Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

I wasn't doing commentary for this, simply because I wasn't finding anything to comment about, but since you noticed would you like commentary on future missions?
Yes please. It would help if the game was less boring, but bare C&C4 is pretty unwatchable even if I don't have to play it :v:

CommissarMega posted:

Man, that music is just so drat generic. Couldn't EA have shelled out a few extra bucks to (re?)hire Frank Klepacki?
Whoa whoa whoa, that wasn't just SugarAddict putting generic stuff instead of game music to avoid copyright strikes? :wtc:

This LP's getting better and better :magical:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I love the way the command center just kinda slides along the ground when you walk it in any direction other than straight forward.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Yes please. It would help if the game was less boring, but bare C&C4 is pretty unwatchable even if I don't have to play it :v:

Whoa whoa whoa, that wasn't just SugarAddict putting generic stuff instead of game music to avoid copyright strikes? :wtc:

This LP's getting better and better :magical:

Ok, I will put commentary in, and yes, all the music you hear is actually ingame music.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Mission 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAPRQm9hHI8

Edit: Subtitle commentary is included.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Surprise Multiplayer 1 "Getting pub stomped":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqQv1UtfO7Y

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I always remember hearing rumours that C&C 4 wasn't ever intended to be the actual C&C 4, but that they'd made it as some free-to-play thing for the Asian market, and then for whatever reason they decided to make it C&C 4 rather than producing an actual game. I don't think I ever found any backup on that theory, though.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

PurpleXVI posted:

I always remember hearing rumours that C&C 4 wasn't ever intended to be the actual C&C 4, but that they'd made it as some free-to-play thing for the Asian market, and then for whatever reason they decided to make it C&C 4 rather than producing an actual game. I don't think I ever found any backup on that theory, though.
I remember reading about that in one of the old C&C threads, probably by Drunkill or Chronojam, maybe they'll show up again to fill us in on all the horrors.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Mission 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiWdh1SMv8I

Subtitles are included.
The first of many crappy missions.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

The first of many crappy missions.

This line should of been on the first mission video.

edit: :psyduck: They show off what is so far the most interesting bit of the game, salvaging a giant nod mech, and they don't even let you use it? You had to scuttle your support MCV to request another?

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 31, 2016

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Quite apart from how much of this game just seems to be a poorly-thought-out mish-mash (I still can't figure out what the differences are between the crawlers, except that one of them can fly), all I can think of is how crappy and B-movie that giant robot looks.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

Quite apart from how much of this game just seems to be a poorly-thought-out mish-mash (I still can't figure out what the differences are between the crawlers, except that one of them can fly), all I can think of is how crappy and B-movie that giant robot looks.

Support makes mainly flying stuff and has support powers with global range.
Defense makes mainly infantry and has buildings and can get an MCV shield.
Offence makes mainly vehicles.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

SupSuper posted:

I remember reading about that in one of the old C&C threads, probably by Drunkill or Chronojam, maybe they'll show up again to fill us in on all the horrors.
other C&C people can fill in more details, but definite reason is this
Tiberium was canceled and this threw a wrench in the agenda to have Command and Conquer be a "yearly release" property like EA's (at the time) madden or the medal of honor series as such the RTS team at EALA was scrambled to make their new project into a wide-release product.

the story of why tiberium the (C&C FPS) was canceled is a story of a series of junior designerd too-quickly promoted, two managers for every five people, a ruby red ferrari, and lots of cocaine.

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 31, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

skullhead tethyis posted:

other C&C people can fill in more details, but definite reason is this
Tiberium was canceled

the story of why tiberium the (C&C FPS) was canceled is a story of a series of junior designerd too-quickly promoted, two managers for every five people, a ruby red ferrari, and lots of cocaine.

quote:

She added: "A lower quality game is not in the best interest of the consumers and would not succeed in this market."

:lol: yeep, thats EA alright.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jzq1Xt0bRU

I hate this poo poo stain labeled a game anyways. No commentary.
winning attempt at 25:50.

Why couldn't they just give me control of the convoy, or I dunno, NOT GO THOUGH THE loving WARZONE? There is a perfectly safe path around the top side of the map, and you gently caress-ing IDIOTS decide "NO FUK U TAK ROUT THOU WARR ZON BECAUSE I SAD SO!", I even try to force them to go the other way but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, they don't even bother to give a reason why they have to go though that route.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate this game already.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This is a worthy LP and SugarAddict seems to be genuinely giving the game a fair shake, but I can't watch this poo poo. It's the finale of a beloved franchise that grew up with me, being ground up and snorted into EA's nostrils.

Command & Conquer deserved a proper sendoff. Hell, it deserved a spectacular big-budget finale with hookers on mammoth tanks. Instead we got this horseshit. A stalking-horse for paid subscription RTS units.

It's not even "it would have worked without the persistent unlocks", it's just poo poo.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

The finale of a beloved franchise that grew up with me, being ground up and snorted into EA's nostrils.

Possibly new thread title, I think I have to ask a mod to change it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So apparently the only way to control the convoy is to keep your crawler away. That's amazing, removing the game's most defining feature from gameplay starting with the very first mission.

E: That convoy truck just completely ignoring the cliff and driving off it was pretty good and also an indicator that the pathfinding in this game is excellent and beyond compare.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 2, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Blech, I forgot about this loving awfulness known as Tiberian Twilight. After watching a couple of missions I had to go and play some C&C95 to remind myself of how a C&C game is supposed to work. You know, with base building/resource gathering etc and ingame tech trees that work on a mission-by-mission basis and aren't entirely dependent on some horrible bullshit Korean MMO-style xp grind.

And the voices. I don't know why they bothered trying to give each unit type a 'personality', because it just doesn't work. At all. You only and invariably end up with hundreds of the fuckers and they all somehow manage to end up sounding more generic than the "Awaiting orders/Affirmative!" voice clips of the original games with all this "JUSTICE!" and "POUR IT ON!" fuckery.

Edit:
So I watched the first one again and my eyes weren't lying to me after all. Obelisks of Light were doing practically NOTHING to starter units. What the actual gently caress.

Also, this soundtrack loving blows. Just another thing that C&C4 completely missed the boat on regarding what makes C&C.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 2, 2016

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Blech, I forgot about this loving awfulness known as Tiberian Twilight. After watching a couple of missions I had to go and play some C&C95 to remind myself of how a C&C game is supposed to work. You know, with base building/resource gathering etc and ingame tech trees that work on a mission-by-mission basis and aren't entirely dependent on some horrible bullshit Korean MMO-style xp grind.

quote:

C&C4 completely missed the boat on regarding what makes C&C.

This was the exact sentiment that raged on the C&C boards shortly after Twilight came out. Long term fans of the franchise hated pretty much everything about it.

The counterargument, mostly forwarded by EA shills, was that the "formula" had gotten a bit stale and we should instead applaud EA for at least trying something new.

The counter to that, of course, is that when you decide to be "audacious" and "try something new" you had better be prepared to accept that what you tried turned out not to work.

So yeah. If you want to be charitable to this game (which I did until I saw the ending) you could say "EA clearly tried to shake up the formula and bring something new. Unfortunately, it didn't work out."

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

What is funny is that the player having a single (or just a few) mobile production centers has been tried before, it was called Homeworld. This game if it was done right would basically be Homeworld: Deserts of Karahk. (Where you can make GDI and NOD jokes too.)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 2:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQMBO4cH6no
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8wyCCa81KE

No commentary, because what is there to do commentary about? (nothing), because this is a generic crappy map of "slog your way across the map and try not to die".

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I've finished almost every game I've ever bought, some because I was just really bored, some because they pissed me off so much that I was doing it out of spite. This game was one of the few who were so bad I just couldn't bring myself to play it anymore.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
I'm ok with them deviating from the the original C&C formula. I even liked C&C generals. The problem with this game is that the art and animation is just so poo poo. Why are the foot soldiers so huge? They are like some sort of anime chibi warriors or something. Like everything is out of scale and all the units sort of glide when they walk. Couldn't they have at least put a gram of that cocaine money to hiring some not poo poo animators and artists?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Bobatron posted:

I'm ok with them deviating from the the original C&C formula. I even liked C&C generals. The problem with this game is that the art and animation is just so poo poo. Why are the foot soldiers so huge? They are like some sort of anime chibi warriors or something. Like everything is out of scale and all the units sort of glide when they walk. Couldn't they have at least put a gram of that cocaine money to hiring some not poo poo animators and artists?

Yeah the animations and art and even the UI are not great.

I also thought generals was fine gameplay-wise, and like someone else pointed out other RTS games similar to this one with mobile bases etc can and do work. It's just that this one has nothing going for it aside from the C&C license. The presentation is half-assed and the gameplay of drawn-out tank vs tank slugfests can't compete with more dynamic and tactical RTS games like Company of Heroes or for that matter with broader, deeper RTS games like Sins of a Solar Empire.

I mean, why would anyone play this when those games exist? Why would anyone play this when C&C 3 exists?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Ah, god, this game. C&C95 was one of the first games I played, back when I was so young I barely understood what was going on. Tib Sun was maybe the second game I ever beat completely on my own. This game was so fundamentally disappointing that I ended up having a long talk with a therapist over my feelings about it. I am not even joking.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think you guys have already pretty comprehensively summed up what I want to say about why this game sucks, I can't really bring myself to watch them either - the hammy live action acting and Kane are really the only good parts.
A little bit of my dislike is actually a personal taste thing, I really enjoyed the feel of the original C&C and RA being a near-future/alternate history where roughly real-world tech was the mainstay but every so often you'd see something like a stealth tank, obelisk, or mammoth tank and the fact that their sci-fi tech was a little rarer made it all the more cool. And rolling across the map crushing things with your army isn't the same if your army is limited to about ten guys and takes 30 seconds to crust just one enemy unit. And more importantly, Frank Klepacki's not there to provide some sweet 90s electro-rock to crush things to.

I appreciate the designers trying to take a chance on a new formula for a rts game, but it kinda feels like a weird mashup of rts, moba and this thing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sole Survivor has to be one of the stupidest things in the series, yet I wish I could have actually experienced it online instead of just the crappy & unsatisfying offline mode.

Also, for whatever reason, until I clicked that link I was certain that it was going to be something to do with "Stalin vs Martians". Maybe this thread is just reminding me of utterly horrible RTS games.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Crazy Achmed posted:

I appreciate the designers trying to take a chance on a new formula for a rts game, but it kinda feels like a weird mashup of rts, moba and this thing.

Someone compared the "mobile base RTS"-thing to Homeworld in the past, noting that it worked out perfectly well for that game, and I feel like one of the biggest issues(but hardly the only one, Christ no) with C&C 4 is the lack of Tiberium.

See, I'm not sure how obvious it is from the videos: But there are literally no resources(except for the crystals you use to upgrade stuff). The only limit to your army is your unit cap and how fast you can produce them. This serves to make fights EXTREMELY grindy since both sides can constantly start producing new units as soon as one dies, resulting in incredibly unsatisfying stalemates or very slowly tipping near-stalemates

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

If you have to scuttle your crawler to request a new one, does letting your crawler die to enemy fire result in a game over?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

See, I'm not sure how obvious it is from the videos: But there are literally no resources(except for the crystals you use to upgrade stuff). The only limit to your army is your unit cap and how fast you can produce them. This serves to make fights EXTREMELY grindy since both sides can constantly start producing new units as soon as one dies, resulting in incredibly unsatisfying stalemates or very slowly tipping near-stalemates

What?

So this game doesn't just have obnoxiously durable units but it has unlimited obnoxiously durable units, except for the very small unit cap?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

What?

So this game doesn't just have obnoxiously durable units but it has unlimited obnoxiously durable units, except for the very small unit cap?

Yes.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SugarAddict posted:

:lol: yeep, thats EA alright.
Funny, they used the same "quality" justification to cancel Generals 2 as well, even though that would've been a better send-off for the series, so now we're forever stuck with C&C4 as the game the franchise died on.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 3
Part 1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ79x7SGz-c
Part 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOEttIWQvVA

No commentary because gently caress watching all that again.

About the mission: The first time I did this, I thought I was being clever by going support so I can go air, NOPE, there's a ton of AA around the map and the veristoids are apparently allied with GDI? What the gently caress GDI? Using tiberium based lifeforms as weapons is NOD STUFF NOT U! I had to kill 2 crawlers, and there was a 3rd in the 2nd half of the mission, and then there's the artillery and all the AA turrets that start as GDI controlled. So I had to restart as offensive, and slog though the map again.

I don't think I could have gotten the bonus objective without a second player so I'm now offering to do the LP with a partner, assuming you want to deal with the same poo poo I do. gently caress this game. You can PM me or post here or whatever.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SupSuper posted:

Funny, they used the same "quality" justification to cancel Generals 2 as well, even though that would've been a better send-off for the series, so now we're forever stuck with C&C4 as the game the franchise died on.

Am I reading too much into this, or is Generals seen as not very good? Cause I remember getting it and the expansion pack and enjoying it just as much as Red Alert 2, and honestly a bit more than C&C3. Do I just have bad opinions on video games?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shoeless posted:

Am I reading too much into this, or is Generals seen as not very good? Cause I remember getting it and the expansion pack and enjoying it just as much as Red Alert 2, and honestly a bit more than C&C3. Do I just have bad opinions on video games?
Not really, since Generals is a bit divisive. On release it was the definite black sheep of C&C; it's a fine enough RTS but doesn't stick particularly close to the C&C formula (no Sidebar/Construction Yard being the biggest and most obvious difference). As such it got mixed reception from C&C vets, with some saying it's alright but not really C&C, and others decrying it as some awful abomination that would be the end of the franchise. I'm in the former camp, as while I think it's still a pretty good game in its own right, it's certainly not the first game I think of when I see/hear the C&C name (that would be the original Red Alert).

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Not really, since Generals is a bit divisive. On release it was the definite black sheep of C&C; it's a fine enough RTS but doesn't stick particularly close to the C&C formula (no Sidebar/Construction Yard being the biggest and most obvious difference). As such it got mixed reception from C&C vets, with some saying it's alright but not really C&C, and others decrying it as some awful abomination that would be the end of the franchise. I'm in the former camp, as while I think it's still a pretty good game in its own right, it's certainly not the first game I think of when I see/hear the C&C name (that would be the original Red Alert).

Generals also happens to be extremely... Republican.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

Generals also happens to be extremely... Republican.

TERRORISTS EVERYWHERE! ALL FORNERS ARE TERRORISTS! WE NEED TO SHOOT THEM ALL! THEY ONLY UNDERSTAND VIOLENCE!! TERRORISM!!!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Isn't that just part of its charm?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Generals' setting is also fairly more mundane, even if tongue-in-cheek. C&C makes for more interesting campaigns and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

TERRORISTS EVERYWHERE! ALL FORNERS ARE TERRORISTS! WE NEED TO SHOOT THEM ALL! THEY ONLY UNDERSTAND VIOLENCE!! TERRORISM!!!

AK-47s! FOR EVERYONE!

• Locked thread