Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

tony's chocolonely:

anyway I thought it was pretty great. the label reads like, 'hey kids? you like chocolate? Yeah? What about slavery.' It's also exceptionally good chocolate and I recommend it to anybody who likes chocolate, which is almost everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

This might be controversial but personally i think slavery is pretty bad... I appreciate Tony for speaking his mind about this

Same! And it is great chocolate too.

joke_explainer

blaise rascal posted:

Is Tony's the only assurance that the chocolate is more ethically produced?

I had the same concern and googled him before I made the thread just to make sure it wasn't all marketing. It looks somewhat legit. The producer has been at this for some time, and was dealing with it before he even started really making his own brand, famously suing himself for knowingly purchase a product of slave labor after he ate several pounds of chocolate in a publicity stunt, trying to raise awareness.

Tony posted:

"Since 2012 we have been buying our cocoa directly from cocoa farmers in West Africa who we know personally. More specifically, we buy our cocoa from two farming co-ops in Africa: ABOCFA in Ghana and Ecookim in Ivory Coast. ABOCFA includes 400 farmers from 13 villages, and Eccokim 350 farmers, most of them from the village of Blaiskero Sud. We have established long-term relationships with these farmers and buy directly from them, which is the first critical step towards 100% slave-free chocolate. It guarantees them fair prices for their beans and financial stability so they can invest in their own futures. That’s good for the farmer, his family and his employees and their families. What’s in it for you? Delicious fully traceable 100% slave-free chocolate."

They use 100% traceable sources to their chocolate, something that is pretty difficult to do, and are 'fair trade certified', though they acknowledge that's not quite enough and are going beyond that. More information can be found on the internet.

joke_explainer

i flunked out posted:

I appreciate that chocolate bar and will look for one next time i get a hankering. what other flavors did they have?

dark coffee crunch, milk chocolate, extra dark chocolate, dark almond sea salt, milk caramel sea salt, dark pecan coconut (really good!)

joke_explainer

drilldo squirt posted:

You know what, making people feel like they are doing something to help others by buying your stuff has got to one of the evilest ways out their to sell things.

I would agree if it wasn't actually helping people. Overall, we can't use capitalism to solve the problems of capitalism, but a good interim step is try to cut out the worst abuses in the system. The guy has been a chocolate activist for far longer than he actually has made chocolate. If you can choose between a company that is using a slave labor and a company that isn't in your purchasing, isn't it less evil to choose the company that isn't using slave labor?

joke_explainer

Piso Mojado posted:

no, because it makes ppl think that they are actually helping slave children when in reality it doesnt on any significant level and anesyhtizes you from actually doing something impactful instead of just eating chocolate.

You're wrong. I mean, if I go to the store and I'm going to buy chocolate, and I buy from someone who I can verify through third parties is actually paying a fair wage for his cocoa beans, that is a better outcome for one group of people than purposefully giving money to someone utilizing slave labor. The farmers that get handed money on the spot for their cocoa pods in the these farms are factually better off than they'd be otherwise. No amount of moralizing about this actually being no good because you want to keep justifying your consumption of slave chocolate is going to put money in the hands of those farmers.

The fact is that people are going to buy chocolate and attacking things like this just because it doesn't solve the problem entirely is just stupid. You want everyone to just stop buying chocolate entirely to fix the problem? Ok, but it's not going to happen, so if we can't have a perfect solution a fair trade solution is a much better one.

It's easy for you to sit there and say it does nothing without even bothering to research what they do at all. Hope you are feeling good and superior now that you're refused any possible way to improve the situation.

Seriously, what do you think should be done? Do you think all fair trade production policies should be abolished, that they literally do more harm than good? I don't see how third party verified fair rates for labor can possibly be a bad thing -- it's way better than the alternative, just rampantly abused third world labor. Should just no chocolate be shipped anywhere outside of where it grows naturally? What's your solution?

joke_explainer

I love how easy it is for people to poo poo on people honestly just trying to make the world a better place. People in the first world love to attack anyone who would dare want to make poo poo better for the third world, call them disingenuous. It's a great way to divert any feeling of shame for not bothering to donate to charity nor be more conscious with their conspicuous consumption. 'Lol fair trade is meaningless so I don't have to feel bad about my j. crew clothes or slave chocolate or the crushingly unequal rare earth metals industry that is in literally every device I use to talk to the internet'

joke_explainer

A lot of people aren't even aware of the problem of labor in the chocolate industry. These bars are both fair trade and educational. I can't see anything bad about that. If capitalism drives somebody to stop buying $2.50 chocolate bars because they feel ashamed of abusing the third world, then that is good. I don't get how any of you can sit there and be like 'NO. THIS IS ACTUALLY BAD. I DON'T WANT THE PRODUCERS OF COCOA AT ABOCFA AND ECOOKIM TO MAKE ANY MONEY FOR THEIR COCOA. I HATE FAIR TRADE, IT'S MEANINGLESS.'

joke_explainer

Piso Mojado posted:

it's a candy bar dude.

It's a product. If marketing can offset some of the suffering in creating the product, creating a more equitable situation, I think that is a good thing. I don't care if it makes some yuppie happier or lets him or her feel like he's doing good in the world when he's just spending more cash, if the people on the bottom rung are getting a much more fair share of the pie, it's still better.

If you can prey on the emotions of the rich to end up with a more equitable distribution of wealth, that's a good thing. If we can't abolish capitalism, fair trade is a better stopgap measure than doing nothing.

joke_explainer

no they will not posted:

Hi. My name is Bertrand. This is an unusual kind of chocolate bar. It exists to help people whose lives have been affected by minefields. I know what you're thinking: "Huh? Minefields?" Yes. Every year, over 15,000 people are killed by minefields, 80% of them civilians, most of these civilians being children and the elderly. With the money you've spent on this delicious chocolate bar (that's right, this one you're holding right now!), it's our goal to de-mine as many minefields as we can. Please enjoy, and be sure to tell your friends about Big Bertrand's Phimosis Nougat.

google THIS posted:

well, fellow board members, those chocoloners have forced our hand. we're losing market share by the day. effective immediately, the hershey company will source it's chocolate only from slavery-free plantations, and we will celebrate this change by releasing a new, limited edition product: Kissappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Hello, I'm Tony’s Chocoinnocence. I'm an unusual kind of chocolate bar. I exist to prove that I didn't kill my wife. I know what you're thinking, 'I don't care!' -- That's the same thing the leader of the FBI task force leading the tri-state manhunt for me said before I leapt out of that drainage sluice. In fact, right now, law enforcement officers are attempting to arrest me for that heinous crime I didn’t commit. My mission is to prove my innocence and find the man responsible for my wife’s murder, and I lead by example. Pls share a piece of me, and my story. Alone, I can only run so far, but together we can prevent this miscarriage of justice and get vengeance against the one-armed man.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 30, 2016

• Locked thread