Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I am kind of disappointed you didn't mention a couple of the great nicknames the Skyhawk has such as "Scooter", "Kiddiecar", "Bantam Bomber", "Tinker Toy Bomber", or, "Heinemann's Hot-Rod". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I am very disappointed that no one didn't start their post with "Yo buddy, Still alive?" :mad:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

Only because you didn't see the PM I just sent him!

To be fair I could've just Skyped him the same thing now that I think about it. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:stare:
Well then, that was certainly something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I realized last night that I've gotten really really rusty with my flying as on a whim, partly inspired by the recent update, to hook in my joystick and start up ACAH again just to finish it and see if I couldn't LP it to spare crow the agony of doing it.
I had forgotten it was at pretty much the end of the campaign and how ramped up that difficulty got.
On the flipside I crashed into the ground more than getting shot because the lack of a visible horizon can really screw you over at times. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Just to spite you Psion I didn't do the QTE at the end of AH.

You know what I'm talking about :smuggo:

rear end in a top hat. t:mad:t

drat it crow, get that Legacy video up at some point. :mad:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

only one was shot down over Serbia in '99 when a SAM battery got lucky and saw a radar spike from its open bomb bay.

From what I recall on discussions on TFR that only happened because the US Airforce got cocksure about themselves and kept reusing the same flightpath and the commander of the SAM battery getting smart and realizing where to look for the hole in the sky so to speak.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

You can fly the SR-71 in HAWX! Its missiles magically appear around the plane when you shoot them, and then zoom off. Also, people online had a hard time remembering that the SR-71 is a bad plane to try and maneuver behind people with, so they were usually pretty easy to kill; seeing an SR-71 try to dogfight an F-14 was always fun, though.

Both versions of the SR-71 is in HAWX even, the previously aforementioned YF-12A and the 71 itself are both present in the first game. Never bothered flying any of them really.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

The Crenshaw Counter was and is and shall forever be the best character.

Possibly my proudest online achievement to date.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yup, the Rafale M is the carrier-borne version of the aircraft.

Also yes, helicopters cam fly upside down but it's usually something relegated to light attack ones such as the Westland Lynx or stunt helicopters. And obviously not something you can do for extended periods of time.

I would like to add I would almost play an Ace Combat game where you aside from flying mission, manage a proper full squadron of aircraft and have them fly alongside you.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

fake EDIT: if you end up doing Assault Horizon and show off co-op you better bring me along :argh:

If its the PC version I'm in.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, consider this a PSA then, because the PC version of Assault Horizon is currently on sale til July 4th for $8 on Steam.

What's even better with the PC version is that it no longer has Games for Windows live. And hasn't had for at least two years now or something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

An ace Chinook? That's amazing. Then again, this is Ace Combat, so maybe it's actually the ACH-47A Chinook:

Ah yeah baby, the Flying Fortress of Helicopters: up to five .50 Cals/7.62mms, two fixed-mounted 20mm cannons with two pod-mounted 7.62mm miniguns (or two 19-tube 2.75 inch rocket launchers instead) and a chin-mounted 40mm automatic grenade launcher. Only four ever built, and almost immediately declared a really stupid idea at a time when there weren't enough of the transport versions for regular duties, let alone some armored monster that could barely stay airborne. Still looks cool, though :v:.

I remember reading somewhere about them trying to build a gunship Chinook at some point but it turned out that the vibrations from firing the weapons hosed up the airframe something fierce so the idea was scrapped.

On the flipside, the first major Arma 3 expansion is introducing a Gunship Not-Osprey VTOL.

thetruegentleman posted:

The reason he mentions the pink part is because "light gray" was actually "pinkish gray", basically a more advanced version of the WW2 Spitfire recon plane paint scheme:

"...To make sure they were rarely seen from above, these planes were painted to fly just under cloud cover. Although the planes were ideally meant to fly at sunset and sunrise, when the clouds took on a pinkish hue and made the plane completely invisible against them, they were also useful during the day. Clouds are pinker than we give them credit for...When the blue light is scattered, a good deal of it goes right back up into space, which is why the atmosphere of earth glows blue in some pictures. This filters out a good deal of the blue that gets to the clouds. The clouds scatter what they have, which is a spectrum of light with at least some of the blue filtered out, shifting the overall light ever so slightly towards red. Add to that the fact that the water droplets in clouds can diffract light at different angles, and the clouds are often rife with pastel shades of pink, orange, and green."

Should be noted that pink camouflage has been used before. The SAS Land Rovers used back in WW2 were called Pinkies because they were indeed painted pink to blend in better at a distance in the deserts of North Africa.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 2, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Communist Zombie posted:

Was that the helicopter idea where it would have actual mortars on both sides or was that insanity with a different model?

Possibly something else, even if the ACH-47A armaments were impressive.

quote:

The ACH-47A carried five M60D 7.62 × 51 mm machine guns or M2HB .50 caliber machine guns, provided by the XM32 and XM33 armament subsystems, two M24A1 20 mm cannons, two XM159B/XM159C 19-Tube 2.75-inch (70 mm) rocket launchers or sometimes two M18/M18A1 7.62 × 51 mm gun pods, and a single M75 40 mm grenade launcher in the XM5/M5 armament subsystem (more commonly seen on the UH-1 series of helicopters).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook#ACH-47A

Here's a longer write up I found about the thing as well:
http://www.tailsthroughtime.com/2011/02/one-powerful-helicopter-gunship-ach-47a.html

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At least they gave a cool plane the Samus paint job.
Even if I still think one painted as her ship would've been cooler. :colbert:
Also I realized that these are pretty much the Nintendo equivalent to the IdolM@ster planes. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Regarding what's mentioned in 14A, the JA37 Viggen only shows up as an enemy plane in AC2 and nowhere else.
Also the Gripen is a staple of Ace Combat games thank you very much after at least 4. :colbert:

No, the Gripen NG is in Assault Horizon. You shoot down several in Mission 14 in AHL as an example. Not to mention the Ace is flying an NG as well.

Could've sworn it was B21 and not B3 because of weird reasons.

Petrol Coost? :raise:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can see a new (assault) horizon, all I need's this great reply!

Now there's the reference I was waiting for.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Paingod556 posted:

Not true!

Ace Combat X has it from the second mission onwards.

Now that you mention I remember looking it up for the AC0 LP and it mentioning ACX. :doh:

Paingod556 posted:

As for the names- the Viggen was available as the JA37 interceptor, AJ37 strike fighter, and SF37 recon platform. But the Draken and Gripen both use the SF name as well, which doesn't match anything- the former did have a recon model, the S35J, and the latter has only been the JAS39. Maybe they just wanted it to be 'Saab Fighter' as their shorthand (like the Kfir being the KF-C7 and Tornado the TND-F3) :shrug:

The reason why there isn't a dedicated recon variant lies in the name actually. :eng101:
JAS in this case stands for Jakt (AtA) Attack (AtG) Spaning (Recon) to reflect the multi-role capability of the Gripen.

I saw this in my twitter feed and couldn't help but to think of the thread:
https://twitter.com/Hush_Kit/status/752122489480806401

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I will not take any smacktalk about Lode Stone not being a great AC2 track thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

Also that ending. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

*He's probably gonna kill me for saying that.

It's not the first time I've heard that, and then I haven't touched a real Clancy book since Bear & The Dragon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's because he suddenly forgot how to write around the time of Debt of Honor. And then after 9/11 his brain just broke for good.

Yeah pretty much. I didn't even realize how flawed Bear & The Dragon was until much later. Didn't really parse the dumb politics in it when I read it. Even if I did think it wasn't all that great.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That said I kinda like Rainbow Six.

Same, for all its issues (and it has a lot of them) it's still enjoyable.

I mentioned this to Crow after recording this episode (I think) but if Kadorhal does his HAWX LP I will (try) go through the HAWX book chapter by chapter. Because other people need to see how bad that book really is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

Now I'm conflicted as to whether I actually want to do it if I'm going to effectively subject you to something like that by doing so. Oh well, maybe I can make it up to you by... I dunno, doing Vegas 2 afterwards and dedicating the LP to you or something.

It's going to be a while before I can actually do it either way. That thing about upgrading is getting stymied by lawyers refusing to actually do lawyer things and finalize a sale so I can afford the upgrade.

You don't have to. I mean I've read the book once already and I could just do it in crows AC4 or 5 thread if I so wanted.

Funny enough I've had the idea of LPing R6 Vegas 2 as well. But I'm awful at making these things happen.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

Also, Vegas 2 doesn't have the TACTICAL INTERNET van, therefore it's just not worth it. :rip:

Maybe not. But it does have the dumbest plot motivation and the loving worst final fight.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There are Gripen's in the mission. They're visible around the 10:00 minute stage around the final objective as SF-39's.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

Yeah, I immediately noticed them in the briefing too now that I watched the final video. Still, for every one of them there's like two to four F-15Es and Su-37s.

True, they are almost a bit more numerous in Legacy and in later games.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ooopsie, update on previous page.

AC2:
Well at least it didn't end with a plane backflip. :v:
Also that is ridiculously dangerous flyby of that carrier.

Legacy:
Wait what, they had Norio Wakamoto doing the voice for Keynote in the Japanese version?! :aaa:

I know I've said this to crow during a post-recording chat but Like a Phoenix Rising is probably one of the grimmer AC tracks out there to me just because it specifically mentions that all opposition shall be destroyed and it's futile to resist.

Otherwise I think the Legacy soundtrack is the weakest of the lot. Might be because most of the music isn't made by Kobayashi, Nakanishi or Okubo which means it doesn't really feel the same as the other games. I mean two of those composers have been doing music for the series since at least AC2.
It has a couple of good tracks here and there but I think I rank the ACAH soundtrack above it.

Also, ommitted from the credits.
Both times too. You bastard. t:mad:t

I'm probably the most active past midnight thanks to my hosed up sleeping schedule so I could do recordings then just fine.
Not to mention I've pretty much done that already when doing commentary for this.

However, I am very curious to see how AC4 unfolds. I have listened to that soundtrack so many times throughout the years.
Rex,
Rex tremendae majestatis,
qui salvandos savas gratis,
salve me, fons pietatis.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Snark posted:

See I've always felt the opposite about that song. I love it because to me it's about how badly the player character stomps their enemies into the dirt. It's great.

To be fair that makes it pretty grim too if anything but I can accept that interpretation of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It looks like you screwed up a bold tag at some point around or before the weapon list by the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I know I've mentioned this before but you all forget the newest Godzilla movie where F-35's just pretty much fall out of the sky thanks to MUTO's EMP blast.
Also Pacific Rim start with two F-22's getting blown out of the sky by the first Kaiju.
Then a number of 22's got wrecked in the first BayFormers and possibly more so in the second or third one.

Also that was quite the finisher there. :golfclap:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Is that what they're calling Transformers nowadays

Pretty sure I've heard the term being thrown around for the Michael Bay ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Hulk riding around on a helpless F-22 will never not be funny.

Nah, that was the F-35 in this case. I don't think any 22's appeared in that movie actually even towards the end with the nuke launch.

• Locked thread