Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Yay house sperg chat!

I also am a homeowner and like doing things to my house. I just finished fixing up my master bathroom which was absolutely horrible. I attempted to turn it into something not as horrible...

Before (I pulled out the ugly heavy solid cultured stone green corner tub, then I re-did the glass bricks so they're actually waterproof and not leaking tons of water into my exterior wall and insulation when rain blows against that side of the house)

after... I didn't do the glass or the cabinet, I had lots of help with the shower manifold, but all of the framing and drywall tile and all that other crap are me, so I can always look at my visible mistakes and remember why I can never do any of that for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

actionjackson posted:

I removed some stuff on my wall that had been there since I bought the place, so there are several nail holes, but also several spots where an anchor was put it. I got the little spackle/sandpaper/putty knife kit, and followed the instructions the best I could. However now it looks even worse. I think my main mistake was putting on way too much spackle (not just filling the hole, but also the small area around it). My plan is to sand it down again first. The recommendation on youtube was to then paint, but after painting it over quickly with the brush, to also stipple the paint with the brush to make it more match the surrounding paint. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKZ9yo_NlTM at 2:40 or so

The paint was originally rolled on of course, but it's a small area so I figured I could just use a brush.. then stipple?

So that's not bad for a first try. What you'll want to do is sand all that stuff til it's flat on the wall (you can run your hand on it and all you feel are the holes, not the spackle), then fill the holes out, and feather the mud out a few inches on each side of the actual place you're trying to flatten out. That video you linked is a little smoother than you are on the wall.

Are you using sandpaper like this? It might help.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pro-Grade-Precision-2-1-2-in-x-4-1-2-in-x-1-in-120-Grit-Fine-Block-Sanding-Sponge-24001PGP-F-B/205415977

For a job that size even doing like 5 coats if you have to (you won't, just take your time) , you should only need the 1 block.

Also, it looks like your spackle seems like it might be very thick, or maybe not the right stuff for what you're trying to do. Can I recommend that if you're going to do this, just get yourself some premixed drywall taping mud?

This stuff should work a lot better than whatever you're using, because vinyl based spackle is extremely hard to sand:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/USG-Sheetrock-Brand-3-5-Qt-All-Purpose-Pre-Mixed-Joint-Compound-385140/202329714

What size of mud knife did you get? hopefully you're not trying to do this with like a 1" blade, because you will hate yourself. If you can get a deal on one get like a 6" one. It'll fit in the little mini buckets and it won't be too hard to patch small stuff with it. I have been constantly renovating rooms for years and I use an 8"+ one because it lets me feather edges out a lot better and faster.

What people fail to tell you is that mudding (if you're a professional) takes like 2-3 coats, and if you're a mortal like the rest of us, it'll take 3-4+ to make it look really nice.

Anyway with the joint compound, once you are happy with the results, prime it (with a roller) and paint it (with a roller) and you have yourself a brand new wall. That doesn't look like a stippled wall, is it actually stippled? If so, you can definitely hide mistakes, but I'd definitely give it another go with the mud and sand for another couple of coats before you immortalize it with stipple. Once you paint, it'll be a lot harder to fix.

Practice makes perfect, and all that.

edit:

I see what's up with the walls now. Knockdown texture is a pain, but there's a pro painter guy who matches it with a sea sponge and some joint compound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oelBlZbOR4

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 21, 2020

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Definitely behind, my apologies. One thing I've never had to deal with is that wall texture, so forget everything I said about that, sorry.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Comedy option: full skim coat and retexture the whole thing! (sorry about your wall) :(