Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Find a wardrobe or big cabinet that fits well in the alcove. Put all of the existing crap in your new closed storage. It's a bathroom? Stack rolled towels on top of the wardrobe in the angled area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You would want slippers with padding. Don't get ones with rubber or plastic soles since that'll be just like wearing shoes around, you want the big fluffy kind so your feet don't hit the floor as hard.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It depends on the situation. My super has the key to the knob lock, but not to the deadbolt I added. It's a big NYC apartment building, and I'm not giving the key to my super because he'll put it in a cabinet where five constantly-changing porters, all the meter guys, and anyone else who walks through the basement can access it. That would be a worse idea.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, it already had a space for a deadbolt with a hole and everything, and they mentioned it when they showed me the place. It's a pretty safe neighborhood, but not having a deadbolt seems unwise anywhere.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm sure it has that boilerplate. The super could climb in through the window if he wanted, but worst case in an emergency I guess they would drill it out and I would pay for a replacement. The super knows he doesn't have my key and he's fine with it.

I have plenty of renters' insurance, but a young woman living alone that's not my biggest concern.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Yeah, that's sensible. Getting a deadbolt that you can only lock from the inside seems like it would avoid most of the issues.
I also have a chain on the door. But I mean it's not just "stranger bursts in at 2 am bent on rape," it's all the smaller bullshit possibilities. Like a few years ago, I started a load of laundry in the laundromat, and instead of sitting next to the washer, I went back to my apartment to start dinner. When my timer went off, I went back to the laundromat aaaaaand all of my underwear was gone. It wasn't like traumatizing, but it was a real pain in the rear end and a surprising amount of money that was a lot at the time. And I could never leave the laundromat again.

So the equivalent here is all the smaller stories I've heard a million of: you could have sworn you left a $20 on your desk, your security camera turns up someone coming in and jerking off in your underwear drawer, you find a hidden camera, etc. The chance of it happening is relatively small, but I prefer a 0% chance.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Surely in that case it would be more important to keep all the keys for myself

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think this is the kind of time travel where your possessions don't come through with you. That would explain all the nudity and the missing underwear as well as the need to hoard keys

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Oh to be clear, I'm not leaving the deadbolt and taking the key, that would be crazy. When I leave, I'm taking the deadbolt and key for my next place, and the landlord will have the door in exactly its original state, with just the knob lock and a bunch of holes (that predate me) where a deadlock fits.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Hubis posted:

If you're fine with them drilling your locks in the case of an emergency then you should be fine with them not having to drill them as well.
That makes zero sense. I'm fine with them drilling my locks in a noisy, public way, because I'm confident they would only do that in a real emergency. I'm not fine with my keys being stored in an unlocked, untended cabinet in a public area where anyone passing by can help themselves anytime for any reason.

I don't get why people are having such issues with this when it's legal here and my super is totally fine with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

life is killing me posted:

For apartment buildings and condos, it's standard procedure for the management company to keep the keys in a lockbox or safe afaik. Like you, they don't want people just waltzing in and grabbing keys. It'd be bad for business.

Your concern is understandable though. You don't see where they keep the keys or how secure they are, so in that case I'd also be fine with them drilling locks if they needed in.
No, I see exactly where they keep the keys and how secure they are. They're on a pegboard in the super's room in the unlocked basement.

Hubis posted:

Neither am I? :confused:
Okay, well, that's why I'm fine with them drilling in an emergency but not fine with giving them a key!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, I always wind up living in buildings that have not plaster-and-lath, but some ancient plaster-and-chicken-wire setup. Stud detectors are useless, which makes everything fun, but it's not actually magnetic enough to hang magnets on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you know an autistic perfectionist, that sounds like a dream matchup. If he installed it just a year ago he'll probably be pissed and replace it possibly for free if you listen to him jabbering about how those incompetent faucet makers disosnded the skdodoej.

If you really just want to do it yourself and it's just a kitchen faucet replacement, that's the kind of thing you can definitely do after watching a short youtube video.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I like open neighborhoods, but privacy fences let you swim naked (if you have a pool) or at least gently caress in the backyard, until drones get even more common anyway. A hard choice

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You're not the first person to have thought of that, they'll have rules against it. Even the existing 10' is usually pushing it.

Qwijib0 posted:

I've got a 7' in the back
:mmmhmm:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It doesn't matter if clawfoot tubs are all the rage on Pinterest if you like it, you expect to keep liking it, and it works for you. It's okay to like things even if they're popular. I agree I would think about logistics, but if that checks out, go for it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

From using the clawfoot tub in my house, it is terrible for taking a shower. The shower curtain closes in on you and feels cold/gross the whole time. I would try and sample a friend's shower if you haven't used one before, if you even have a friend with a clawfoot anyway.
Try something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F4VMVL/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
By "hire someone," do you have kids in your neighborhood? Kids who'd like to make 50˘ per taproot?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tomarse posted:

you surely only need enough spare storage containers to deal with short term fridge or cupboard leftovers?

By all means have more that are constantly in use, but if there are a lot sitting around empty then you don't need them
The container that holds my lunch is different from the container that holds soup or a cut-up pineapple or a pulled pork shoulder or three dozen cookies. They aren't all in use simultaneously, but they still all have jobs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You guys are way overthinking this. I live in NYC and I see a bunch of people who've done this:

1) Get a self-contained smart doorbell and mount it with a Command strip
2) Use masking tape to cover your old doorbell, possibly with an arrow pointing to the new one

That's it. Charge the new doorbell every couple months and don't gently caress with wiring at all. The only downside is that this system is just an intercom and video, it won't actually buzz them in, but you can always run down or drop your keys down (or let them enter a PIN on the off-chance your system's already set up that way).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Also, it's two little screws and whatever new blinds you buy will probably come with brackets

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
In general if it's something easily reversible that you can do in 5 minutes with a screwdriver, the landlord/super would strongly prefer that you do it yourself.

If it were my apartment, I would wrap the gross blinds and hardware in a big trash bag, throw it in the back of my closet, and install whatever system I wanted. (That's exactly what I did in my place.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I am big into gray, and textures make it really homey and inviting. Also if it's a playspace for kids, their toys, books, drawings on the walls, and whatever other crap will be more than enough color.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's such a perfect circle (obv) that I love the idea of making it a deliberate feature. If it were on the railing you could do a sundial, but if it's on the floor, I think a compass would be cute. Add little bonus direction headings for your parents' house or where you always go on vacation or something.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are some that blow it through a filter and then back into your face. The bottom of microwaves that go over the oven have that kind, but there are standalone ones too. They all do nothing

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
How about a gazebo somewhere else in the yard?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Are you aware that moths eat clothes? If you have moths in your house, you'll end up with holes in all your clothing.
#notallmoths

No seriously, clothes moths and pantry moths are both specialized species. Most regular old moths you see outdoors are just doing their own thing with zero interest in your clothing, even if a couple of them follow the light and end up inside.

If you do have an infestation of either clothes or pantry moths, take a pic, identify the moth, then go looking for the source of the issue.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The home improvement thread isn't full of moth experts, BUT this thread is! You'll need an unblurry pic and what state you're in. You can also just google "moths [state]" or "gray moths [state]" and look through a list with pics.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
0. Renters' insurance

It's so important, you absolutely don't want to be in this position again in a few years

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Renters insurance wouldn't replace landlord provided furniture. But yes everyone should have it.
I'm not suggesting it would've fixed it this time. But a good time to get renters' insurance is when you get a bunch of stuff for your apartment, which they're just about to do.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It depends partly on how much you want to spend. I'm not an expert, but I would just call plumbers to get the pipes routed where they need to be, and talk to them about installing the sink/toilet. Tbh if everything is in place, putting in a new sink/toilet isn't that challenging -- you can watch some YouTube videos. I also would not call a contractor to hang a mirror so ymmv.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Cat piss

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

loquacius posted:

Somewhat more basic home-maintenance question than my last one: my house is 1930s-era and the walls are made of lovely horsehair plaster. They hold standard picture-hangers etc fairly well, but if I'm drilling into them to mount something more substantial (like a curtain hook, nothing load-bearing or whatever) there's a fair-to-even chance that the plaster just crumbles away and leaves an ugly hole slightly too big for whatever I was just drilling in.

In particular, the lovely smoke detector that was in the house when we moved in has just loving fallen out of the ceiling. I have a new one all ready to go, but I'm just thinking about that crumbly lovely plaster and deciding I should probably have a plan ahead of time so the exact same thing doesn't happen.

tldr: Is there a best-practices way to deal with drilling into crumbly plaster?
I'm not an expert, but this seems like a perfect situation for command strips. The force won't be in the expected direction, so go ham with them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I love floorplans but I hate that floorplan.

Something is very wrong with the kitchen, either it's tiny irl or if the dimensions are correct, it's drawn way wrong. There's no island and no pantry?! The oven isn't in the kitchen???? The music room is just a bullshit hallway. The wet bar is right next to the kitchen. Laundry appears to be jammed in one of the tiny bathrooms (I guess second laundry, presumably because it's such a loving schlep to the basement laundry room). It's in Minnesota and there's no mud room and if you enter through the garage, you have to traipse through half the house!! There's almost no closets/storage??

Obviously I'm not saying that pantries and walk-in closets are necessary for life, but in a house of that size, those are some unhappy priorities

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

peanut posted:

Did you look at the full listing photos, everything is gorgeous and perfect and huge. Unf it's really good with original built-ins and huge but practical windows.
https://www.remax.com/mn/saint-paul/home-details/80-mississippi-river-blvd-n-saint-paul-mn-55104/17891400993991960096/M00000345/5287437
Huge rooms and a nonsensical layout is how you get McMansions :colbert: it doesn't matter how much woodwork there is if you can't fit two people in the kitchen and you're always having to go get dressed in the basement

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

daslog posted:

There are small ones that will fit, but they don't really fill the space up and I'm thinking that will look weird.
Just put a cookbook or something in the remaining space. It'll look fine. I also have a weirdly small microwave space, so I got a small microwave, and it's fine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Kids are pretty good at evaluating risk and not doing dangerous stuff they’re not capable of. Sure, accidents can happen but in this particular instance I feel like the risks are minimal. Hell, the three year olds are jumping off the slide most of the way up now.
That might be true around 3. The issue is in a few years when they get the great idea to climb around the outside of the house and use the swing beam as a balance beam

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
We would like all the chalet pics please

also, is there a DIY discord?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Can anyone recommend a handheld showerhead? I'm not looking for a combo or anything with a weird fancy docking system. I just want a plain handheld with a handful of settings, a regular dock, and plenty of psi. 2.5 gpm is fine, I'm not in an area where I have to think about drought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I absolutely don't want the halo/combo kind, it's just another thing to get hosed up.

When I moved in, I got a handheld (probably in the $60ish range) that I've been happy with. But it's been 8 years and I think there's just too much internal buildup. I would buy it again if I had a clue what model it was!