Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Omne posted:

Got a quick painting question...

We painted some large horizontal stripes in our powder room to give it a bit of jazz. Unfortunately, we didn't know that using painters tape on orange peel walls is not very effective, and we've got some bleeding both up and down. What's the easiest way to fix this, without screwing up the straight line? The lower lines seem like they'd be the easiest, but how do I prevent the top lines from bleeding white down into the blue sections?

What it looks like from afar: https://imgur.com/a/58Hvfcd

And what it looks like up close: https://imgur.com/a/1cMPczt

You could take a very fine brush and fix every spot by hand, but that would take forever probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PremiumSupport posted:

I have never seen insulation on cold water pipes.

Where do you live that it doesn't ever freeze?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Pex is easy. I would avoid the sharkbite fittings myself for the copper to pex connection but lots of people use them and I haven't heard of any issues yet.

As for pex you can either go the crimp ring route or expanding (uponor) route. I've got uponor and haven't had any issues. It has some advantages over crimp ring like being more flexible and bigger inner diameter on fittings, but the downside is the tool costs more for it. Crimp ring is easier to find in stores too. I have to go to plumbing specific stores for uponor stuff.

I have a friend of a friend who had a crimp ring break on them and flood their house. I think you're safer from that kind of catastrophic failure with uponor simply because of the physics behind it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sirotan posted:

Well that's not very cool. I think the uponor style is what I've seen demo'd on This Old House a bunch, wonder if I can rent the heat gun thingy for that vs having to buy one...

Not a heat gun. Just a big expander. Check pawnshops in your area for the Milwaukee one, it's the best. I got mine with all the bits and 2 batteries for like $300 out the door.

E: I see some on the FB marketplace for $200 now!

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 3, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My inspector was poo poo but at least he didn't miss literal poo poo.

It pisses me off when people brag about an inspector giving them a report with X number of pages. As if that's a measure of any kind of quality. Mine was like 10 pages and had such amazing items as "Doesn't have a handrail for the 2 step entry sidewalk" and "cracks above some doorways and windows". No poo poo, I have eyeballs too. I'm not paying you to state the obvious. Go find poo poo I can't see on the listing photos.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Buy both properties, offer to rent them the new house as well.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My house has old wood windows that each part, top and bottom, have 6 separate panes of glass with wood grilles between them. Like this:

Is there any way to convert each half of the window to one large pane of glass? I realize in the past it probably made more sense to have individual pieces so that when one got damaged you could swap it out with less waste. However, that's not really a concern of mine. From an initial inspection, it looks like I might just be able to pop out the grilles to convert them.

My reasons for wanting to do this are two. First, all the windows need reglazing and I would love to cut my workload down to a 1/6 of what it currently is. Second, the glass is really old and cloudy from being sandblasted over decades. The windows need all new glass anyway and once again, I would like to cut my workload down on that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ntan1 posted:

Legitimately, why not just replace the entire window?

New windows are expensive. New glass is not.

Thanks for the help everyone! There's a shop nearby that sells old windows from demos so I'm going to pick one up and try a refit on it first.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm not disagreeing they're not better in every way, but you're never going to recoup the cost of the windows in energy savings. Its a nice to have if you have to replace them, but it's still more practical to stick with whatever windows you've got.

Does anyone know where I would go to find someone or a company that would cut all the panes of glass I would need. Cutting 156 small panes sounds almost as bad as having to reglaze them all.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I took an axe and a chainsaw to a stump in my front yard and had it below ground level in a few hours.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Step 1) use a chainsaw to cut it to ground level
Step 2) stump grinder

E: surely you mean 12" not 12'. If 12' then holy gently caress

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Torx are the best. I try to use them exclusively now.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I feel like we just had this chat in one of the other threads but the tl;dr is that insulating the beams and flooring is a bad idea in a crawlspace because it can and will trap moisture unless it's installed absolutely perfectly and that will never happen if you're hiring someone to do it. I bet your encapsulated crawlspace is humid at this very moment because even though they probably laid down poly sheets, they almost certainly did at least one part of it wrong and water has found those spots. Did they install a big dehumidifier down there? Is it draining properly? Those are important factors too.

My house in Texas has a vented, uninsulated crawlspace and it hasn't gotten very cold yet but I'm not too worried about cold floors. My recommendation is to wear socks or slippers and don't try and fix what isn't broken just because of current building fads.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
:stare: I'm glad you found that sooner rather than later

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I stayed at an AirBnB once that had a speedqueen and it was magical. We put in like 8 beach towels with normal clothes and it cleaned everything perfectly. That would have killed my washer at home.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Make sure to have a plan for when you release Hexxus.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It was/is. I have some voids in a tree and there's a lot of articles I found online about filling them with concrete to keep water out (and why it doesn't work).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Post pictures of the removal!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I buy tools for projects I haven't even started yet

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

devmd01 posted:

The 10k quote was for the entire first floor, 3 windows. I haven’t seen the detailed one yet, the wife hasn’t forwarded it to me.

Finished up all the windows; I used some foam backer rod to seal up the bottom gaps. A plastic putty knife worked well to shove it down into the gap. It may be placebo effect but the house already seems warmer from sealing all the drafts.

$3,300 per window seems high to me? Are these huge windows?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 9, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You can get an a testing kit on Amazon for like $30 and that includes the lab fee. I've sent a couple of suspicious looking materials to them and it hasn't come back as asbestos yet! They not only tell you if it is or isn't asbestos, but what it actually is, which is kind of helpful. I've found some suspicious sub flooring underneath the linoleum in my kitchen and I'm going to get it tested before I touch it.

E: can jet fuel melt asbestos beams?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Looks like termites to me. The mud in the wood is what makes me think it's termites and not carpenter ants. I've had carpenter ants and the wood had huge galleys eaten into it, but there wasn't any mud.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

I give up. Renting sucks, bad infrastructure sucks, landlords suck. I’ve outgrown this and I need to start thinking of home/condo ownership. Is this the right thread to ask newbie questions about house hunting, purchasing, financing, and maintenance?

:yeah:

You seem like me. I rented a bunch of different places and I always wanted to fix and upgrade poo poo that wasn't right but I never did because I was specifically paying a premium not to by renting. I bought my first house almost 2 years ago and have been working on it ever since. I've spent more than I could ever save renting but my house is the way I want it, and if I don't like something I can change it. That's worth it alone for me. Also having a garage and a yard is :krad:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Let me guess, they require you remove them?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There was a lady selling a used ceiling fan on FB marketplace for $30 and when I offered to come get it she told me I had to bring my own tools and uninstall it first. :lol:

I told her I'd do it if she took $20 but she said $30 was as low as shed go and that she had other people waiting, so I told her I wasn't interested.

That listing was up for at least a month before it was marked as sold.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just had roofers finish up installing my new roof, and while using some mineral spirits to remove some oil from a vent cap, they accidentally spilled some on the asphalt shingles creating a discolored spot that's not going away very fast/at all. How big of a deal is this? The inspector said if it stays discolored or I'm otherwise displeased they'll reshingle that area. Is there any issues with reshingling? Luckily it's just below the top line of the roof.

e: photo. Of course the shadow happens to be right over it

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 26, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Do you have a jack of some sort? Look on YouTube for examples of how to jack pokes out of the ground. Should work for a basketball goal too. The just back saw the metal pole into pieces and throw it somewhere in the backyard until bulk trash day.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DrBouvenstein posted:

3, technically, but I don't think any are the right kind. I have a lovely scissor jack from my car, a less lovely but not still not great bottle jack from my truck, and a regular floor jack I bought since the other two are only good for changing a tire.

Looks like I'd need a farm jack/hi-lift jack?

And I had thought about cutting it off short, but I tried to go at it with my sawzall and didn't get very far before my blade was hella dull. It's a decent blade, too. I have another of the same brand that's 100% fresh (previous one had very light usage, just some nails,) but it's only a 4" blade, really need a 6 or 8" to do it right.

I'm going to be trying to use my bottle jack to help my girlfriend remove some concreted in wood posts in her yard this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When your house doesn't have an outlet where you need it, you install another outlet :science:

Or if you do it wrong
:tif:

I just redid my bathrooms electrical this weekend and while I still have a few pieces left it's so much nicer already.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
E: should have refreshed

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My 1960 or 1970 counters are 22" deep and gently caress it sucks. Nothing lines up, nothing fits. Not even modern sinks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That's actually his belt. The collars on the other side.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
What you're looking for for your door is weather stripping and if your door, like your house, is 1 year old it should have it already. Check the door frame for foam/rubber around the inside.

If it's missing then there are several types available. If it's there but ruined somehow you can just replace it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So project posting.

I've wanted a medicine cabinet with an electrical outlet in it for charging my toothbrush and other poo poo, but if you look at how much a medicine cabinet with that feature costs. It's utterly ridiculous. I think the cheapest one I could find was around $800.

Fuuuuuuuck that. So I pieced together my own solution utilizing my existing 1950 medicine cabinet, a recessed media outlet box, and a dremel.

I still have to finish wiring it, which will be done after I put in another outlet in the wall below the sink, but I think it turned out pretty great.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I feel like I searched every version of "medicine cabinet electrical outlet" possible so no idea how I missed those. At $30 total though my solution is probably a better value anyway.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hasselblad posted:

I kind of wouldn’t want to keep a toothbrush in a closed space like that. Could get funky.

I had that thought as well but there's a sizeable gap around the door when it's closed that I think will be enough to keep the air moving.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Be careful inside the HVAC unit. That poo poo is high voltage and can kill you if you're not careful. Sounds like you're on the right track though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ghostnuke posted:

I use mine all the fucken time. I got the m18 brushless milwaukee one and it owns.

I own the Milwaukee M18 FUEL Hackzall (single handed sawzall) and it also loving owns. Can cut through anything I've thrown at it. Two by lumber, nails, metal, tree limbs, galvanized steel pipe, cast iron pipe, etc. poo poo owns and I love it.

With that said I used to own the Milwaukee M12 Non-FUEL Hackzall and it was a bit anemic. Better than nothing but I also had an old corded Sawzall for bigger jobs like two-by lumber.

So the devil is in the details with them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The problem with swinging benches like that is that so much of the weight is in the bench and it catches the wind. It can cause the bench to swing back and forth quite a bit in a storm and if a gust hits it at the right time with the bench at it's climax, the whole thing tips over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got the termite bait stations through terminix and would do it myself if given the option again.

They use exactly these bait stations.
https://www.domyown.com/advance-termite-bait-system-kit-p-1331.html

Get a 2.5" bulb auger off Amazon to install them and you're good to go.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 13, 2020