Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Glad you're still with us, Crow. As someone who lives pretty close to where the H1N1 originated... sorry! Please accept my (non) official apologies.

For Ace Combat 5 I recommend that you fortify your basement and keep a three month supply of water and food. And a generator, so you can keep uploading the videos, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

nine-gear crow posted:

Now, for the uncomfortable real world elephant in the room stuff. Yes, that is the World Trade Center right there front and centre in the middle of downtown Anchorhead. The Strangereal games have a history of importing real world landmarks into their various fictional locales, and since this game came out in 1997, no one could have imagined something like 9/11 actually happening.

That said, as I’ve pointed out in other videos, and as you’ll see in the Legacy version of Mission 3, Project Aces actually removed the twin towers from the Anchorhead skyline for the remake and replaced it with a generic very tall building.

Just a personal opinion, but I've never understood the whole erasing of the Twin Towers in all sorts of media because of the 9/11 attacks.

So, because they're not there now, means they must be retroactively erased until no one remembers there were those two buildings and how they were destroyed? I don't see it happening with other places or landmarks that were destroyed in a disaster, so it kinda sticks like a sore thumb that the Twin Towers tend to be replaced/erased. The most egregious example I can think of is in the "Mad about you" TV series they had an opening with various NYC shots, and that series ended in 1999. But after 9/11, the reruns had no more shots of the Twin Towers, which makes it very weird.

I thought americans were never going to forget about them, that's all. :911:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Leif. posted:

It's a game about shooting down planes, in which you can fly your plane into the Twin Towers. You don't understand why there might be sensitivity to that?

I think that would be more appropiate for flight simulators. But if that's the concern, then why not just take out all tall buildings from the game? Or make them intangible?

I can understand why the remake didn't include them in the map or not wanting to add them to modern games, what weirded me out was the whole going over old media and erasing them.

Crow, are you going to show the "special" stuff? I mean the different planes you get

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

thetruegentleman posted:

Guerilla forces are almost always bad guys, 'cause they kind of have a reputation for being rapists and murderers in the real world: even in game, the boss said the crates probably had chemical weapons, so...yeah, they're bad guys.

Good guys in this kind of situation generally go by the names "resistance", "partisan" or "commando"; bad guys tend to go by "guerilla", "terrorist", or "insurgent", while "revolutionary" and "rebel" can go either way.

One man's guerilla force is another's resistance. :colbert:

At least they're not filthy "mercenary" dogs, fighting for whoever pays the bill, with no honor and no beliefs. :v:

• Locked thread