Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm going to diy hell because I'm pretty serious about this fake white brick wallpaper.
The red brick and stone patterns are too tacky, even for me. The fake books and cat photos are disturbing me with psychic resonances of regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

I'm going to diy hell because I'm pretty serious about this fake white brick wallpaper.

It's your place... I'm a modernist and would never fake a material. If I couldn't afford a material I'd do the best I could within my budget. Though if you plan on selling the home later you can leave the wallpaper removal to the poor bastard that buys it. :q:

Though sometimes I don't understand that and faking it is almost a style of its own. An old landlord of mine that I had a really great relationship with paid another mutual friend to paint the already fake Corinthian columns he had to look like marble.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

xwing posted:

Sort of. It's more a budget thing. Cheap builder homes will generally have them because it requires less finish work. Many also don't like to put their feet on cold flooring if they don't have a heated slab.

I for one like carpet. We've got hardwood and tile in our house where necessary, but in the bedrooms and living/family room we rock carpet and wouldn't have it any other way. Crawling around on a floor with kids on a carpeted floor is just so much fun and better than cracking things on a floor. I also can't stand when people have a nice hardwood floor then just put a huge area rug on it covering 90% of it up. If you were going to do that just carpet it (I know the rug on wood is a look in itself though) but to each his own.

I remember my Grandpa telling me growing up that only the really rich people had carpeted houses and it was always such a drat pleasure to just lay on it.

I can DEFINITELY agree that some people have the nastiest most disgusting carpet, but if you take care of it and shampoo it on the regular it can and does rock. Now if I walked into a house that was completely hardwood I probably wouldn't slap carpet on it no, but I maybe would in kids bedroom at least.

My 2 cents on popcorned ceilings: Every house I've ever lived in including my parents' house growing up has had them so it doesn't bother me, but I agree they are pretty ugly. I'm pretty confident in every place I've lived they were used to cover seams or cracks but thankfully in my current house it's purely cosmetic. I plan to scrape it all off one day for sure but for the time being I don't mind it too much.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 2, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What's the deal with chandeliers and couches in these designer bathrooms?!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The chandelier is like the rooms own dingleberry

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Something I am doing ATM. This is 12 cubic meters of soil (about one truckload), good stuff, no rocks in this unlike the first 200 cubic meters we got elsewhere for our lawn. We didn't put a lawn above the support wall and only had gravel, but it was too much gravel, we have a pretty huge driveway (panorama shot from last year) so we're adding a patch of lawn there. And filling in other places in the lawn that needs it...

In addition to adding a lawn here we'll also get rid of the remaining gravel infront of the house and cast a concrete walkway in place over it. Having a cement mixer makes everything look like a concrete mold.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Any housegoons have any good tips/articles for bringing a yard back to life? Our backyard is looking pretty patchy and I want to try to salvage it before it completely turns to mud.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

That's one area where I'll farm out the work. It's pretty nice to have a company come in and spread whatever needs to be spread at strategic points throughout the year. Just find the "greenest" company you can so you avoid destroying your area's groundwater as much as possible. The organic stuff doesn't work quite as well as the toxic stuff but at least you can sleep a little easier knowing that you aren't tracking poison into your house, esp if you have pets and/or children.

I did it myself one year and it was a huge hassle. $30/application 6 times per summer is well worth it IMO. Plus the guys I have are lawn whisperers and are mixing in various amounts of nitrogen, potash, etc. depending on conditions.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Soon will be time to outfit my remodeled bathroom. Delta, Moen, Kohler -- about the same, one better than another? Looking for middle of the line quality, something that works and is reliable.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

stupid puma posted:

That's one area where I'll farm out the work. It's pretty nice to have a company come in and spread whatever needs to be spread at strategic points throughout the year. Just find the "greenest" company you can so you avoid destroying your area's groundwater as much as possible. The organic stuff doesn't work quite as well as the toxic stuff but at least you can sleep a little easier knowing that you aren't tracking poison into your house, esp if you have pets and/or children.

I did it myself one year and it was a huge hassle. $30/application 6 times per summer is well worth it IMO. Plus the guys I have are lawn whisperers and are mixing in various amounts of nitrogen, potash, etc. depending on conditions.

Organic is actually higher in environmental toxicity due to its lower efficacy leading to both more applications and more product used compared to the "toxic stuff."

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

wormil posted:

Soon will be time to outfit my remodeled bathroom. Delta, Moen, Kohler -- about the same, one better than another? Looking for middle of the line quality, something that works and is reliable.

The delta faucet and showerhead I had were total pieces of poo poo, the Moen stuff I replaced it with are awesome, and my Kohler toilets have not clogged in three years now and not for lack of trying.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I bought a Delta from a wirecutter/sweethome recommendation and one of the buttons broke in like the first six months. I'll check out Moen

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Budget Dracula posted:

Any housegoons have any good tips/articles for bringing a yard back to life? Our backyard is looking pretty patchy and I want to try to salvage it before it completely turns to mud.

Depending on where you live, it might be too late in the season. If it's not, rent an aerator, buy however many cubic meters of compost you need to cover the yard, rent or borrow a seed spreader. Do your research on what type of sun your yard gets, bc grass seed is as expensive as gently caress lately. Aerate first, then seed, then rake the compost and seeds evenly across the yard, trying to break up the soil plugs as you go. I still like to spread a light dusting of straw over a newly seeded yard, but I know they make better products (no weed seeds) nowadays. If I'm getting a late start, I usually stick my grass seed in the freezer for a week before getting started. Don't forget to give it a good soaking every morning before leaving for work.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

wormil posted:

I have had bad experiences with Delta and good ones with Moen. For toilets, I cannot recommend a Toto Drake enough. It's a beast.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I would only consider a Ferguson.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well it sounds like Moen or Kohler are the way to go.

Are there any good options for tub/shower walls besides tile?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

sirr0bin posted:

I have had bad experiences with Delta and good ones with Moen. For toilets, I cannot recommend a Toto Drake enough. It's a beast.

I bought a penguin shitter. I tend to clog low flow toilets, so the overflow protection is pretty great.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Do wallpaper steamers not exist in the united states? I helped my friend remove the wallpaper from his old-people-inhabited house and we rented a steamer for €20, filled it with water and the whole thing came off like soft butter. Fill the tiny air holes in the underlying concrete and the surface was good to go. No tearing, no leftovers, no glue.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hambilderberglar posted:

Do wallpaper steamers not exist in the united states? I helped my friend remove the wallpaper from his old-people-inhabited house and we rented a steamer for €20, filled it with water and the whole thing came off like soft butter. Fill the tiny air holes in the underlying concrete and the surface was good to go. No tearing, no leftovers, no glue.

Underlying concrete? Not sure where you live , but I think it's very unusual to have concrete anywhere in the walls in a house in the UK or USA.

Plasterboard, plaster or drywall over wood frame or brick/blocks is usual.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

wooger posted:

Underlying concrete? Not sure where you live , but I think it's very unusual to have concrete anywhere in the walls in a house in the UK or USA.

Plasterboard, plaster or drywall over wood frame or brick/blocks is usual.
He lives in the ground floor unit of an apartment building, his walls are load bearing for everything on top of it. I live in :geert:, where either poured cement or concrete masonry units are common in multi-unit/multi-floor structures, brick-faced so it doesn't end up looking like a sadder version of the Barbican Estate (although those also exist).

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

whalesteak posted:

Depending on where you live, it might be too late in the season. If it's not, rent an aerator, buy however many cubic meters of compost you need to cover the yard, rent or borrow a seed spreader. Do your research on what type of sun your yard gets, bc grass seed is as expensive as gently caress lately. Aerate first, then seed, then rake the compost and seeds evenly across the yard, trying to break up the soil plugs as you go. I still like to spread a light dusting of straw over a newly seeded yard, but I know they make better products (no weed seeds) nowadays. If I'm getting a late start, I usually stick my grass seed in the freezer for a week before getting started. Don't forget to give it a good soaking every morning before leaving for work.

Yes I live in VA so all the research I have done says to wait til the fall, I messed around with hand aerator I bought and put a bit of seed down but it sounds like I shouldn't go full hog until the Fall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This is the wallpaper sample book http://www.sangetsu.co.jp/digital_book/re16/index_pc.html
Chalkboard function stuff on Page 11-12! Terrible things on Page 27-28! Retro kawaii Page 89-92! And... Snoopy?! Good grief!

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Budget Dracula posted:

Yes I live in VA so all the research I have done says to wait til the fall, I messed around with hand aerator I bought and put a bit of seed down but it sounds like I shouldn't go full hog until the Fall.

If you water twice a day, you could probably skip the aerator and just rent a dethatcher to open the soil up modestly, then do a light seed spread and a quarter inch of compost raked over that. You won't get the best growth, but if you have kids that will be playing on it, or host frequently outdoors, it will improve your lawn for summer, and tide you over until fall when you can do the whole shebang.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I just put wallpaper in one room of my house because it was an easy way to hide the cracks in the 100-year-old plaster walls. I can't really imagine choosing it over paint if the walls are new, though.

I used this 3d pattern, which is pretty cool-looking in person, but I am afraid it's going to damage easily.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like that. It can be hard to visualize a pattern on a large surface... like this... :iiapa:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 9, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stairs in my house.

I'm regretting the small window in the bathroom/linen area. There's still time to install a (kawaii) interior window (to the main hallway, facing the front door) for a little bit of light and air flow...

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Organic is actually higher in environmental toxicity due to its lower efficacy leading to both more applications and more product used compared to the "toxic stuff."

I've not seen them apply before but they apply 6 times per summer (I'm in MN). Is that more frequent than normal?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Why do American houses have so many baths/showers?!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

peanut posted:

We enjoy not being filthy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

peanut posted:

Safety Dance posted:

We enjoy not being filthy.

We enjoy listening to other people in the bathroom.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

peanut posted:

Because modern American houses are built on the assumption of two heads of household working. Which means two people having to get all their poo poo done to get out the door for work, traditionally at the same 9am start, plus the possibility of kids that have to be out to school about the same time as well.

To make all that happen in the space of an hour or so, you need more than one place to hose off.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol just lol if you only shower in the morning, bourgeois pigs

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I own a house now. Painting cabinets: normal hassle or huge hassle? My wife wants to go from dark brown to off-white.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Thufir posted:

I own a house now. Painting cabinets: normal hassle or huge hassle? My wife wants to go from dark brown to off-white.

Do you want to touch and use the cabinets after? I've never seen a painted cabinet that doesn't wear away to the color underneath in a few months.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Depends on if the doors are paneled, and if so how much. I redid my kitchen cabinets and painting the cabinets themselves was easy, but I ended up throwing away the old doors and making new ones rather than sanding/priming/painting them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shampoo posted:

Do you want to touch and use the cabinets after? I've never seen a painted cabinet that doesn't wear away to the color underneath in a few months.

I painted my cabinets a couple years ago. No wear issues at all, including where they need to be repeatedly wiped down from hand prints.

Paint staying where it's supposed to is 95% about prep work. Do a crappy job and it will turn out crappy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Scaffolding gone!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Scaffolding gone!

Looks great, major progress in only 5 pages.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

Qwijib0 posted:

Depends on if the doors are paneled, and if so how much. I redid my kitchen cabinets and painting the cabinets themselves was easy, but I ended up throwing away the old doors and making new ones rather than sanding/priming/painting them.

This is in progress and yes, it is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Upstairs walls are done. Closet shelves are installed. The bathroom sink-vanity is being assembled. I decided on wallpaper. There's still time to make adjustments...