Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I believe Spork is referring to how phone numbers were six digits at this point in history, but that's not the result of a mnemonic device so much as it was the evolution of the four-digit phone number.

It used to be that you had to ask an operator to connect you to a specific exchange and then you could dial the four-digit code of a specific number, and because of this the exchanges used names instead of numbers. However, better phone technology led to direct exchange dialing, and so the exchanges were abbreviated to two letters and the letters were added to the phone dial. Eventually, big cities had to use three letters for their exchanges, and once long-distance lines and area codes standardized the phone network the seven digit number became universal. This history is why phone numbers are always formatted as 123-4567.

Not exactly universal, in Sweden for example it is (+46) 031-191044 That is country code, area and number. And it is different in other ways in other countries too. Also, you can now call whoever has the phone number that used to belong to my parents flower shop when I was growing up. Have fun with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

One thing I always wondered was why the hit and run suspect was driving so loving close to the curb. That lane has got to be 20-25 feet wide, why are you driving like that?

The driver does admit that it wasn't his first time getting in trouble for driving recklessly.
To me, the indication seems to be that they didn't plan that bit but just rolled with it when it happened.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 27, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Xander77 posted:

I'm not a theater person, but I'm fairly sure that was a really terrible explanation of Method acting. (Performances always included gestures, for instance)

As a theatre person, it wasn't the best explanation but it was quite a good one. I am more familiar with the Stanislavski formula but as far as I could tell, it was a pretty good explanation of it in layman terms.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

MadDogMike posted:

I get the disturbing impression when talking to Mrs. Bishop that her bit about "happens to a lot of girls" (regarding Ballard "sacrificing" her niece) and how she mentioned Ballard and her met on the same movie set along with Mr. Bishop, that Ballard probably "sacrificed" Mrs. Bishop around that time also. Mrs. Bishop is about 15 years or so younger than Ballard, so the timing would definitely work, and if she married the guy because she was "ruined" it would sure explain why she's not all that torn up about him maybe getting killed off. Also would fit with Ballard being a cold-blooded bitch evil enough to set her own niece up just for getting a blackmail film (and she HAD to have arranged that in advance with Hopgood) if she pulled the same sort of scheme earlier.

She explicitly says that she was 16 when she met him. I personally don't think she was raped by Ballard, sounded more like he seduced her.
Her line about him being 'nothing compared to the monsters at the big studios' sounds like experience though, as if she'd had experienced it herself. Imagine having a horrid experience, (I shudder when I think of what would be worse than being drugged and raped,) being disillusioned about men in the industry and along comes Bishop, taking her out on dates and treating her kindly, giving her roles and such...

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
A teenager referring to her parents as "mummy and daddy" as opposed to "Mum and dad" didn't strike me as odd. I don't know about most languages but in Swedish it is "mamma and pappa", no changes when you get older. It is quite interesting.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
A teenager referring to her parents as "mummy and daddy" as opposed to "Mum and dad" didn't strike me as odd. I don't know about most languages but in Swedish it is "mamma and pappa", no changes when you get older. It is quite interesting.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Escalation is common in pretty much all cases of serial killers and in several cases overconfidence and getting sloppy/mocking the police when not getting caught is a factor, something that usually leads to them getting caught. In this case however, I have to say the overconfidence seems quite justified since only one policeman is even acknowledging it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Stare-Out posted:

Serial killers often "mature", which means that their first murders are very downplayed versions of their actual fantasies and they work towards their ultimate fantasy with every victim, little by little. LA Noire presents this pretty clearly, especially with the last episode of this LP where the killer gets even more brazen and obvious compared to the previous cases. At the same time they often try to recreate the conditions of their first murder. James Ellroy smartly (and correctly I think) stated that the basis of all serial murders is sexual desire and the attempt to recreate the same rush the killer felt with their first murder which is why almost always it's a case of the perpetrator being of the opposite sex; usually a male perp with female victims.

Actually power isthe most common reason. Sex is part of it a lot of the time but even rape can just be an expression of the perpetrators power of their victim. The most common victims are the powerless like prostitutes, children runaways and such.
And escalation usually comes from desensitisation, as the killer goes on he or she simply don't get the same rush any more and has to do more and more extreme things to achieve it. Of course working up to an ultimate fantasy is also a thing but most serial killers doesn't start out with a clear idea of what they want so it is more exploring what they like than an ultimate fantasy.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Not until the title screen in the video did I realise that it wasn't called "the stupid secretary murder". Seemed a bit mean.

Also, do people not get their wedding rings inscribed in the US at that time? Never seen one that didn't have at least the wedding date if not names.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I got used to it but can't say I liked it.
By the way, might be on purpose because it wasn't a slasher film but Gein was also the inspiration for Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

Also, he is suspected of also having killed his brother which would make him an "official" serial killer although still just barely. (At least three victims with time passing in between the crimes.)

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 27, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Spookyelectric posted:

It was quite a surprise to see John Noble in this game!

I actually recognised the face instead of his voice for some reason. Didn't really sound like I am used to hearing him in this role I suppose.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Green lumber turns grey eventually and, for most kinds of lumber is more brittle when aging. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Green_wood_visual_comparison.jpg/220px-Green_wood_visual_comparison.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The shoe dip didn't scare me as much as enrage and disgust me when I was little. The steamroller just confused me because I didn't understand what it meant.
I actually remember that I didn't pay a lot of attention to the film after the shoe because I felt it was so unfair that I was distracted from the plot.

• Locked thread