Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cooked Auto posted:

I am very disappointed that no one didn't start their post with "Yo buddy, Still alive?" :mad:

Only because you didn't see the PM I just sent him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

yeah if this thread is gonna have any trolling, it's gonna be ace combat related, such as "Ace Combat 6 is basically 04 but done better" and "AH is better than 04"

oh wait that's telling the truth :getin:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Casualty posted:

Glad you were able to Stay Fly instead of dancing with the angels.

I love everything about this post.

nine-gear crow posted:

I swear to loving Christ when we get to Ace Combat 6, I'm gonna make that phrase a probatable offense.

nine-gear-Shamrock

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Casualty posted:

:toxx:ing that poo poo. Make it happen yo!

May the golden king smile upon nine-gear-crow in his quest.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Casualty posted:

Honestly I beat that game so many times that the very concepts of dancing and angels harden my heart.

Same. I don't even know why I did half that poo poo like the multiple runs of the entire campaign in a single plane, etc etc, but there you go.

e: air to air missions in a Tornado with guns only was a real pain in the rear end, that I remember

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I can safely say at minimum I have watched the intro cutscene to mission 1 with every single plane and probably every plane's alt color schemes at this point, yeah. I played a lot of AC6.

I think the only achievements I don't have are competitive MP because ugh, the less said there the better

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 21, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

This thread is a safe space. All opinions are welcome and equally valid here. Even wrong ones.

well yeah, otherwise you'd have to stop posting in your own thread! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Frogisis posted:

It's neat to be able to see both versions side by side. E: You're all going to poo poo on me but I thought dogfight mode in Assault Horizon was a nice little lark in terms of a new way to do stylized arcade fighter combat and fun enough to sustain one game. But I like rail shooters and hate open world sandbox games so take what I say with a grain of salt.

no, I think you've got a legit point. DFM had a lot of implementation problems which we've all discussed, but, conceptually, it solved some problems plaguing the average player of old AC games. Of course, it's been so poisoned by fan response they'll never get to iterate on that concept and make it good in actual practice in a single-player campaign, but eh.

You never hear complaints about ASM though, and I think that's for good reason. Individually plinking 400 ground targets was boring as poo poo, so taking 10 minutes of ground attack and compressing it into 1 minute of explosions, was a good choice, especially in terms of mission pacing. AC has never had compelling ground attack in terms of "here's a shitload of targets, go have fun with that" which may explain the series fetish for tunnels and/or A-10s with FAEBs, among other "just wipe out everything on screen" attacks.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 23, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

thetruegentleman posted:

I'm going to go with people actually knowing what a Mig is, but having no idea what the hell a Mirage 5 is

yeah, exactly. Top Gun had F-5s standing in as the infamous 'MiG-28.' 1% of the audience might care it's an F-5 or Kfir, the other 99% only care it's The Bad Guy Plane, and MiG is a known manufacturer.

thetruegentleman posted:

It really just needed something to make it as dangerous as it was powerful.

Multiplayer did that: your opponent could, and in my experience frequently would, counter your attempt at DFM and shove a missile and gunfire up your rear end. DFM could be a shortcut for you to get a quick kill; it could also be a shortcut for your opponent to counter you and quickly kill you instead. Risk:reward! SP failing to do so was probably DFM's second biggest flaw.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 23, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

and that reason is "absolutely get 5 and Zero"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hackbunny posted:

Too late v:v:v

good, you're staying fly

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That's suprising to me, because 4's mission design is like 100x clunkier than any part of 5, but it's not like 4 is bad by any means

hackbunny posted:

You ruined the game for yourself :colbert:

yeah, exactly. The only person you hurt was yourself, Lune.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just wish it were a better one. Warwolf is ... very awkward. Especially given how often someone says it.

Of course it's small change against "every line of dialogue in Ace Combat 6," so there is that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe you are forgetting that the C-5 is also nuclear capable :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96A0wb1Ov9k

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

just title it "Crenshaw. Crenshaw? Crenshaw!! CRENNNNNNNSHAWWWW."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

If its the PC version I'm in.

i'll absolutely stay fly with you guys

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mortars instead of howitzers actually makes some sense for an airborne gunship role, though. I saw a proposal a few years back to re-gun the AC-130 with a 120mm mortar instead of the 105 howitzer. I imagine it went nowhere because taking an artillery piece and flying around with it is way more :patriot:

also the USAF went for viper strike/griffins to provide stand-off/PGM capability, which was a sizable part of the sales pitch for the 120.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kadorhal posted:

Now I'm conflicted as to whether I actually want to do it if I'm going to effectively subject you to something like that by doing so.

do it do it do it do it

Also, Vegas 2 doesn't have the TACTICAL INTERNET van, therefore it's just not worth it. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

Maybe not. But it does have the dumbest plot motivation and the loving worst final fight.

I laughed out loud at the ending plot motivation reveal, that's true.

• Locked thread