Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Any housegoons have any good tips/articles for bringing a yard back to life? Our backyard is looking pretty patchy and I want to try to salvage it before it completely turns to mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

whalesteak posted:

Depending on where you live, it might be too late in the season. If it's not, rent an aerator, buy however many cubic meters of compost you need to cover the yard, rent or borrow a seed spreader. Do your research on what type of sun your yard gets, bc grass seed is as expensive as gently caress lately. Aerate first, then seed, then rake the compost and seeds evenly across the yard, trying to break up the soil plugs as you go. I still like to spread a light dusting of straw over a newly seeded yard, but I know they make better products (no weed seeds) nowadays. If I'm getting a late start, I usually stick my grass seed in the freezer for a week before getting started. Don't forget to give it a good soaking every morning before leaving for work.

Yes I live in VA so all the research I have done says to wait til the fall, I messed around with hand aerator I bought and put a bit of seed down but it sounds like I shouldn't go full hog until the Fall.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Is there a pest control thread? I came out find these little holes in the deck today. From my research I think they are wood boring beetles (mainly based on the evidence and the fact my beagle tried to eat a big beetle in the back yard the other night). My question is are there treatment options or if you have wood boring pests do you pretty much just wait for the wood to collapse and replace it?

We've been in this house last than a year but I think the deck is fairly old so it will need to be replaced eventually. I just don't want these things getting in the house itself.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Well the previous owners had a termite company under contract that passed the warranty onto us, the inspector came out for the annual inspection and just said they were spider webs but then he showed me a bunch of carpenter bee holes I missed.