Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

peanut posted:

Why do American houses have so many baths/showers?!

We enjoy not being filthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dig it out, or use any sort of HighLift jack / machine capable of lifting upwards to pull the post out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I tried the digging approach on 30 ft of fencing and it took far to long with my soil type and the 3 foot hole they were in. I have another 50 posts i have to pull and would like to get it down to like 30 minutes to pull and auger a new hole, so hand digging will be a last resort. I am going to try the double car jack method this weekend on a test post and see how it works. Will report back with results.

You're gonna need a jack like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-6530.html and a length of chain. Whatever jack you have in your car probably won't cut it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rnr posted:

kneepads in your work pants are not optional, super happy I had them in.

I just bought kneepad pants; super excited to quit grubbin' around and bashing up my kneecaps on everything.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

I've got a weird one.

A year ago we bought a house, about 1400sq ft. It's a little post-war cape style that had a second floor added onto back in 2010 or so. I only give the background because of this:

we have two zones to our heat (upstairs and downstairs) but we have what looks like the bits to do....five zones? You can see that only two are hooked up, the others are capped off. I asked the house inspector about it and he shrugged and said "this whole thing *gestures* was way overbuilt. I have no idea why but it's not wrong and it's not bad" Can anyone think why the previous owners would build in 3 more zones of expansion?

Adding those extra valves and pipes didn't cost all that much, and the manifold is ready if you wanted to split one of your zones into two or add another expansion onto the house. I betcha the contractor talked 'em into it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, grab this remote sensor:
https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-C7189U1005-Indoor-Temperature-Thermostats/dp/B003UJYZDG?sa-no-redirect=1

Should work with this t-stat: https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-...ZCT87XJERR2SRA5

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mexican Radio posted:

I have a hallway closet that I'd like to replace with built-in drawers. Are there prefab units for this? I've googled on it but what I come up with are mostly closet organization systems, where what I'm imagining is a pre-built system of drawers that I can install in the rough opening of the ex-closet and put trim around.

I pondered this for a minute. Could you measure the width of your opening and go to IKEA and find the organizer / bookshelf / chest of drawers that fits inside, and trim around it yourself?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"'Rustic', here, being a term that means 'like tripping and falling over on our own walkway'." - Lemony Snicket

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hubis posted:

This. I had a kid, and now I am suddenly obsessed with lawn care and wood-working.

Kids are a few years out for us, but I'm approaching 30 and drat I want a lawn and a nice little shed with a table saw and some chisels and...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

It is super weird to me as a Canadian that so many Americans just wear their shoes in the house. I have never understood that.

In the northern part of the country where it snows and you get a lot of mud, it's common to have a mudroom or at least some dedicated shoe place by the door, which is a convenient place to take off your shoes. In the south, you don't get as much mud, so you either take off your shoes in the garage (imperfect solution at best) or wear them in the house. Even in the south, I'd say that half of families are no-shoes-in-the-house families.

Basically, it's none of your business what other people do in their own homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I helped my friend empty her grandparent's central vacuum system once. It wasn't as unpleasant as you might imagine.

We also had a gigantic central vacuum system in the wood shop in high school. I'd absolutely install one in a workshop in the future, and I'd be tempted to extend it to the kitchen / other rooms where you sweep a lot, because gently caress dust pans.