Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

Our architect said that Japan just doesn't do insulation in internal walls. Idk is that a thing or what?

Unless it's acoustical... no one really insulates interior walls. The envelope is where the thermal load is being dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

Look on Houzz for more fancy bathrooms than you ever thought possible.

I worked for a client that was upgrading a home for his mother-in-law. He was about 6'-6" and couldn't stand that the home had a ceiling at 8-4"... so we made plans to raise it all to 10' which was funny because his wife and M-I-L and were 5' tall Filipina women. As part of the submittals I saw the cost of the master bath fixtures and tile. $100K in just cost. No labor.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

kid sinister posted:

How much work are you doing in this bathroom? Depending on the extent of your renovation, your city/county may make you move that panel. You would need to ask them.

Don't mention who you are or location. The last thing you want to do is cause yourself extra cost because you tried "to do the right thing". In most jurisdictions there's a threshold for what a renovation is considered. For me it's 30% of the property value. This is for permits and code compliance. So if you stay below that you can do many things without triggering full compliance with current codes. Here that's used to shut down localities that are real pricks and want you to get a permit for replacing windows and then be fully compliant with the energy code (insulation and all that entails).

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

Older houses have brick-size vents at regular intervals, but this kind of skinny megavent is the new standard. It keeps animals out, at least.

I like it... do you happen to know a name for the product or what it's called? Right now concrete and block in my area has doubled in cost. Not only do I think it's absurd that that was the standard anyway, but now that cost is way up I think that crawl space designs can make it back.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Zhentar posted:

I think it is this "Joto Vent". But don't do it! Turn away from the dark side, choose the conditioned crawlspace!

This is for my own personal interest. I have no professional use for it right now. My day work is entirely commercial/civic where a crawl space doesn't happen.

It is interesting to me though that raised homes with crawl spaces totally went out for slab on grade here in Florida. It's really localized our current situation though with concrete and block masons... we're looking at having to go to steel framed in our projects because all our budgets are getting blown. There's no reason any of that couldn't work for residential and be a cost effective though.

I'm also a total nerd with different stuff... we've got a AAC block manufacturer in the county and I've been itching to use that somehow.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Zhentar posted:

Ah, I'd thought you did more residential from some of your other comments.

I recently read about someone building their house with AAC (here). Interesting stuff, but I can't see a whole lot of value to it for residential construction (cold climate, at least) unless the installed cost is competitive with CMU blocks.

I used to design more residential. My current firm is all commercial and civic. I might moonlight doing some residential work in the coming years though for the added income since there's no real conflict of interest to do so.

The company referenced there in that article, Aercon, is in my county. So it should be decently competitive since shipping wouldn't really be a cost. I've been waiting for the opportunity to design for it, but it's so hard to get anyone to do anything different and I think I'd need a fire-rating issue to justify it. Who knows, I've got a contractor pretty much bending over to do use Tailored Foam and a synthetic stucco system where the I don't see the benefits at all.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Magnus Praeda posted:

On the plus side, I also got to spend $100 on a bunch of Kreg stuff to build built-in bookcases. :homebrew:

Kreg stuff is money well spent. When I got my pocket hole jig it was "Pocket Holes for EVERYTHING :homebrew:!!!"

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

Wallpaper. Wallpaper? Talk to me about wallpaper. Wallpapers.

Don't do it. EVER.

It's a bitch to take off and I don't think anyone ever has said, "That's some nice wallpaper" that isn't ancient or completely tasteless. Maybe there's some new fancy glue out there that's easier to take off, but wallpaper... :barf:

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

His Divine Shadow posted:

Wallpapers are the norm in scandinavia.

Are ladders hard to come by there?

Wallpaper was a thing decades ago. It's seriously a bitch to remove. If we encounter it in a project we usually tell the contractor to not even bother taking it off and to just put up 1/2" drywall over it because the labor cost is just too high to get a clean paintable surface. We've generally ditched wallpaper but "popcorn" textured ceilings have endured which is the only thing I hate more than wallpaper.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

His Divine Shadow posted:

Indoor carpeting was a thing that was decades ago here but is still a thing in the US...

Sort of. It's more a budget thing. Cheap builder homes will generally have them because it requires less finish work. Many also don't like to put their feet on cold flooring if they don't have a heated slab.

I prefer wood flooring myself. The wearing of the finish doesn't make me feel gross like old carpet.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

I'm going to diy hell because I'm pretty serious about this fake white brick wallpaper.

It's your place... I'm a modernist and would never fake a material. If I couldn't afford a material I'd do the best I could within my budget. Though if you plan on selling the home later you can leave the wallpaper removal to the poor bastard that buys it. :q:

Though sometimes I don't understand that and faking it is almost a style of its own. An old landlord of mine that I had a really great relationship with paid another mutual friend to paint the already fake Corinthian columns he had to look like marble.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
What's the substrate? Do you have an attic or other condition where you can't insulate from the inside? It can be done but like the article I'm going to post below there's other considerations. You'll want to have rigid backing IMO. There might be a shingle you can get that'll install over foam, but I'd keep safe to an OSB or plywood sheathing over with really long screws to your rafters or first sheathing layer.

Look at this article: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/articles/dept/musings/how-install-rigid-foam-top-roof-sheathing

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Alereon posted:

I have a knee wall attic converted into a bonus room that takes up most of the upstairs floor space, it has fiberglass batts on the outside of the attic ceiling and walls. The "floors" of the unfinished area outside the knee walls are uninsulated, and while I'm not sure what's under the shingles I see wood planks above the 2x4s if I look at the inside of the roof from this area. My main reason for considering exterior insulation was to avoid issues with thermal bridging and keep much of the heat generated by the sun shining on the roof from entering the house in the first place, as well as giving me more flexibility to decide what to do with the attic space in the future, vs just blowing a bunch of insulation in outside the knee walls and calling it good. I had found that article in my Googling, I would be looking at Option 2, where I reach my goal R-value with a combination of exterior and interior insulation, and I do understand about needing the rigid insulation to be a minimum % of the total R-value to avoid moisture issues.

My main question is whether it's typical that roofers would be able to do the foam panel installation along with the rest of the roof, or if I should expect to need to involve someone else. I'd do a more thorough review of feasibility and correctness (especially around ventilation) when actually making a plan. Thanks!

Yes, depending on the zone you're in it the point where the temperature change passes the dew point inside the rigid insulation... thus no moisture issue! Someone who deals with "flat" roofing more shouldn't have a problem doing the insulation. It really depends on your area though. I know for me down south I'd have to look at commercial roofers that have experience with exterior insulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

um excuse me posted:

The left side of that closet is the outside wall of the house.

Slab on grade? They're going to tend to slope a slab to the exterior so that if water ever gets in it would drain to the exterior and not pool inside. It doesn't seem that unusual to me. I once had a door that was so out of wack because of the floor it was amazing it worked.