Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My driveway is 20+ years old and in rough shape (lots of cracking and big depressions running the length of the driveway from where I drive my cars.

I'm going to get it repaved with asphalt and I was wondering what do I need to make sure the paving company does so I end up with a good solid driveway that will last a while.

From my research online it seems that a base of gravel (not sure about the thickness or type), followed by an inch or 2 (compacted) of HL8 asphalt and then an inch or 2 top layer (compacted) of HL3 asphalt is the popular recommended process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What's the new hotness for interior window trim and baseboards?

My house was built in the mid 80s and all the trim is solid oak with a clear varnish. I'm going to replacing all the windows soon (the original windows were replaced about 30 years ago so it's time to do them again) and there's a bunch of options for the interior of the windows from plain white to various stained woods (oak, maple, walnut, etc.). I was thinking of going with varnished oak to match all my trim and then having the trim refinished at a later date.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kid sinister posted:

Refinishing is much cheaper than replacing. What's your budget like?
The trim is all in good shape but it could use refinishing. That's why I'm wondering if I should stick with the varnished oak or do something else. I hadn't really thought about a budget right now since I'm focused on the windows but maybe $5K - $7K for all the trim in my house? I don't know if that's reasonable or not. My place is about 3,800 sq. ft.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

devmd01 posted:

Nicely stained wood trim never goes out of style.
That's kind of the direction I'm leaning in. Looking around online, I've found a lot of examples of new homes with stained/varnished wood trim.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, ok, thanks everyone for validating what I was thinking.