Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
TEchnology Connections with an interesting video on HVAC practices in North America, and heat pumps. I found it via FB share and it seems to be unlisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsQjiPlksA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I guess I am lucky that my local stores are usually cheaper than most big box alternatives. I get the impression the big chains are greedier and want bigger margins which allows the small places to compete.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Constantly learning new things here, fridges with water spouts is a thing now too.

I'm glad my kitchen faucet puts out water cold enough to hurt if you drink too fast.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well the norm in america perhaps, but I've never seen this in real life in Finland, nor do I think I have ever seen a fridge or freezer with an ice maker either in anybody's home. I know icemakers exist since I see them in stores (most models lack them). But never a water spout. I don't think it's common here to pull water lines to where the fridge sits either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ice makers have existed here for as long as they have in west germany but have never caught on. I'd say it's the mentality of people here, it's simply not seen as desirable or worthwhile enough for most people. Making ice is the easiest thing in the world in the freezer anyway.

I guess we're a bit anti-conformist in that way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I am tired of my induction stove top crashing and blinking and beeping E - E - E - E sometimes. I miss my grandmas wood stove.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you miss splitting and hauling wood?

Because as someone who grew up with a wood stove and aged into being the low chump on the family totem pole who got to walk outside in the freezing loving cold to haul in an armful of wood, split some wood, or stack it all when a truck load got delivered let me say: gently caress that noise.

Also it's really nice to have cooking heat for exactly the 45 minutes that I need it rather than a constantly tended fire.

I split and haul wood regularly as I use firewood for additional heating/sauna and I'm about to chop up for next winter season soon. It loving rules. Not having a nice firewood stove in my kitchen is genuinely a thing I dislike.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yes it is, it's probably one of the realest woods out there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

FuzzySlippers posted:

I hate painting so I expect it’ll be just bare drywall for a while. I don’t really know what I want to do with it but half the garage is already drywall (facing the interior) so I figure getting that uniform is a good place to start.

Actually want I want is some lovely wood paneling everywhere because I’m nostalgic about dark mildewy old basements/garages but everyone else would hate it. The reaction from visitors when they found out I added wood paneling would be pretty funny

I rolled on the cheapest white paint I could find, just to brighten the room up. It really helps IMO. The original drywall was brownish so not that pretty to look at. Didn't bother mudding any seams either.

Working on another place soon and it'll be OSB and just cheapest white paint again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You guys keep talking about hardwood floors but over here we got softwood floors :colbert: