Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Welcome back!

AC2 is my favorite game in the series (OK I only played AC, AC2 and AC3). Never found the handling bad, but it's probably because I always played it with digital controls, which work really well. Then I tried digital controls with AC3 and almost threw the controller through the screen. Then I tried AC3 again with a Dual Shock and liked it much better - but AC2 is still my favorite, 3 is so drab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Kadorhal posted:

Anyway, as mentioned, this is one of those sorts of missions that helps set apart the PS1 games from the PS2 ones and beyond. You go out of your way to do something a little different and you get to choose what your next mission is.
Ah-ha! I was the only one in my circle of friends who unlocked all the medals and secret missions ("what do you mean, what mission with the paradropped containers?"), because I absolutely, totally destroyed every single white square/arrow on the radar. Every single one. Canyon run? I'd get the nimblest plane available and do a U turn to go back and run the branches I skipped in reverse. I was super bummed when they made it nearly impossible to erase the map clean in Electrosphere, grading you on time elapsed instead

Kadorhal posted:

I'm not going to give away how many missions are like that, but there's a noticeable amount. It's one of the things that adds a good degree of replayability to a game you may not otherwise want to go back to because of the controls.
I see this a lot, what's wrong with the AC2 controls?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

On the surface, relatively little. It's the exact same control scheme as the later Ace Combats, save for the omission of the special weapons with the Select button and target tracking view by holding the Triangle button.

Yeah I had basically no issue jumping straight from AC2 to AH. I found AC3 much harder to learn, the same planes fly in completely different ways and the starting planes in particular have such incredibly bad handling I always found myself scraping the ground with the bottom of the plane. Then I switched to analog controls :v: and finally made peace with a game I had despised when I first played it (AC2 still is the better game IMO, AC3 missions are so repetitive, and the maps are so gray)

How are the analog controls in AC2, by the way? anyone tried them? I tried to emulate a negcon with a dual-shock clone once but man, talk about awkward

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing that most people, myself included, don't seem to like about it though, especially after playing the later Ace Combats is just how sluggish and unresponsive the controls handle compared to the PS2-era games.

My girlfriend has a PS2 but she sold all her best games, including all the ACs, are they worth getting?

Akujiki posted:

It also seems rougher on a system level - I may be missing something but with the lock-on range being as short as it is it seems like, from video footage at least, head-to-heads are basically impossible unless you have killer reflexes or pass close enough to scrape the paint off of them.

It's absolutely totally possible to get head-to-head kills in AC2, multiple head-to-head kills in one go if you play on easy (one missile one kill) or with the fantasy plane (four missiles at once). In fact several missions start with an enemy squadron (typically four Sukhois) taking you head-on to give you a free round of jousting. The only catch is that there are no air-to-air collisions in AC2 (they were first implemented in AC3/Electrosphere), so you can cheese it too easily, no need to play chicken, just kamikaze it

InfinityComplex posted:

Hmm, I read this somewhere but I want to confirm. Is it possible to clear, complete, and not absolutely fail a mission by dying after clearing the final objective>?

Totally possible, like if you crash to the ground after the mission is won. The price of the plane will be deducted from your pay IIRC, since you're a mercenary and all

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Just don't buy Assault Horizon.

Too late v:v:v

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Just to spite you Psion I didn't do the QTE at the end of AH.

You know what I'm talking about :smuggo:

You ruined the game for yourself :colbert:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

EDGE

That name sounds fami-

nine-gear crow posted:

The Ridge Racer franchise, also produced by Namco, features the character of Reiko Nagase, who bears a strong resemblance to the various Kei Nagases, and has been stated (somewhere, I don’t exactly know where) to be the older sister of Ace Combat 5’s Kei Nagase (AC2’s Nagase is implied to be a distant cousin of theirs). Because the Ridge Racer franchise is semi-jokingly implied to also be set on Strangereal.

Oooh

By the way:

hackbunny posted:

How are the analog controls in AC2, by the way? anyone tried them? I tried to emulate a negcon with a dual-shock clone once but man, talk about awkward

AC2 actually supports the dual-analog pad :aaa: I didn't know it even existed at the time AC2 came out. So of course now I have to replay it :v:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

From what I recall on discussions on TFR that only happened because the US Airforce got cocksure about themselves and kept reusing the same flightpath and the commander of the SAM battery getting smart and realizing where to look for the hole in the sky so to speak.

I'll expand further: the bomb bay was the only known vulnerability of the F-117. They knew perfectly that as long as it was open, the airplane was visible on targeting radar, and as soon as a modern missile gets a radar lock, you're as good as dead because unlike in Ace Combat, the fuckers are deadly even when they detonate at a distance and pretty much infallible. Therefore, if an F-117 pilot got a radar warning, he had to abort immediately, close the bomb bay and haul rear end. Getting the window of opportunity just right to preempt the pilot's reactions was the hard part, and it took impressive intelligence work and a special early warning radar (the standard radar, tuned to a longer wavelength - less precise, but it could see through stealth, and through grueling AA drills the Serbians knew NATO radar warning systems didn't pick that wavelength), but it worked. The intelligence network used by Serbians included spies in Italy who called Serbia when they saw the planes take off from the Aviano airbase

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 29, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Leif. posted:

In the Falklands, the British achieved only a 13% pK on their SAM launches against lovely, nonstealthy Argentine, none of which were equipped with countermeasures and none of which had RWRs.

No idea it was this low. But air-to-air missiles are significantly deadlier, aren't they? I mean with current missiles you can literally shoot backwards

nine-gear crow posted:

Su-25 Frogfoot
  • Only appears in Ace Combat 2 and Assault Horizon Legacy.

I could swear it was in AH too

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

Now, if only there wasn't a forced AC-130 segment; so glad that gaming gimmick died.

How dead inside do you have to be not to appreciate the simple pleasure of firing a flying howitzer at infantry

The helicopter and door gunner missions were awful though

drat, it feels like a completely different game. Is the map scaled down? distances look much shorter than in AC2. It looks easier too, in AC2 I could never aim the cannon so easily

And lol is that a Bowser A-10?

Brunom1 posted:

Oh my god, I actually facepalmed once I saw the A-10 turn on a dime for the dog-fight mode.

Someone needs to make a gif of that as a perfect example of the essence of that system.

Lunethex posted:

It's perfectly normal for an A-10 to do that I don't know what you're facepalming about :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqwLUsOYgc4
(Assault Horizon spoilers I guess)

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 1, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Frogisis posted:

I liked that there were helicopter gunship missions, though.

I liked that there were helicopter gunship missions, too. Just not the missions we got

nine-gear crow posted:

PAK FA - Pac-Man

:v:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

The YF-12A (the SR-71 fighter), or something like it, did actually appear in Electrosphere as a high-altitude interceptor, so it's in Ace Combat.

Something like it. The fighter variant in Electrosphere is called RF-12A2, like all real-world planes in Electrosphere an imaginary evolution/variant

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Mach 3 (1225 km/h)

Uh, this doesn't sound right, Mach 3 is ~3200 km/h at the XB-70's service ceiling

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Riass Space Center is home to a number of launch facilities including rocket pads for satellite launches, a space shuttle launch tower, and a mass driver for a proposed single stage to orbit (SSTO) project similar to the Osean Federation’s top secret “Arkbird” project currently under construction at Osea’s Basset Space Center.

Is the mass driver the long runway with the ski-jump? I always loved this mission by the way, even if it didn't make a lot of sense (why was the space shuttle a target?!). Great setting

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I have to correct one thing:

nine-gear crow posted:

• Spawn conditions: Spawns by default.

Not exactly, it spawns if you previously shot down ZOE Captain and ZOE Major. In general, missions with a ZOE ace will spawn the next highest grade ZOE from the last one you shot down: if you don't shoot down Captain, you'll keep meeting Captain; if you didn't shoot down Major, in this mission you'll get Major again instead of Colonel; and so on

e: or maybe I remember wrong, and you'll get the "right" ace but with a lower grade plane?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

There are Gripen's in the mission. They're visible around the 10:00 minute stage around the final objective as SF-39's.

And they take off from highways! like the IRL Gripen was designed to

e: if it looks like I reply before I watch the videos it's because I totally do :v:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 26, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I never found landings difficult, not even carrier landings. But that goddamn aerial refueling minigame in Electrosphere, ugh, I never managed to pass that. Thank god it's skippable

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

And with that, barring the Legacy Extras video, Ace Combat 2 and Assault Horizon Legacy is 100% in the can, both in terms of gameplay footage and recorded commentary. :woop:

No way, I want to see you suffer through Last Resort

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kids these days! My plane of choice for this mission was, coincidentally, the Rafale, and I never had an analog controller for the PS1. I don't think I ever used the F-22 or YF-23, I mean who needs any other plane after you get the Su-27?

Legacy looks almost offensively easy to me

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Did I dream it, or the ADF-01 can also get a radar lock and shoot missiles backwards?

Great Joe posted:

And that's how all three Ace Combat games on the original Playstation supported analog control, even though one of them came out before it.

For the longest time I was convinced that this was the only analog controller supported by AC2! But then one day I told the emulator to emulate a dual analog and it doesn't just work, the game even shows the correct pad in the control setup screen

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, in Legacy, the FALKEN is capable of firing missiles and guns backwards until you nerf it.

Oh in AC2 too. Except ZOE Commander is so easy to shoot down you may never realize it. I think I only found out when I tried to shoot it down with the gun, so it had time to use its gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I love Electrosphere's aesthetics and soundtrack (not a fan of the level design, the "innovations" over AC2 seemed pointless to me) and I'd buy the remake in a heartbeat

• Locked thread