Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I owned a 93 LS for a while. It h already had years and miles by the time I got it. I don't know if its faults apply to 2000+ but their instrument cluster circuit board (capacitors?) would go bad. A guy in CA fixed them for like 200. Really other than that it was as bullet proof as a 20 year old car can be. Suspension components were absurdly expensive, but it'd give you such a great ride , soft without being floaty, that it seems like an unfair gripe. Lexus makes fantastic riding reliable cars, no easier way to put it. It's gonna have some quirks when it ages but other than those control arms most things were cheap and easy, like shimming a sprocket for the steering wheels auto tilt feature.

Anyway I'd vote LS if you want the best possible ride though the other model might have cheaper parts. Lexus forums are good for this type of info, usually with a sticky for buying used for each model. I think I used club Lexus but not sure.

E I got into a much younger rx350 last year after a Subaru after the LS. I hope to DD Lexi forever.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Mariana Horchata posted:

Don't forget the all important ball-bearing test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AktHnnA9QIM
Around the time this came out SNL did a fake commercial spoof where there was a car that looked like total rear end , rusted and lovely on the outside but inside was posh. The idea being no one would try to steal it. As I recall the ball bearing rolled down a seam circled a dent then fell into a hole in the body. :D

leica posted:

After some more research on parts availability it looks like the GS is ahead so far, many more parts available, at least on rockauto.

On club Lexus now finding out more info.
LS parts are pricey no doubt. The control arms were like $1400 for the pair for whichever was the big ones, lower or upper. My car was so old by the time I replaced them I went with Chinese which wore out in 10k miles versus the 140k miles or so on the originals. E: And my mechanic had a bitch of a time getting them on because they weren't sized correctly which racked up the labor so it was just a bad move all around. At 180k miles the engine still didn't use a drop of oil but it started shutting off randomly. I think it was the main computer but at that point I had let a few other things go (and was on a used computer already), had a kid on the way and decided to get something younger and let it go.

I don't know if it's true but what I read was the early LSs were built from scratch and shared few if any parts with cheaper relatives. Still love the LS though.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 28, 2016

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice
As of 2012 OEM upper control arms were over $500 each and all the aftermarket ones were garbage in the longevity department. This is around the time I replaced mine.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/610572-need-advice-upper-control-arm.html

The topic was common because you had well running 20 year old ish LSes on the road which needed control arms but the cars themselves were worth less than $10k (or $5k even) for the car itself.

Again, things might have changed with later iterations of the LS but that's where things stood a few years ago when I was replacing mine on a 1st gen. The $700 per side was quoted from my mechanic so there might have been some markup versus the cheapest source on the net or maybe that was with labor but I recall that being the parts only which is why I went with aftermarket ones.

clublexus poster posted:

I had to replace my Arnott arms within one year...
Pretty sure those are the arms I got and that's definitely the experience I had.

Lower control arms were much cheaper but still were still in the hundreds per side.

My experience was you started getting the CLUNK over bumps and potholes around 130k miles give or take on original suspension. It gets worse and worse until it's bad but crazily the car still rides better with shot control arms than most non luxury car out there.

If you go to that thread and see related threads you might be able to find an aftermarket control arm which is just as good but you'd want to see someone who ran on them for 10k or better yet 25k miles to see if they really hold up. People were desperate for a working cheaper solution over OEM.

Sill, the LS is fantastic. If you're going to keep it a long time you pay for good parts which will last for 100k+, have an incredible ride and drive it for years or decades.

If you're still not sure lookup OEM control arms for the year you're considering and use that in your purchasing decision.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice
So glad you aren't writing off the LS just because parts are more expensive. It's definitely a case of getting what you are paying for.

• Locked thread