buy our cocoa from two farming co-ops in Africa: ABOCFA in Ghana and Ecookim in Ivory Coast. ABOCFA includes 400 farmers from 13 villages, and Eccokim 350 farmers, most of them from the village of Blaiskero Sud. We have established long-term relationships with these farmers and buy directly from them, which is the first critical step towards 100% slave-free chocolate. It guarantees them fair prices for their beans and financial stability so they can invest in their own futures. That’s good for the farmer, his family and his employees and their families. What’s in it for you? Delicious fully traceable 100% slave-free chocolate."

They use 100% traceable sources to their chocolate, something that is pretty difficult to do, and are 'fair trade certified', though they acknowledge that's not quite enough and are going beyond that. More information can be found on the internet.

Android Blues

it's ironic how the anti-slavery chocolate bar bears a strong visual resemblance to a willy wonka product

playground tough
ravioli ravioli give me the chocolonely

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

joke_explainer posted:

I had the same concern and googled him before I made the thread just to make sure it wasn't all marketing. It looks somewhat legit. The producer has been at this for some time, and was dealing with it before he even started really making his own brand, famously suing himself for knowingly purchase a product of slave labor after he ate several pounds of chocolate in a publicity stunt, trying to raise awareness.

They use 100% traceable sources to their chocolate, something that is pretty difficult to do, and are 'fair trade certified', though they acknowledge that's not quite enough and are going beyond that. More information can be found on the internet.
Well, if they're fair trade certified, then they're at least as good as the chocolate I buy from my church

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Piso Mojado

unfortunately, im a slave to a long family history of heart disease and adult onset diabetes, so I wont be purchasing this product and will probably eat a piece of fruit instead.

bacalou

4 bucks for a bar of chocolate? that ain't no fair trade i ever heard

the unabonger
I appreciate that chocolate bar and will look for one next time i get a hankering. what other flavors did they have?

joke_explainer

i flunked out posted:

I appreciate that chocolate bar and will look for one next time i get a hankering. what other flavors did they have?

dark coffee crunch, milk chocolate, extra dark chocolate, dark almond sea salt, milk caramel sea salt, dark pecan coconut (really good!)

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

dark almond sea salt, dark pecan coconut (really good!)

:eyepop:

treasure bear

chocolate is one of the best things

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i dont care much for the chocs tbh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the fact that its reliant on slave labor doesnt help this

Shaquin

Nosfereefer posted:

the fact that its reliant on slave labor doesnt help this
i hope you dont own any chinese manufactured electronics either

Nosfereefer

i didn't say that i avoided every kind of slave labor related business on earth, as that would pretty much leave me w/o anything in this brave new world. i just dont like the taste of chocolate. slavery doesnt make it seem more attractive y'know

bacalou

i wonder who the first slave labor free smartphone producer will be

Shaquin
i just wanted to be pithy. a good bar of dark is cool to keep around though.

yeah actually they will
I read the anti-slavery chocolate wrapper and it made me think that slavery was bad but later that day I read a chocolate wrapper that said that slavery was good so unfortunately I now think that slavery is really good

yeah actually they will
Hi it's me the guy who gets all his facts from chocolate bar wrappers. Yesterday I read a chocolate bar wrapper that said shoes were bad so I had to walk home barefoot. It was a really sunny day so I burned my feet on the tarmac and later my soles got all cut up when I took a shortcut through a briar thicket. Bar was pretty good, very smooth, nice cocoa/milk ratio

yeah actually they will
Yesterday was a hassle, got trapped in a room with multiple instances of the AND, OR, XOR and NOT chocolate bars and was tricked into performing several menial yet increasingly complex tasks

treasure bear

no they will not posted:

I read the anti-slavery chocolate wrapper and it made me think that slavery was bad but later that day I read a chocolate wrapper that said that slavery was good so unfortunately I now think that slavery is really good

problematic hug

no they will not posted:

treasure bear

i will never take orders from a kinder bueno

bacalou

treasure bear posted:

i will never take orders from a kinder bueno

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I eat chocolate harvested by white slaves with black masters because it helps to balance the karma

Shaquin
ironic that white chocolate is the moral choice makes you think....

bacalou

Luvcow posted:

I eat chocolate harvested by white slaves with black masters because it helps to balance the karma

oh

treasure bear

chocolate says to me: "eat me im yummy, but you really should know about the cond-" and then i eat it and it's yummy

Hobo Pyro
unless u found this in a whole foods i give it six months before the company goes bankrupt

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

joke_explainer posted:

tony's chocolonely:

anyway I thought it was pretty great. the label reads like, 'hey kids? you like chocolate? Yeah? What about slavery.' It's also exceptionally good chocolate and I recommend it to anybody who likes chocolate, which is almost everybody.

I was with him until I saw the irregularly shaped chocolate pieces and now I hate him, and his morality based marketing.

----------------

drilldo squirt

no they will not posted:

Yesterday was a hassle, got trapped in a room with multiple instances of the AND, OR, XOR and NOT chocolate bars and was tricked into performing several menial yet increasingly complex tasks

Haha, logic circuits.

----------------

drilldo squirt

You know what, making people feel like they are doing something to help others by buying your stuff has got to one of the evilest ways out their to sell things.

----------------

joke_explainer

drilldo squirt posted:

You know what, making people feel like they are doing something to help others by buying your stuff has got to one of the evilest ways out their to sell things.

I would agree if it wasn't actually helping people. Overall, we can't use capitalism to solve the problems of capitalism, but a good interim step is try to cut out the worst abuses in the system. The guy has been a chocolate activist for far longer than he actually has made chocolate. If you can choose between a company that is using a slave labor and a company that isn't in your purchasing, isn't it less evil to choose the company that isn't using slave labor?

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

I would agree if it wasn't actually helping people. Overall, we can't use capitalism to solve the problems of capitalism, but a good interim step is try to cut out the worst abuses in the system. The guy has been a chocolate activist for far longer than he actually has made chocolate. If you can choose between a company that is using a slave labor and a company that isn't in your purchasing, isn't it less evil to choose the company that isn't using slave labor?

no, because it makes ppl think that they are actually helping slave children when in reality it doesnt on any significant level and anesyhtizes you from actually doing something impactful instead of just eating chocolate.

yeah actually they will
unequally divided

Hey folks it's me Tony. Yeah haha the guy from the front of the wrapper, it's hosed up I know but here I am. Just popping in on the back of my chocolate bar wrapper to say: "Hey - isn't it weird that chocolate is so sweet and tasty when there is no more bitter a taste than that of unfair trade practices in the third world?" That's why I've made my chocolate bar as lovely and hosed up as the world we live in today. Just try and break off a square of this piece of poo poo stained glass window rear end bar. I bet you can't but try anyway you stupid mother fucker. -Tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Piso Mojado posted:

no, because it makes ppl think that they are actually helping slave children when in reality it doesnt on any significant level and anesyhtizes you from actually doing something impactful instead of just eating chocolate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDgxH8aRGs

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread