Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

emocrat posted:

If you have access to natural gas/propane then that's great for a cooktop. If you must have an electric cook surface, I recommend an induction cooktop. I replaced our old electric with induction last winter and I love it. Much much more responsive temperature changes, easier to cook without burning, much finer temperature control and much less waste heat making the kitchen hotter. I ended up with a higher end Samsung model http://goo.gl/vMbshX Note, I did not pay 3600 like that says. we got it new for 2700 I think. Induction is pricier in general though, they bottom out around $1000 I think.

Seconding to plan out trash/recycling locations ahead of time.

Induction is awesome, but be aware not all pots and pans will work with it. Pretty sure that they will work if a magnet will stick to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

peanut posted:

lol are they really a shape and size that's good for ~herbs~

Yeah, you can get vertical hydro kits if you dont want to throw something together yourself.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Yeah, what peanut said. It would take me less than a week to get pissed off at that lip and the bruises it leaves on my shins. Plus the malm has handy storage areas that you might actually use.

Someone in the woodwork thread just made their own with a funky feature of an inbuilt shelf with down lights that looked schmick as, and im pretty sure im going to try and steal the idea when I build mine.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

This makes me wonder how having storage drawers on the same side of the bed as the nightstand is supposed to work. gently caress it, I'll figure it out somehow.

Thats why I like the idea of the headboard containing a shelf. No need for nightstands.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So my mum is too short to access the top shelves in the kitchen, and I want to come up with a method where she can easily, that isn't a step ladder.

Is there such a thing as a reverse version of the cake mixer hinges?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That's exactly what I want thanks

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

My kitchen has a piece of board in it that's as far as I can tell untested and kinda gross, and I don't like resting anything on it directly. What's the cheapest option to fix it that doesn't involve ripping it out? I can't make large scale changes like those.

Sand it back and cover it in epoxy?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have been asked to clean some poo poo off a wall, and I was wondering the best way to do it.

I have been told its on top of a thin layer of concrete over brick. Are there any secret methods that cut down on the manual labour, or is it a case of scraping that fucker till its all gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Not sure if this is the place to ask but here I go anyway.

My partner has an aluminum screen door and the top hinge has been pulled away, so its just connected by the bottom hinge now. She has asked me to take a look at it, but Im more geared towards woodwork. It looks like it was joined by pop rivets and they have detached, but I dont know the best way to fix that. Do I drill out the original hole and then reapply the rivets? Should I take the entire door off to make it easier? The hinge is still attached to the wall, so if its not broken there I dont really want to mess with it, but if I have to I will.