Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've got a problem that I thought was going to be easy but it's turning out weird.

Master bedroom is carpeted, master bathroom is tile. Shower is next to the door, with about three square feet of space between it and the door; if it were dwarf fortress the layout would be, like,

STT
WDW
CCC

S=shower
T=tile
W=wall
D=door
C=Carpet

About two weeks ago (during the big freeze) the central carpet section by the door got sodden, like, soaking sopping wet. No other moisture through the wall on either side.

1st night: With a lot of towels and a blow dryer we dried out the carpet and stopped using the bathroom completely. Put towels down over the carpet spot.

Day 2: carpet was wet again. Wife went under the house and looked with a flashlight and saw wet insulation and boards beneath the bathroom. Called a plumber.

Day 3: plumber crawled around under the house and ran water and looked for leaks etc. Didn't find anything. Did see water, but didn't see leak streaks or marks, didn't see any signs of actual leaks.

Advice plumber gave: water might be coming down through the tiles, let it all dry out for a few days, get a bath mat etc.

We use the other bathroom for a week or so.

Yesterday, wife takes shower in master bathroom.

Tonight, carpet patch is sodden again.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if maybe the shower is leaking but only when there's the weight of a person in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Gonna go with: The grout is starting to crack around the edges, and the builder didn't use cement board under the tile. Despite the fact that I ran every faucet in the house three times and had no issues, the master bath leaked into the kitchen during the first shower. Ultimately what we did was use an oscillating tool to cut out all of the grout, and re-grouted with three-part epoxy grout. It's been good for about three years so far.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Pictures may be useful here.

What type of shower do you have? If it's a tub style you could try max filling it and then get under the house and look for leaks again.

How bad does the water damage look underneath? If your subfloor is rotting out you may need to rip up all the time anyway which may help with diagnosis.

Update:

Water damage doesn't look TOO bad underneath and we at least don't see any rotting. It's hard to take pictures due to low light and weird angles in the crawlspace. Shower is a one-person prefab stall unit, not tile.

We did some more testing (this time involving one person taking a shower while the other person went under the house) and from what we can tell, the leak is caused by running the shower WITH the weight of a person inside it; run the water with no person, no leak, person steps in, leak.

It's a stall shower not a tub shower so I'm guessing something in the fiberglass underpinnings of the stall has given way over time maybe? Gonna call the plumber back out and have him take another look to confirm.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 21, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hubis posted:

Bad seal/mechanical connection around the drain?

After a lot of close up inspection it looks like it's a combination of two things:

1) Hairline fractures in the shower stall base through which water is leaking when we stand in the shower, and

2) other hairline cracks in the bathroom floor tile grout that are "wicking" water away over to the master bedroom carpet.

Still not certain but that seems to be the direction we're heading in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cruft posted:

Yeah, my first thought was also hurricanes or flooding. It turns out there are actually laws all over the place preventing insurance companies from setting rates based on risk. This is why there is still a lot of coastal construction happening. As these laws slowly get overturned, insurance rates are beginning to reflect the actual risk of a place, and we're going to an increase in migration even beyond what's already happening after a neighborhood gets flooded 3 times in a 10-year period.

I mean, definitely go shopping around, but be prepared to discover that everybody's going to charge you far out the rear end to insure a home in a high-risk area for hurricanes or flooding. Which is pretty much the entire state of Florida.

People have been predicting this migration for years, and it's going to be a hell of a thing.

Due to the way insurance laws are structured, people often end up *having* to remain, because FEMA will pay to rebuild, but not to move. And they can't sell, because nobody wants to buy a flood disaster, so . . .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You could try just yanking with pliers from the outside but that might cause more damage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there a Goon Consensus on the best induction home range? Is the Bosch 800 still the consensus best dishwasher?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There was a discussion of the fireplace TV thing somewhere around here recently. The long and short of the discussion was that there's a significant risk of the heat loving up your TV, depending.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Two other points for Team Hardwood:

1) wood ages *better*. Nobody will ever pull up old carpeting and be excited to find an old lvp floor underneath. Old hardwood floors have character. Old dinged up plastic floors are just trash.

2) counterintuitively, hardwood is softer to walk on. I'm a big guy and I kinda stomp around and over the course of a day I can definitely notice a difference in my joints if I've been walking on wooden floors or on something else. Obviously carpet is even softer but carpet is just rubbing your feet in fecal matter after a few years no matter how hard you clean it (as you can easily tell by running a steam cleaner over it a few times).

Bonus extra credit point: if it were really a luxury product they wouldn't have to name it luxury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cyrano4747 posted:

What it should really be compared against, though, are the various wood laminate and similar low priced wood finishes.

That's absolutely fair. My current place has a wood laminate flooring and after ten years it was wearing out and lvp would definitely have been a superior option.