Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ROJO posted:

Are there prefab sheds people like? I could just build a shed, but if the price was right, I would be willing to pay someone to have done most of the hard work and just put some footings in myself.

Looking for something that is probably 6x8 or so inside, but flexible on size to an extent.

Where you at? There are a number of shed companies in Pennsylvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

Weber.

I have never bought a Weber. I have had four of them, though, that I have trash-picked; all Genesis models.

Every one of them was in good nick, needing new grills and ‘flavorizer’ (heat distribution) bars and a very good cleaning - which is very messy, and probably why the more privileged folks trashed them. I fixed them up and gave them to friends and family.

All of the parts for them are available. I have spent up to $300 for parts, including new knobs, wheels, and ignitor sets. Since a new 3-burner Genesis is upwards of $1200, and the refreshing lasts 10-15 years, I have had no desire to replace them with something new. Plus, the heat control is phenomenal.

I trash-picked my current grill, which has a very effective side burner, from curbside last summer. It rrplaced the first one I found, back in 1998; that unit soldiers on at a friend's house.

Make sure you get a cover; it practically eliminates wear.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 3, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

VelociBacon posted:

Any recommendations for third party covers? Guess I could make one but yeah. I have a Weber two burner that I also am very pleased with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GFU9VZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it's Amazon, but these King Kong covers are heavy af - the way Weber covers used to be. I get about 4-years out of them, constantly out in the weather & sun.

Motronic posted:

Webers are quality without being fancy, and yes.....you do pay for it. But it's worthwhile. Trash picking them is a pro move.

One of the benefits of having a pickup truck is hucking one in the back the moment you see one. They're very distinctive-looking, and I'm amazed at how many I've found. At one point I had three, in various states of refresh.

My sister's former in-laws had a house on Long Beach Island (NJ) in Beach Haven; my niece noted that, starting a couple weeks before Labor Day and continuing towards Thanksgiving, folks are curbing their grills. They buy a new one before the next summer season, some every year. I am tempted to head down there this year and see what's out. First thing is to check & see when the island towns schedule their heavy trash /appliance pickuop

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'd hit up Stone Harbor or Avalon but would probably get arrested for loitering as a dirty hoi-polloi or some such.

It is shocking, and more than a little sad that folks can't be bothered to spend the $3 & get filthy dirty for an hour or two.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Unless you or your housemates have immuno-compromised pulmonary systems, I think mold remediation is a scam. Doubly so, if the attic area is not part of the living space of the home.

It sounds from the one report as if the soffit vents are covered with insulation. That would absolutely result in elevated humidity in the attic space; clearing the soffits and allowing free exchange with the outside air would resolve the humidity issue and arrest any further mold growth.

I wouldn't be concerned about moss on the shingles, especially in the patterns that you have there, You can have it removed, but it will come back. The roof of my mother's house had far heavier moss growth on the rear slope for forty years.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would go with gas if you are certain that your current rig is actually nearing the end of its service life. If money's the thing, it might be cost-effective to limp along another year and save for gas in '25

Price out the removal of the old oil tank and oil. It ain't cheap, but it least it's above-ground & not in your basement (we had to cut my Mom's abandoned tank apart to get it out, which involved draining the muck and spraying it with water while cutting it apart with an angle grinder).

Gas companies may provide you a tank up front, but find out who owns it, & what they charge to 'rent' it... Probably cheaper in the long run to buy your own.

There shouldn't be any issues with the piping with switching out the boiler beyond adapting pipes to line up connections that may be in slightly different locations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Y'all stop posting about posters please and continue posting about bad ideas.

I'm curious about this. Why do you say this? I'm not super duper intimate with framing, but wouldn't spray foam insulation between the rafters and drywall on the underside of the rafters basically be fine if that was acceptable aesthetically to the OP? Assuming they left the ceilings joists in place to act as rafter ties, which I agree with you is not going to give them the look they imagine. Or are you basing your statement that the roof framing needs to be redone on the fact that what the OP actually wants (nice looking exposed beams) is different from what they say they would be fine with (a bunch of exposed ceiling joists)? You have a much better knowledge of code than I do-is having exposed ceilings joists with no drywall unacceptable for some reason (beyond aesthetics, and a coat of paint and some bondo could certainly help with that), assuming all wiring etc. is adequately protected in conduit, and the drywall/insulation is moved up to the rafters? What other code considerations are there? Just trying to understand the technical/code challenges involved in making OP's weird dream possible.

I picture looking up at a stripped attic, with exposed floor framing (rafter ties) and rafters as not a good look.

Sure, you can finish the rafter/roof framing, but you have to install W-pan and soffit - to - ridge ventilation for moisture control, then insulate over that, then drywall over that.

You're still left with a ton of ugly AF ceiling/(former) floor joists to dress up in some way, and 16" OC isn't going to promote the light, airy look that is a desired characteristic of a cathedral ceiling. You'd probably want to remove most of them while still preserving the structural integrity of the roof. On the other hand, that may be the look the OP is going for.

Doesn't consider what mechanicals may be running through the floor space.

It can be done if one is really determined, though.

mutata posted:

Yeah, agreed.

Here's my strawman for this thread: The goons who freak out about other people doing whatever wacky poo poo they want to their property for their own reasons are just as big of dorks as the people who foam at the mouth every time someone dares to install a shade of grey in their life, and I bet they're the same people, and they all make me laugh.

Edit: Oh, and if you disagree with me, that means you are one of those people. :smug:

The poo poo I've seen in almost 40-years as an insurance adjuster has inured me to almost anything except what is patently unsafe/dangerous.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Patronize your local hardware store whenever possible.

GlyphGryph posted:

Is a knife a good enough tool to cut some squares into the drywall?

I could get a rotary tool but honestly would like to stop buying new tools for a bit.

Steak knife will work. Use your cheapest, most hosed-up one, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not Wolverine posted:

I went to an open house yesterday, it was built in 1999. Does a sour smell in a basement always mean mold?

If you're describing an odor like day-old+ cat piss: it might be cat piss, but it's probably carpet & pad that's been wet for at least a couple days.

When I inspect a water damage loss and I smell that, I'm writing to replace the carpet & pad - although if there's nothing else wrong/stained on the carpet, it can be pulled, the padding replaced after the floor is dried, the carpet re-laid & shampooed with a little mildewcide or bacteriacide in it, and it'll probably be fine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, you sure as poo poo picked up taping like a pro in a hurry. Sweet!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would try it in an inconspicuous area first, and see how it goes.

You will probably smear mortar onto the face of the bricks.

If/when that happens: wait about a half-hour, get a bucket of water and a wire brush, and scrub the brickfaces clean.

I wound up re-pointing some of my older work by hand, wearing rubber gloves - to get the control I needed to bevel the joints. This is the hack way; you should use a grout spoon.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 19, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

HootTheOwl posted:

Every toilet in my house was grouted to the floor and all were leaking but I couldn't tell because, again, they were grouted to the floor.
The only sign was a stain in the ceiling

To be fair: the vast majority of closet-flange leaks (from the wax ring) do not show in the bathroom, around the toilet, but on the ceiling/wall of the room(s) below. So even if they hadn't grouted, there may not have been anything to see.

Some installers caulk around the front. So long as they leave the back open, it should be enough air exchange.

Full Disclosure: I do not put anything around that seam.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Fifty Shades Of Grey curated collection of first editions

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

In 2012, we bought a Samsung French-door with the icemaker in the freezer.

Had two issues (left bottom door bolt backing out affecting the freezer-door's ability to close completely, and a vent fan duct defect). Once I repaired those, it's been fine for the past 12-years.

I think I may be an outlier, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Warbird posted:

I just had something super strange happen and I'm not sure what to make of it. I was just sitting here in my nook piddling around on the PC and we lost power, but only apparently for this power circuit. The rest of the house retained power and this room got it back as well after a few seconds. I wasn't doing anything interesting at the time so I don't think it was a power draw issue; I've never seen something like this before.

This is bad, isn't it?

If you are able, cut the power to your breaker panel, remove the cover, and check the affected breaker. The lug may not be as tight as it should be.

I had intermittent blinking of the light next to my chair for years, and thought it was a bad/loose bug (the crimp connectors on each leg of your power feed). The electric company verified that they were good 'n tight.

A few years later, I had to modernize my panel, and during the swap-out the wires (yes, some of them were doubled up - one of the reasons for the upgrade) literally fell out of that breaker when I was removing it. The ends were pretty blued by arcing, too.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 11, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That was my thinking.

The worst thing is the guano; if there's enough of it, you can smell it in the rooms below. It's not the worst odor - sorta...earthy - I don't mind it, but I'm a weirdo (we used to rent this cabin on Lake Bomaseen in Vermont. It always had this smell. I didn't find out until years later from my parents that the sealed-off attic space was bat-infested.

Just put up a bat house in my yard, in fact. Anything to cut down the mosquito population...

VVV I live in a swamp near the Delaware River. It would take a monthly DDT fogging of essentially my entire town to see peace. Or five of those $1200 CO/CO2 emitters like the PGA & Disney uses VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 14, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Looks good. I’d top it with two layers of 3/4” plywood.

You’ll get a number of great suggestions here for the walls. I used the heaviest-grade pegboard.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The section below the drip edge & in to the gutter is to prevent splash-back getting behind the gutter & running down the exterior wall.

Not sure why it's set-up that way; typically, there’s a wood fascia there, with aluminum wrap around it, and the gutter is installed tight against it (the fascia usually runs behind the gutter, not into it) under the drip edge.

But it seems to be working so I wouldn’t worry about correcting it until you have to replace the gutters.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

incogneato posted:

I'd like to hire someone to make the window in our toddler's room larger. The house was built in the 70s and the windows in the bedroom are currently 4' off the floor. Our main goal is lowering the bottom of that significantly (i.e. make the window taller), both to let in more light and to allow her to see out into our forested backyard. Widening the window is not really important to us, plus I'm guessing that it'd increase the cost by quite a bit. The current window is roughly 3' x 4.5'.

I'm out of my depth hiring someone for something like this. Frankly, in our brief time being homeowners, we've just hired people for yard work and minor plumbing, not putting holes in walls. Are we just looking for window companies, or does the fact that we'll need to knock out part of a wall mean someone else needs to be involved? I'm not even sure a rough ballpark of how much we should expect this to cost, so it may be more money than we really want to stomach.

From a structural standpoint: nothing could be easier. The opening is reinforced at the top, so there is no load on the opening. You could make it a doorway, so long as you don’t want to widen it.

Everything else is aesthetic; the most expensive part is cutting back the exterior finish to accommodate the opening, and installing the proper transition between the opening & the exterior weather covering.

Inside, you’ll need new trim at the left & right; if you can get them removed without damaging them, you csn re-use the sill & stool pieces.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wondering why they stopped at 150. We have wells here in southern New Jersey over 400'.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

A cut sheet is the document from the insert or gas log which is incopoprated-by-reference into code as "install per manufacturer's instructions". Don't assume it was built to code, and even if it was you still need to know what code says because you are asking about modifying it.

Lol this reminds me of when the code guys came around to do a surprise ‘final inspection’ of my garage -two years later - how they suddenly wanted a sheet for my woodstove. It was an Atlanta Stove Works unit from around 1969, it was given to me; I found that the company had gone out of business. I couldn’t find poo poo on it for documentation.

I found a manual online for a similar model. I photoshopped in images of my stove & the installation stand-off measurements & sent it.

The township needed it to cover their asses in case I set the place on fire. I was unconcerned because the back wall behind it was (from studs out):
5/8 fire-rated plywood
Two layers of 5/8” drywall
One layer of 5/8” wonder board
3/8” terra-cotta 6” tile

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 26, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's a hell of a lot easier to replace an existing door slab that operates properly,

but

it still requires extreme attention to detail (to site the hinges & the latching assembly) and a fair bit of skill (get a good, sharp set of wood chisels; needed for the hinge recesses as well as the latch bolt plate).

It is not a forgiving operation. Get it wrong, you're probably buying another slab.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fit on old wooden doors like that can be a real pain in the rear end, because you have to watch like a hawk if you plane or trim at the height of summer when it's sticking, because a bit too much, and yowza, you have a humungous gap come New Years.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those walls are getting ripped apart if you go with pocket doors.

They need a pocket, which means the studs all have to come out and be turned 90-degrees, and there have to be two rows of them to make it.

So the wall will be nearly twice as thick as it is now.

Moving the wiring will be the least of your concerns.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Uh

Yeah. You have to make a pocket.

Without a wood stretcher, it gets complicated fast.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For the record, using caustic chemicals to clear your drains is pretty rough on the pipes. It's not a "never use them" kind of thing, but if you find yourself using them at all regularly, you may find yourself on the hook for an expensive sewer repair sooner rather than later. A $5 disposable drain snake will usually do the job better, and while it smells terrible, the smell is merely offensive instead of actively harmful.

Yo, just showered after reading

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SnoPuppy posted:

Roofing/"scope creep" question....
Specifically, should I consider replacing the fascia (or anything else near the roof) at the same time?

Follow up question would be what type of fascia should I be looking at to pair with a metal roof, in terms of longevity?
Aluminum over wood seems like it would be closest to the current design, but I've also seen stuff like Boral or a fiber cement (Hardie) on a sub-fascia. retrofitting sub-fascia probably means trimming back the rafters though, so I imagine it's a bit more costly.

Unless you / SO have a strong aversion to the aesthetic, I would wrap the existing soffit in aluminum.

Mine was wrapped probably around 1985, and possibly earlier than that. Not a day's trouble.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Invalid Validation posted:

RV pumps run off 12v batteries for a long time. You’d probably be fine with something like that hooked up to a solar panel.

Lifting groundwater a minimum of six feet, a minimum of five gallons at a time, fast and frequently enough to stay ahead of the groundwater, requires an order of magnitude more power than an RV clean-or gray water pump servicing the small lines and volumes of an RV.

A healthy battery backup gives you a day to come up with another solution until the power is restored.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm fixing up the ceiling in my bathroom and I'm also planning on replacing the lovely, weaksauce ventilation fan that's in there with a much more powerful unit...

Make sure you have a 4" or larger duct, and that it is unobstructed. Three inches will thwart a more powerful fan

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I used untreated cedar for corner trim on my garage. I installed it 20-years ago, and wherever it's sun-exposed, it's silver-grey.

I could probably make it reddish-brown again with the pressure washer, but it's likely to raise the grain.

The only issues I've had is the (cedar) deck screws backing out ere & there, and fuckin' tree rodents chewing on the left-rear outside corner for some ungodly reason.

2004:

2019:

Yes, the 'tearing' is coming off of screws made for cedar. They don't last forever.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is waaaaay more inviting.

Good design and execution by you & yours!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vim Fuego posted:

One joist bay over to the left and like 1.5 inches into the double uh 2x12? beam that's behind it in that shot. Positioning it left to right is easy. Longer pipe, maybe change the elbow angle a bit. Getting it running inside the wall seems hard. Like I said coming through the wall from below involves a hole in the beam. Coming up straight through the floor then turning and entering the wall is possible because there's about 5 inches of clearance under the oven.

[

I have a really dumb question:

Isn't there a recess in the back of the stove - usually the bottom half - that's deep enough to let you slide the stove over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

chutwig posted:

Fishing for some Motronic southeastern PA wisdom here.

My sister recently bought a row house in northeast Philly, Kensington or something. There are consistent water issues in the basement, some of which are sewer related and are already being dealt with. Some of them are definitely not sewer related, though. Today she got an alert from the basement moisture sensor and saw water coming in from what looks like an old cleanout. Her neighbor on that side was using a hose outside, and as soon as the water supply was shut off in the neighbor’s basement, the water stopped coming into my sister’s house. They also let my sister into their house to demonstrate that they had turned the water off and she saw buckets and such on their basement floor roughly opposite where the leak is on her side, so it seems probable that the neighbors already knew about this problem.

Given that this problem seems to be originating on their side but is flooding water into a neighboring house’s basement, what options would my sister have to get this fixed? Assuming they’re not willing to foot the bill to have the problem fixed, does my sister have any recourse to compel action?

I would first get a plumber out to use dye packs to locate the source. What she may have is an old & abandoned floor drain that is shunting in groundwater. It's been a fairly wet spring, so the ground is pretty saturated as it is. Its a couple of feet below grade, so the grass, etc. on the surface may be dry & people are watering & adding to the groundwater issue.

Once it's located, she may have to contact the Philadelphia Water Department to sort out what pipes are running where, if the plumber can't or there's some old funktified poo poo no one knows about.