Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I hope this is the right spot: Fence Chat For Dummies, does anyone have a good quickish method of getting the old 4x4 out of the ground? I am almost positive that the old posts (20 years old) are not cemented. A co-worker said using car jacks on the 4x4's can get them to come out but I wanted to get a second opinion.

I just pulled some old posts out of 30 inches of clay. I dug until I could wiggle a 1/2 inch gap, then filled the gap with water. One more wiggle and they came right out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

wormil posted:

So how difficult is tiling a tub/shower? The tv shows make it look easy but I know better than that. 60 year old house, I gutted and remodeled the bathroom but the framing around the tub is original. What I'm worried about is getting the cement board nice and flat, my understanding is flat goes a long way toward making tiling easier. I'm kinda surprised there isn't a foam product to go between studs and the cement board to compensate for minor variations.

When I did tile jobs, green drywall went on the studs, got mudded and taped, and then cement board on that. We cut the cement board with a circ saw (outside) and vacuumed the edges, and vacuumed a lot inside before screwing anything down. Tile mastic was used to fill seams and touch up any gaps.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

null_pointer posted:

Oh, good, we're doing lawn care chat!

Has anyone actually rented a core aerator and done the work, themselves? I got quoted about $450 to aerate and overseed about an acre-and-a-half of lawn. Wife immediately got an attack of the vapours and collapsed on the faintin' couch, so I never had the work done, but I will be good god damned if I go through another season with my poo poo-tastic lawn. The soil is super-compressed in many parts, so it definitely needs it, and everything I've read seems to indicate that core aeration is so tedious that paying someone else to do it is well worth it.

In addition, is there such a thing as eco-friendly lawn fertilizer that isn't just manure? I've got two dogs and can't have them tromping around in feces, and my desire to have a great lawn is lower than my desire to not hasten the death of the ecosystem.

I think you want Milorganite.

Edit: 1st Crocus today, SEMI.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 13, 2017

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Metal studs don't have the holding power of wood for simple idiots who need to hand something on a wall and can't use a drywall anchor.

Have you considered having the ducts vacuumed? In most cases, a person who is allergic to cats is allergic to their saliva, which is on all of their fur and dander because of their hygiene.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I used to rent a place next to a cheapskate who bragged about how much money he saved building his addition with studs 24 inch oc and 3/8 drywall.

His wife went butt-first through the wall moving some furniture.