Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I hope this is the right spot: Fence Chat For Dummies, does anyone have a good quickish method of getting the old 4x4 out of the ground? I am almost positive that the old posts (20 years old) are not cemented. A co-worker said using car jacks on the 4x4's can get them to come out but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Battered Cankles posted:

I just pulled some old posts out of 30 inches of clay. I dug until I could wiggle a 1/2 inch gap, then filled the gap with water. One more wiggle and they came right out.

I tried the digging approach on 30 ft of fencing and it took far to long with my soil type and the 3 foot hole they were in. I have another 50 posts i have to pull and would like to get it down to like 30 minutes to pull and auger a new hole, so hand digging will be a last resort. I am going to try the double car jack method this weekend on a test post and see how it works. Will report back with results.