Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I have a 2003 GS430 (bought new in 2003, now has 160k) and a 2000 LS400 (got it off a family member in 2013 at 90k miles, now has 140k). Those control arm prices for the LS sound way too high, unless you're looking at the LS460s (seem some crazy high prices on those, but I don't really follow them). The GS430 feels a lot sportier and more modern in terms of its performance, the LS400 isn't down that much on power but you really have to hit the gas to get it to move because the car really doesn't want to downshift (keeping it smooth for old people I guess). However, I kind of prefer the LS400 for commuting because it feels like I'm just floating over our lovely freeways, and I feel the bumps a lot more in the GS. Of course, I used to think the GS felt like a Cadillac when my other car was a 350Z, so it depends on what you're used to. Both cars feel amazingly solid when you close the door, compared to most other cars I've been in.

The only problems with the cars have been:

LS400 - some parts of the LCD portion of the radio don't display, really just a minor annoyance. I also tend to go through tires fairly fast, but I really need to update the suspension, I got lazy about rotating tires, and I put Sumitomo HTR Z II tires on the car, which are probably too soft for a car this heavy. However, they made the handling a lot better (but it still handles like a boat). My power steering just started groaning so I'll need to post in the stupid question thread for that.

GS430 - seat heater died under warranty, and they like to eat lower control arms every 70k or so. Replaced a coil pack and also did the motor mounts. The only other issue I've had is a coolant leak where a metal water piece connects to the engine block (I forget the exact name of the part). This would have been an easy fix with a new o-ring if the parts guy at the Toyota counter hadn't insisted it wasn't an o-ring and was in fact actually FIPG. I thought it looked too perfect to be FIPG but he swore up and down it was just that amazingly formed because of robotic assembly lines and all that. Never trust the parts guy (did the job twice, gave up and brought it to a mechanic, they got the $1 o-ring and fixed it without any problems).

If I was going to go with the LS, I get whatever year LS430 got the clear instead of yellow tail lights. That car just looks a lot more modern than my 2000 LS400.

*edit*
I forgot the GS also has an issue with the blend doors for the AC controls. You can buy a whole new module for not that much, but I just opened it up and super glued a piece in place to fix it. Probably took an hour the first time, but would be a lot faster the second. You'll know when it happens because you'll hear a loud clicking when you adjust the temperature.

High *and* tight, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread