Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

I like to hold the door open for people but block them from entering and then say "Only if you know the password!" And then we both generally have a polite chuckle and then I stand in the doorway smiling at them until they tell me the password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
I cut off hands with the doors

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer

drunk dog posted:

this is far too long in both scenarios and a bad opinion

gently caress you my mom is proud of me. :colbert:

Also this is pretty standard where I live.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

How do you handle it when there are two sets of doors? You hold the door open for the first set, then they stop/get a phone call/pause for whatever reason and now they are in between the outter door and inner door. If you hold it open you look like a tool as they obviously don't want to enter/exit, but if you don't, you're essentially slamming the door in their face since there is only like 5 feet of area between the doors.

This is a serious conundrum and I don't know how to approach it.

when i find myself in this situation i douse the offending patron with lighter fluid and set them ablaze before stop drop and rolling my sweet rear end to the bar and exclaiming "ill have what hes having"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just enter through the window and avoid this scenario entirely

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

symbolic posted:

I'm actually that guy from the X Files who crawls into buildings through the air vents and then murders people.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

when i find myself in this situation i douse the offending patron with lighter fluid and set them ablaze before stop drop and rolling my sweet rear end to the bar and exclaiming "ill have what hes having"

Sounds like a lot of work, man.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Deal with it the same as any perturbance in the natural order. Eyes front, keep walking. You pass beggars all the time and a lot of them are old and feebleminded. Walking out of a CVS is morally much easier. Wait, they have automatic doors. Whatever.

Just don't be that poo poo with a free hand who darts in behind someone to avoid holding the door for someone right behind them.

symbolic posted:

Soon every delinquent shoplifter gang will use this method.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think when a cop holds a door open and either doesn't leave enough room to get by them or creates a barrier for a person with a disability it falls under false imprisonment and hate crime laws. Most people know how to hold a door without molesting somebody or creating an awkward narrow corridor. Claiming that you're too stupid to use a door is like claiming you're in a coma but somehow still walking around and yelling poo poo at people.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You could just do the opposite. Open the door just barely enough for yourself to squeak through and then keep going. That way there is no real opportunity for the door to be held open since you're already on you're way.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014

Jastiger posted:

You could just do the opposite. Open the door just barely enough for yourself to squeak through and then keep going. That way there is no real opportunity for the door to be held open since you're already on you're way.

Unless the person is exiting/entering while I am doing the opposite, this is what I do.

If a door can close in the time it would take them to reach it, unless they have a baby or are old/hurt, I just kick the door open behind me and move on.

This is also what most people do in my city afaik.

Sometimes a person will hold a door open for someone entering while they are, but [unless they know the person or there is some circumstance stopping the person from opening the door themselves], its considered awkward and unnecessary.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I am very very fat so when I hold the door open I usually end up blocking it and they have to squeeze by my belly and nine times out of ten I'm not wearing a shirt and they get very greasy. I think I should be exempt from having to hold the door open at all.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bubblebee posted:

Unless the person is exiting/entering while I am doing the opposite, this is what I do.

If a door can close in the time it would take them to reach it, unless they have a baby or are old/hurt, I just kick the door open behind me and move on.

This is also what most people do in my city afaik.

Sometimes a person will hold a door open for someone entering while they are, but [unless they know the person or there is some circumstance stopping the person from opening the door themselves], its considered awkward and unnecessary.

Jeez what kind of libertarian metropolis do you live in?!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If anything doors should be harder to open and we should be forbidden from offering aid to others so we can weed out the weak.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014

quote:

Jeez what kind of libertarian metropolis do you live in?!

Toronto!

But now I'm worrying that I've made all this up and everyone thinks I'm a huuuge rear end in a top hat.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holding doors open is practiaclly our national sport!!! it's that bad folks!!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

paul_soccer10 posted:

holding doors open is practiaclly our national sport!!! it's that bad folks!!
hi nooner

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

symbolic posted:

hi nooner

hey

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
I've settled on this:

DistanceThresholdMeters = 1 + 3*NormalizedAttractiveness^2

where 0 < NormalizedAttractiveness < 1 is how attractive I find the person in question, 0 meaning "completely repulsive" and 1 meaning "will you marry me".

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I like to play "There's a killer after me". When I walk through a door I look behind me to see if anyone is coming, if so I give a surprised little yelp, hop a bit in the air, slam the door shut and run as fast as I can waving my hands in the air. I don't scream because it might make me look silly.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
if theyre not a 7 or hotter i usually let the door slam in their face

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I try never to hold doors open for men because I'm not a queermo.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Applewhite posted:

I try never to hold doors open for men because I'm not a queermo.

Woah :eyepop:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

If I end up accidentally holding a door open for a man, I make it clear to him that I don't like him "that way" and that I'm not interested in dating men.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I would prefer a law that let's you simply stab someone either:

a. going through the wrong side of a double door, like seriously every waking moment of transportation you should be getting used to the idea of moving forward on the right (or left if you live in such a place), why is it so god drat complicated when it comes to doors
b. tries to enter through a single door when people are presently exiting

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

If I end up accidentally holding a door open for a man, I make it clear to him that I don't like him "that way" and that I'm not interested in dating men.

On the flipside to this I expect women to give me their number if I hold the door open for them because I'm a gentleman and they owe me.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Applewhite posted:

On the flipside to this I expect women to give me their number if I hold the door open for them because I'm a gentleman and they owe me.

This isn't standard procedure? Sorry, sometimes it's hard to tell who is giving me their number because I am hot and who is giving me their number because it's policy.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Sometimes when you hold the door for a woman (it's always a woman, usually the soccer mom type), she'll just breeze into the store or wherever, and not say thanks at all. I always want to scream "You're welcome bitch" but I'm way too timid.

Very little makes me angry, but when someone does this to me, I am mad about it for days.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Those ungrateful bitches are lucky you're such a gentleman.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have never seen my boss (who I rarely see since he lives in a different state) hold a door for someone. He's very nice and polite and everything, but he just walks in and lets the door go, even when someone is directly behind him and talking to him (I am sometimes this person). It's like he somehow missed out on this one specific social thing that everyone does. Very weird.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014
A lot of older dudes won't pass through a door if I hold it open for them.

Dude, this is awkward enough without you explaining that you're trying to save my weak woman arms

I once had to awkwardly shuffle around and switch spots.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I don't ever hold it for fatties on rascals. "Sorry friend, but skipping these minor, everyday physical exhertions is what got you in this state in the first place."

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

OctoberBlues posted:

I have never seen my boss (who I rarely see since he lives in a different state) hold a door for someone. He's very nice and polite and everything, but he just walks in and lets the door go, even when someone is directly behind him and talking to him (I am sometimes this person). It's like he somehow missed out on this one specific social thing that everyone does. Very weird.

This is why he's the boss and you aren't.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

This is why he's the boss and you aren't.

If that's what it takes to be the boss I'll pass. :smug:

:smith:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I usually deal with this kind of situation by doing whatever I want and just not giving a poo poo. Maybe try that.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I like to wipe my rear end with my hand and grab a couple dingle berries and then smack the top part of the door frame like I'm LeBron James dunking

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i prefer to hold the door just until the person behind me's genitals peek past the door jamb, and then i slam it shut, circumcising them instantly

i'm known as the Moyl of the Threshold and goyim hate me

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
How about you cut off your p lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Drad_Bert posted:

How about you cut off your p lol

i've wanted to circumcise myself for some time, of course, but when my foreskin's in position i'm still too far away to reach the door handle

• Locked thread