Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D-Pad posted:

This drain/pipe thingy the washer drains into has an unholy sewage type smell coming from it. Can I just pour bleach down it or does it need a plumber to come clean it out or something? How do I fix this?

In addition to the mention of a ptrap above, it's possibly also worth checking if your drain pipe is wide enough there to keep up with the insane drainage flow rate of modern washing machines.

I discovered that problem last year; installing an air admittance valve allowed air to enter behind the tail of the slug of water drained from the washing machine, preventing a greedy siphon effect from sucking the ptrap dry. It looks like older standard practice was to install a 1 1/2" inch drain pipe for laundry, but newer codes call for 2" to address the increased flow rate of new machines. A good plumber will know what's up here.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Very.