Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a 2003 GS430 (bought new in 2003, now has 160k) and a 2000 LS400 (got it off a family member in 2013 at 90k miles, now has 140k). Those control arm prices for the LS sound way too high, unless you're looking at the LS460s (seem some crazy high prices on those, but I don't really follow them). The GS430 feels a lot sportier and more modern in terms of its performance, the LS400 isn't down that much on power but you really have to hit the gas to get it to move because the car really doesn't want to downshift (keeping it smooth for old people I guess). However, I kind of prefer the LS400 for commuting because it feels like I'm just floating over our lovely freeways, and I feel the bumps a lot more in the GS. Of course, I used to think the GS felt like a Cadillac when my other car was a 350Z, so it depends on what you're used to. Both cars feel amazingly solid when you close the door, compared to most other cars I've been in.

The only problems with the cars have been:

LS400 - some parts of the LCD portion of the radio don't display, really just a minor annoyance. I also tend to go through tires fairly fast, but I really need to update the suspension, I got lazy about rotating tires, and I put Sumitomo HTR Z II tires on the car, which are probably too soft for a car this heavy. However, they made the handling a lot better (but it still handles like a boat). My power steering just started groaning so I'll need to post in the stupid question thread for that.

GS430 - seat heater died under warranty, and they like to eat lower control arms every 70k or so. Replaced a coil pack and also did the motor mounts. The only other issue I've had is a coolant leak where a metal water piece connects to the engine block (I forget the exact name of the part). This would have been an easy fix with a new o-ring if the parts guy at the Toyota counter hadn't insisted it wasn't an o-ring and was in fact actually FIPG. I thought it looked too perfect to be FIPG but he swore up and down it was just that amazingly formed because of robotic assembly lines and all that. Never trust the parts guy (did the job twice, gave up and brought it to a mechanic, they got the $1 o-ring and fixed it without any problems).

If I was going to go with the LS, I get whatever year LS430 got the clear instead of yellow tail lights. That car just looks a lot more modern than my 2000 LS400.

*edit*
I forgot the GS also has an issue with the blend doors for the AC controls. You can buy a whole new module for not that much, but I just opened it up and super glued a piece in place to fix it. Probably took an hour the first time, but would be a lot faster the second. You'll know when it happens because you'll hear a loud clicking when you adjust the temperature.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

leica posted:

Yeah from what I've read on the Lexus forum so far is to stay away from the Nav equipped vehicles which rules out pretty much half of them.

Funny thing too is that the GS300 with a straight six has almost identical gas mileage of the heavier LS430 with a V8....What the gently caress.

This is going to be a tough decision but I'll let my wife have the final say on which one she would prefer. They both seem to be great used car values for the price.

Wanna sell it? :)

My GS430 has nav and it actually works pretty well, and I've had no issues. The only thing is if you want to replace the stereo, you have to swap out the nav for the non-nav AC controls, etc (it's all controlled from the touch screen), so you'll lose the nav if you replace the stereo. I ended up having Factory Radio Service modify the stock head unit to add an aux-in. He modifies it so you can switch between the radio and an aux-in, if you have him put the jack on the front of the stereo it will automatically switch from stereo to aux-in when you plug something in. I wanted it as clean as possible so I had him put the jack on the back of the head unit, in which case he adds a small button to the front of the stereo that looks amazingly stock, you just push the button to switch between radio and aux-in. I then added a himbox for bluetooth support which plugs into the aux-in, but you need a ground loop isolator too to avoid engine whine (when it's plugged into a cigarette lighter for power).

I also forgot the GS430 has the rear sub in the back deck tear, you can buy a new one from Lexus for way too much money, put in an aftermarket one, or just hot glue the edges and have it work for another 2 years (I've had to hot glue it two or three times now). Also, I had to replace the radiators of both cars around 100k miles, but that's probably because I'm a bad person who doesn't flush the coolant.

I did just check the LS400 upper control arms - holy poo poo, they are $500+. I was doing some research and I'll probably go with Moog or Doorman replacement ones, the Moogs are $122/$154 on amazon right now (depending on the side). I think the GS430 lower control arms were a little more than $200 at the local Lexus dealer, and probably a bit cheaper online.

I'd probably go with the GS over the LS, it really handles like a more modern car, and the automatic transmission programming is better. I forgot to mention we made the GS430 the car we transport the dogs in (great danes), and my wife drives it, so it always feel dirty and messy to me compared to the LS. If the GS was as clean as the LS, I'd probably drive it more often. Not planning on selling either car until later this year, I'm going to buy a LS460 off a family member for a great price.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The other thing about the GS is for a while there (I think around 2005, 2006) they seemed to be THE car to have in the ghetto, which meant a lot of them received very lovely mods. I'm guessing a lot of people bought them once the original owner's lease was up, but I'd see tons of them slammed with huge wheels. No one seems to do that to the newer GS models, but the GS400/GS430 from the late 90s to 2003 were incredibly popular for that. Maybe it was just a regional thing in So Cal.

• Locked thread