Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
So I bought a second house. Not to have two houses you understand, but because the old one hasn't sold yet. So, being stressed out and poor, it is the perfect time to begin restoring the new house. The house is more than 120 years old, so there is enough to do. Anyways, in one end of the house we have this fantastic view over the fields down to the water, trouble was that the old window was falling apart and that the window sill was built wrong, so that it collected water destroying the mortar of the brick wall beneath.

Out with the old.

In with the new.

Inserting slate cut to size with an angle grinder as the new external window sill.

All done. If I squint real hard and keep my distance, it looks pretty okay for the first time doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

That's ba I love old houses (101 years here) and hope you post more stuff.

Yeah, old houses have personality at the very least! I should say the the pictures depict a process that spans over 3 weeks, working on it in the weekends. Just to stress I'm no window installing superhuman. Currently I'm waiting for some panels and boards to finish up the inside of the window.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Beginning to do the inside of the before depicted new window. It's actually a used window, made from plastic and aluminium, I got both window pairs for around 150 of your American pesos each, which was a good deal as they are expensive as poo poo from new. If I count professional labor hours I would guess I've saved at least around 1000 bucks so far.

Stuffing mineral wool around the windows:

As this building is old af, there is no such thing as moisture barrier around the window. I don't really know how important it is for the new window, it being in non organic materials and all, but I'm still going to put the boards I'm going to install atop a layer of plastic sheeting to seal it off. Anyone see a problem with that or have a better suggestion?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

No pros around here wants to touch the stuff, what's your reasoning?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

I'm in Scandinavia. The workers I talked to cited its tendency to 1) damage structure with expansion and 2) to absorb and keep moisture and 3) make a big mess where ever it is used - it the easy amateurish solution according to them. I can't talk to what is better, or if they're right, but its not a fit for the scenario I am in, so I'm leaving in the wool.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Sure, that's fine, I wasn't going to tear out the insulation to replace it with something fairly similar in any event. Edit: removed all the insulation discussion, I'm certain that for some applications some types of foam are superior.

My original question was about internal moisture barrier, and I'm going to install that as close to the warmth of the room as I can without it being visible. It's not going to be optimal in any sense, since the rest of the construction in this part of the house just wasn't built with that in mind. But I'm going to make sure that the cold air from the attic above the room can't access it, for instance. The external window installation is completely weather sealed of course (I would have preferred breathable mortar or foam strips... I don't know the english term - edit: this stuff: http://www.dafa-as.com/products/construction/products-(construction)/illmod-600-sealing-tape but that wasn't feasible with the spacing and materials I was dealing with, so it was sealed with flexible construction silicone), I'm just sperging about the air that moves around between the rooms and the exterior/attic...

Rnr fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 16, 2016

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

That is indeed hardcore spergin' Hubis, awesome stuff!

I myself am still working on the inside of the window, installing boards and wood molding. But before having to travel on business today I did a side project. The old house came with a custom built wood stove, which I think is all kinds of awesome, however it of course comes with its own set of installation issues. I've already fixed the chimney on the roof which was leaking due to decaying mortar, however in our living room the smoke pipe from the stove was inserted directly into the brick of the chimney, and while it has run like that the last 20 years and not killed the inhabitants or set fire to the chimney, it's not the right way to do it.

So I pulled out the smoke pipe from the chimney, painted it with some heatproof matte black to freshen it up, and installed a metal sleeve into the chimney after cutting into the brick with a carbide blade on the multitool. Process and result, including work dogge:

Old homemade pipe, surface rust:

Not good:

Mixing:

Metal sleeve installed:

Work dogge:

Next day, mortar has cured, finish install. Looks good, I do love that big block of metal:

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

So, the wife and I had 1 day at out old house which is still for sale (oh god, get the gently caress sold already), and decided to make one of the rooms more attractive by replacing the old wornout poo poo brown flooring with new wood laminate that we had stored in the attic of that house for years.
Well, nothing ever goes according to plan (if you're an idiot, like me) and it turned out the new floor was too high to lay directly on top of the old one, it would protrude over the door step for instance. So my wife triumphantly held of a chunk of the old floor, "hey look it comes off easy, no problem we'll just take this off!", after which she left the room to fix some stuff in the garden. Which was wise because it turned out the corner she pulled the piece off just had bad glue and most of the rest of the floor was just a bitch to get off.

Peeling off layers of old floor:

Laying new pretty flooring:

We did complete it in the day allotted, about 13 hours non stop work, and a couple actually showed considerable interest in the house at an open house just days after and is getting approved by the bank (please please), but god drat... My old man's back. On the other hand, once again, it is apparent that kneepads in your work pants are not optional, super happy I had them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Renovated a 30+ year old trailer we got handed down from family as a bare, mostly disassembled, metal frame. When taking time/materials into account I could probably have bought half a new trailer from what I've spent. But it was a pretty fun process, no regrets.