Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bought a newish home (2020, one previous owner) and the sink smells like dirt. did the baking soda/vinegar/almost boiling water thing but then started looking at the drain pipes and realized that the pipe seems to be sloping the wrong way.

is the pipe sloping the wrong way??

the p-trap is to the left

also the ptrap appears to leak a dark black goo that ive resorted to catching with a tray

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

as far as im aware, dont have a warranty. guess i could call the builder and ask. sounds like fun...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

so, does the pipe need to slope the other way then?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

okay, and what's the blue poo poo connecting the pipes, do i gotta get some of that?

is there a youtube video that will inform me enough not to gently caress this up?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Or pay the professional $150 to do it.
happily! time to put this raise to work!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Question about engineered quartz - I'm looking to see what my options are to repair what appears to be some splotches that are left by what seems to be a food container that probably had lime juice or something acidic on it.

The damage is only able to be seen at certain angles, so its hard to take a photo of but I managed to get two.

this is when you look straight on at it, there's really nothing noticeable

So, I'm wondering how I can get this fixed so it gets that quartz reflection back and doesnt appear to have some weird splotch on it. Reading up on manufactured quartz, it seems like it is super tough and hard and non porous, but it's one Achilles heal is acid reacting with the resins in it, so things like a resealer don't really apply here like they would for marble.

If I had to guess, I think the path to fixing this is to polish/resurface it out, which would involve a handheld polisher, various pads (including a diamond pad) and then potentially something like this with a `snake revealer` and some other solutions https://www.granquartz.com/quartz-renew

They say it's not a diy job... but, if I cant get a local quote to find someone to do it for me (which has been sort of hard so far) I may be desperate enough to give it a try and learn how to do this because I'll be having these countertops for a while...

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 20, 2022

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shower hanging chat: get some small suction cup hanger hooks.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i have a light switch that has started to cause my lights to flicker. the switch controls the basement lights, there's a switch at the top of the stairs and another at the bottom. the one at the top i think is the problem, flip the switch to on, and the lights don't turn on right away, after a few seconds they will start to flicker then turn on. i sometimes hear a slight sizzling sound from the switch

how the hell do i fix this?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

So there are usually far better electrical experts around here, but it sounds to me like for starters, you have a three-way switch that's hosed, or the connections to said switch are hosed. Don't let the name fool you, a three-way switch is basically just a weird name for a setup where lights are switched on/off in either of two places/switches.

Here's a This Old House video about the subject, though there are tons on YouTube about what sounds like your issue: https://youtu.be/P0tA45TEfqE

There's also a very good electrical thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=456&perpage=40

First step is to probably turn off the circuit breaker, remove the switch plate, and pull out the switch. See if your wiring matches one of the videos and if it does, just find a replacement three-way switch from any store and swap it. They're cheap. Since it sounds like your current switch *may* be arcing, you probably want to re-strip the wire connections that will go to your new switch. And if the wires look odd, take pictures of the switch out and post them.

Edit: swapped "receptacle" for "switch" because I'm stupid
great advice, i didnt electrocute myself, theres no more sounds of arcing and the basement light switch is working again

thanks!!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm trying to figure out which arborvitae I have here so I can order a replacement. is this an emerald green or one of the other arborvates? how can I tell?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cleaning my bathroom sink and the black finish came off???

(not my pic but same thing happened to the sink in question)

recommendations online are to just replace the part with one that matches the finish i want, should be $15, but i dont know what the thing is called to find a replacement. so, whats that thing called?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Season for it is coming...

i dont understand what im looking at. is this some sort of variant of connect 4?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I recently upgraded my tv, but the wall mount that is already anchored into the studs is about two/three inches too low, and is running into the cabinet below it. the holes on the mount that attach to the TV are also just out of range of were I need them - basically the vertical arm doesn't have a hole for the bottom screw of the tv vesa hole where i would need it to get the overall clearance i need to clear the cabinet below it. also it's an 80 lb tv.

My question - is it possible to drill a new hole, with a hand drill and not a press, in the vertical arms of the mount where i need it? i don't know what kind of steel it is but it seems pretty hardy. im open to other suggestions as well, but id rather not move the actual wallplat on the studs since im assuming moving it two or three inches up on an already drilled out set of studs could be compromising to the stud?

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 21, 2024

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Can you take a photo of this? It's really hard to appreciate exactly what you're talking about.
absolutely, updated the original post with pics of the back of the tv with one of the vertical arms and the wall plate attached to the wall

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

slidebite posted:

I think I understand what you're saying, but just move the mount up a bit. You're not compromising the stud in the slightest with a couple of screws so don't let that concern you in the least. You probably have a bigger chance of doing something to the mount if you start putting holes into that where they're not meant to be.

The only potential downside, and its nothing, is you're putting holes in the drywall. But if they're hidden behind the TV :shrug:

sounds good to me, i don't have to fill the unused holes with dowels or anything?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

A big enough TV hides a lot of crimes

speaking of, I'd like to commit another crime behind the tv - i have a gaming computer tower that I'd like to make invisible by installing in the basement and then running 3 cables (1 HDMI, 2 usb) from it, through the wall and to the TV on the first floor. Tips on how i get around the foundation sil to get into the cavity?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It seems my window probably suck rear end.

When my neighbor grills or smokes a cigarette, they're backyard is near my living room windows, I can smell the smoke. Very confusing the first couple times it happened, i thought i was having a stroke

I also can hear every drat car that goes down the street.

How do i start evaluating their noise and insulation properties (kinda feels like I already did this anecdotally) and start looking for windows while avoiding getting ripped off?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

doesn't sound like the right code for this, but does this happen at all times of day, or just when its sunny?

it took me weeks to figure out my door reversing was because the sun was shining on the obstruction detector receiver when i was trying to use it during bright times

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have no clue why someone would nail a window like that, though.
my guess is that the reasons for why it was nailed shut will start to reveal themselves once you get the nail out

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As for mosquitoes, have you tried one of these traps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHr-d2A3t8g

i realized a couple summers ago that mosquitos are weak flyers and my solution used the exact same box fan but blowing across me so it pushed any mosquitoes away. reaffirming to see someone else tap the power of the outdoor box fan lol

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

The hallway is the main entry to the house (the front door is behind the right wall) so if they were open they would block that door. I wonder if any barn doors are made of better sound insulation materials. Pocket door is probably the actually right choice , several other spaces in the house have them, but would be much much more involved to install.

how do you install pocket doors on existing walls?

is the trick that you don't, and instead you build new walls to accommodate the doors?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

buy an old bank, they usually come with one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i would have no shame about hopping the fence to deal with it if that's the case. but, thats completely a personal decision

im curious though if there are channels with the local municipality to resolve issues like this, especially when they start posing potential health concerns like with poison ivy.