Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Budget Dracula posted:

Any housegoons have any good tips/articles for bringing a yard back to life? Our backyard is looking pretty patchy and I want to try to salvage it before it completely turns to mud.

Depending on where you live, it might be too late in the season. If it's not, rent an aerator, buy however many cubic meters of compost you need to cover the yard, rent or borrow a seed spreader. Do your research on what type of sun your yard gets, bc grass seed is as expensive as gently caress lately. Aerate first, then seed, then rake the compost and seeds evenly across the yard, trying to break up the soil plugs as you go. I still like to spread a light dusting of straw over a newly seeded yard, but I know they make better products (no weed seeds) nowadays. If I'm getting a late start, I usually stick my grass seed in the freezer for a week before getting started. Don't forget to give it a good soaking every morning before leaving for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Budget Dracula posted:

Yes I live in VA so all the research I have done says to wait til the fall, I messed around with hand aerator I bought and put a bit of seed down but it sounds like I shouldn't go full hog until the Fall.

If you water twice a day, you could probably skip the aerator and just rent a dethatcher to open the soil up modestly, then do a light seed spread and a quarter inch of compost raked over that. You won't get the best growth, but if you have kids that will be playing on it, or host frequently outdoors, it will improve your lawn for summer, and tide you over until fall when you can do the whole shebang.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Sometimes apartments have a clause in the lease that tenants will cover a certain percentage of hardwood floors with a carpet, so he may not be completely blameless. If that's the case, I would recommend going to ikea for rugs, since they are so inexpensive, and using felt carpet pads underneath for really effective sound dampening. You could also try wearing a pair of crocs as your house slippers, since they are extremely spongy.

If you keep food waste in a sealed can under the sink, your trash won't smell. But if you have your own apartment, a garbage can is definitely in order. Similarly, make sure you're rinsing out recycling before tossing that in its respective bin.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I have no idea if they're comfortable or durable, but the giant beanbag company "Lovesac" makes sectionals that come in mix n match pieces.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i'm looking for a humidifier. i live in a loft in a converted brooklyn warehouse, and winters are so dry and i have a lot of musical instruments that i don't want to ruin.

ceilings are about 12' high, and i think i have about 600 ft^2. heat is provided by gas via an extensive amount of floorboard heaters.

any models i should look for? most ratings i see are for way smaller rooms. i imagine there are some industrial options?

They sell pedestal humidifiers that you can refill with a pitcher, rather than taking the entire reservoir out and lugging it to the sink. You have to be much more on the ball about cleaning those types though. Honestly, even with 12 ft ceilings, 600 sq ft is not an unusually large space, and any average room humidifier will do the trick. It's not until you get into old school lofts with 20 ft ceilings that you have to worry about calculating room volume rather than just going by area.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

"Whole house humidifier" will give you good search results. This one from amazon seems to have good reviews- https://www.amazon.com/URPOWER-Humidifier-Whisper-quiet-Ultrasonic-Adjustable/dp/B01M4O49V9/ but I couldn't vouch for the brand or anything.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

I've always used gas hob with electric oven. I don't like induction hobs very much at all to be honest (although my wife is excited, I do almost all the cooking so I don't feel bad at all about muscling over this one). The location is both gas and electric plumbed. I guess to clarify, you said the proper <aga> ranges and I was highlighting that I don't have space for one unless I start demolishing the kitchen right now.

While I do do the majority of the cooking I'm not sure that I would use a big range; the only time I even remotely get close to capacity is when I'm trying to put together a big roast dinner which is only once in a blue moon.

One thing I'm aware of is that the kitchen is the least well insulated area of the house (if you can remember my previous posts in this thread, it was around the extension to the kitchen having polycarbonate as opposed to a tiled roof), so suddenly I'm really excited about this loving Aga now, despite it being 10x the price of the next best https://www.cookercentre.com/aga-60-cooker/aga-60-gas-hob-pearl-ashes , primarily due to this highly efficient (apparently) heating it constantly puts out.

Do any of your friends or relatives have an AGA you can try cooking a couple of meals on?

I have a serious fetish for AGAs, but if you don't cook at least twice a day, and live south of, let's say, Birmingham, the continuous heating aspect may not be as efficient as reputation says. Particularly in a narrow kitchen where you'll always be standing somewhat close to it while prepping/washing up, but sit and eat relatively far away.

On the other hand, even if you didn't notice a chill in the current extension, that may be more apparent once you are moved in.

Were you looking at Smegs just because of the styling? I've always thought Stoves and Leisure make some cute cookers that might be easier on the budget.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

It's certainly possible to reuse the materials your cabinets are made of to restructure them, but if it is Ikea or similar quality, then the MDF or particle board can be troublesome to rework (particularly if humidity from either appliance wasn't well vented.) You'd also have to buy new doors if you aren't planning to have the utilities out in the open. If I were in your shoes and looking at a reno in a few years anyway I might just opt to store my current dishwasher in the shed, and buy a cheapie 40cm model to use in the meantime.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

Everyone's got a cupboard like this right?

It's not just me being a crazy hoarder right?

I've found that storing containers with their lids on makes the tupperware cabinet infinitely more organized, easier to use and less likely to accumulate orphan tops/bottoms. I've organized a lot of my friends' kitchens and they've all sworn there's not enough space to do that, but once ive got everything sorted and stacked by size it's always a wash.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Option 4, throw them all away and buy a few boxes of ziplocs

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Alternately, I think 28x80 is a relatively common size, and it's not terribly difficult to lengthen an interior door. You may still want to have it done professionally, but it wouldn't be as pricey as a fully custom door.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

It's ventilated but not really conditioned. It's kind of a weird situation that I'd like to fix but I'm not sure what to do. There's a window at ground level (pictured) that is half-dedicated to a dryer vent and half-dedicated to a 8" fan that is the sole ventilation for the basement. There's a sump pump about 5 feet to the right of this window that I'm sure is the biggest culprit as far as radon is concerned. I borrowed a co-worker's digital radon meter a couple years ago to test short-term levels. With the fan off, the levels hover between 20 and 25 pCi/L. With the fan on, it plummeted down to 4-6 pCi/L. Still not great, but I don't spend a lot of time down there so whatever. The real problem is that this fan is open to the elements, so having it on during the winter is massively cutting into my heating efficiency.

I did this latest mail-in test with the fan off as confirmation of the prior results and to get my bearings with the situation again. I live in the northeast US. I'd like to get this rectified before the weather gets cold again.

If that's the only spot you have for ventilation, you could look into a two way erv like this: https://www.lunos.de/en/product/ego-mit-waermerueckgewinnung-e/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

All the units I've seen are large boxes (wall- or ceiling-mounted) or 8" or longer inline units meant for going through walls which is not really appropriate to my situation.

Yeah, obviously if you want to upgrade to something that's not venting all of your heat to the outside you'd have to box in that half of the window to accommodate the ceramic core. I just assumed you were looking for something small enough to to avoid putting another hole in the basement wall.

As far as I know, that brand is the only one out there that has all the mechanical elements contained in a single tube, but there are plenty of cheaper units (generally for bathrooms) that are larger, but would certainly fit just fine between floor joists.