Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Generals campaigns sucked, but it is one of the two RTS games that I still play in multiplayer. (The other being Warcraft 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Ulvirich posted:

AK-47s! FOR EVERYONE!

Thank you for the new shoes!

Whatever else you might say, I would hold that Generals has some of the best unit quotes and voices.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lord Windy posted:

Generals campaigns sucked, but it is one of the two RTS games that I still play in multiplayer. (The other being Warcraft 3).

Warcraft 3's a bit unfair, as it's the closest us PC users get to have Mario Party.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xft7CqySk-o

Edit: forgot to mention this has subtitles that you should turn on.

KANE!!!

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 5, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 5
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw6aUCvj4I8
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDsSOhrq71M

No commentary.
About the Mission: I specially chose support with those flying wing bombers because it practically nullifies half the units on the map, and the other half has a big bonus against. The NPC reinforcements gotten from doing the "rescue units" bonus objective are at best good at being a distraction, but in this case they managed to deal the final blow for me. Once you destroy two MCVs the second phase and most annoying part of the map activates, you have to chase a teleporting MCV around the map, destroy the defenses and units it sets up and recapture self destruct things (you lose if he has them for too long,) and eventually damage it enough to get a victory.

Order of things to do: get two red upgrade crystals (for access to bombers and upgrades), bomb everything in the vacinity, kill their support MCV (the only real danger to you), then just keep bombing your way across the map. You can take down the other two optional MCVs in whatever order you want as it makes dealing with the teleporting MCV easier.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUxglrUYXj0
Commentary in the subtitles.

Next mission is the final mission for the Nod Campaign.
I'm going to have to spend so much time grinding xp for the GDI campaign.

Edit: I'm still welcoming anyone that wants to do co-op with me, no one wants to so far.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 7, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 7
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oqlFqFWuKA
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcLNsf50Yzo

No commentary.

This is my? 3rd attempt? and second successful run at this. I went defensive because it lets my units tank more damage, and with the ability to construct buildings, its like building two units at once with two different caps. Which I need since I'm going face first into this poo poo fest. Your computer allies are ok-ish. My primary objective is to get into the face of the enemy computer players, force their attention on me, and wear them down.

This lets my computer allies do two things.
1. Get the objectives
2. not get horribly murdered by the enemy

And since I'm not a dumbass cheating computer, I can take on two computers at once and slowly grind through them.

What they don't tell you is that your two allies are always a support and a defense, they and the enemy have extra MCVs (or crawlers whatever), so if they die they can still come back, and it is possible to lose this mission.

You lose when they have TCN things long enough for your 'influence' to reach 0, which I don't know why that would be a thing at this point in the game according to the plot.

The second phase after you reach 100% (you haven't won yet) is all crawlers besides yours are destroyed, but units are still left on the field, and the boss comes out.

The boss will instagib any air units that come into range, has a poo poo ton of HP, does lots of damage, and will occasionally land (and stop shooting) and call reinforcements. These reinforcements will often try to heal the boss and try to kill you, and in some cases are more dangerous than the boss itself.

For the GDI campaign I'm going to either play Co-op and/or spend a bunch of time grinding xp. Because I played though the nod campaign twice already and I still haven't unlocked the good stuff like the nod temple.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Note: Kane died on the way back to his home planet.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

And so C&C series ends not with a bang, but a whimper. Yeah right!

That was certainly a boss fight.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Ulvirich posted:

And so C&C series ends not with a bang, but a whimper. Yeah right!

as I recall, thats Joe Kucan's brother

Hint: GDI (and Nod?) defense classes have an upgrade called emegency system repairs(?) restoring husks of the heaviest units of all classes to operation after they have been mission-killed
you can use this to break unit cap, not only that but "recycling" with the delete key still leaves a husk

unless they patched this exploit :shrug:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

skullhead tethyis posted:

Hint: GDI (and Nod?) defense classes have an upgrade called emegency system repairs(?) restoring husks of the heaviest units of all classes to operation after they have been mission-killed
you can use this to break unit cap, not only that but "recycling" with the delete key still leaves a husk

unless they patched this exploit :shrug:

Good to know, I'll try to find this out when I do my xp grinding.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Wow, only 7 missions? At least they didn't drag it on I guess.

skullhead tethyis posted:

That scene was shot in front of the EA office too. Zero effort given.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jesus Christ that ending is just... what. I wait 20 loving years for the conclusion to the whole Tiberian arc and it's... words fail me.

I HATE THIS loving GAME!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just grab cheat engine and force the game to give you 999,999,999 XP after your next mission.

This awful game does not deserve any respect. Break it wide open and then upload a video of Kane laughing while you delete it from your hard drive.

At the same time thank you very much for showing it to us, SugarAddict.

Also, this is only barely relevant, but I made CAWs for Kane and Yuri in WWE2k14, which is a much better bad game than this.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It felt to me like the real ending to this game wasn't the final cutscene or the credits, but the summary screen.

"You leveled up and unlocked 3 new units!" is how the series really ends. :rip:

[edit]Also it's kinda fitting how all Kane wants to do is get the hell out of dodge, if I was him I'd feel the same way about escaping from this lovely game

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Yeah, when this first came out I played through both campaigns once, then immediately uninstalled it and put the case in a cabinet with a bunch of video cassettes. The most ignoble end possible for a video game. No enraged snapping of the disk. No blaze of glory as it flies into the trash can. It just sits there, with other technology that time has rendered completely worthless.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI Mission 1:
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcs8WX4LrF0
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KqeV62stI

No commentary, I'm getting sick and tired of this game. But after this mission I've played through most of the campaign to get a general feel of the missions. And you bet your rear end I will be doing my best to cheese the gently caress out of it by abusing focusing lasers.

I've also been trying to find people to do co-op with me but no luck. A partner would have been very very nice on this mission.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I have C&C 4 on Steam. I guess I can help. Maybe. I'm not enthusiastic about playing this game because it's really bad and I am bad at it.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

GDI Mission 1:
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcs8WX4LrF0
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KqeV62stI

No commentary, I'm getting sick and tired of this game. But after this mission I've played through most of the campaign to get a general feel of the missions. And you bet your rear end I will be doing my best to cheese the gently caress out of it by abusing focusing lasers.

I've also been trying to find people to do co-op with me but no luck. A partner would have been very very nice on this mission.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE

When your hate is so great you break the table.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

I have C&C 4 on Steam. I guess I can help. Maybe. I'm not enthusiastic about playing this game because it's really bad and I am bad at it.

Don't worry, I can get though this game without committing suicide or homicide.

But if you want to help that would also be great.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"We forgot to budget for costumes!"

"Eh, its no big deal. Just tell the actors to wear business casual. It'll be fine. Kane's actor still has that getup from last time right?"

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

paragon1 posted:

"Eh, its no big deal. Just tell the actors to wear business casual. It'll be fine. Kane's actor still has that getup from last time right?"

You have no idea how bad it is, literally every cutscene is almost the same for both sides and uses the same props and location.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI Mission 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8v0PhIVb9Q

No commentary.

About the mission: The second nod MCV decided to get up and walk straight into the 2nd nod faction's base, denying me a kill for xp, and all those husks are useless. The second part of the fight is defending against heavy air units, which none of those husks can do.

I purposely left out destroying the second dig team to see if it would have any effect on the mission (it didn't). I don't know why the AI glitched out during the second part of this mission, normally they attack with tons of nod levithans (anti structure and anti-infantry, heavy flying unit).

Deploying an MCV will destroy EVERYTHING in the area, buildings, units, other MCVs, even if they are flying. I remember one mission (I've already played though the entire campaign) the AI was repeatedly retiring it's MCV then redeploying it onto my forces. And about the "retire unit to get husk with backup systems", retiring a unit that would normally leave a husk just explodes without leaving a husk.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I will say one good thing about this game; it's really helping me get to sleep at night!

SugarAddict posted:

Deploying an MCV will destroy EVERYTHING in the area, buildings, units, other MCVs, even if they are flying. I remember one mission (I've already played though the entire campaign) the AI was repeatedly retiring it's MCV then redeploying it onto my forces.
Jesus loving Christ, and this 'game mechanic' got through the testing? (Hah, what testing!)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
SURPRISE CO-OP MISSION! nope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-iNK1_Mocg

GDI mission 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN1Cw4HYg-s

No commentary.'

About the mission: I sent my MCV in front because unlike infantry it doesn't die in a few hits. I also got the shield last because you can't place buildings under the shield, but you can have buildings under the shield if you placed them in an area you are going to move to. I tried to be clever with the defenses, but that offense MCV does wayyy too much damage to buildings for my attempted ambush with buildings to be any good. I should have built some dozers before I got supply capped to help with the final part. Dozers and repair slaves have a significantly shorter repair range but they repair significantly more.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Do I vote this a 1 because of how utterly awful the game is, or a 5 because the sheer level of hate for the game is so funny?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

King Doom posted:

Do I vote this a 1 because of how utterly awful the game is, or a 5 because the sheer level of hate for the game is so funny?

Good thread and content, bad game. Vote to rate the thread.

Also I'm still amazed at how painfully bad this game is. Generally when a game is bad with new or unusual concepts you can try and figure out how to make it better while keeping a number of the base mechanics but here aside from a mobile base (which isn't really a mystery to handle) there's the complete lack of a resource system (which leaves the planet healthier on the tiberium front on all maps we've seen so far) and it just makes it too hard to imagine unfucking the game without getting rid of it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

I don't think it's been brought up yet, but the issues this game have primarly stem from it originally being a F2P online title called C&C Arena that was supposed to be marketed in China. That project fell through so EA "prettied" it up with some really cheap FMVs and lackluster campaign.

Note: most of the EA LA (former Westwood) studio had also been moved to other teams or laid off as well after C&C 3 and RA3 didn't sell as well as EA wanted. They had a skeleton crew on this game and it really shows.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think it's been brought up yet, but the issues this game have primarly stem from it originally being a F2P online title called C&C Arena that was supposed to be marketed in China. That project fell through so EA "prettied" it up with some really cheap FMVs and lackluster campaign.

Note: most of the EA LA (former Westwood) studio had also been moved to other teams or laid off as well after C&C 3 and RA3 didn't sell as well as EA wanted. They had a skeleton crew on this game and it really shows.
Well good thing they learned their lesson oh.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
LEVEL loving 20 loving gently caress:
gently caress

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SupSuper posted:

Well good thing they learned their lesson oh.

....why would you start a new studio, put money towards making its first game, develop it for 2 years, and then just dissolve the studio? That sounds like a huge waste of money. Even if the game turned out to be only "meh", at least you'd be getting some of the money you put in back from sales, it doesn't have to be great it just has to be better than C&C4 which is not a high bar to clear.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Shoeless posted:

....why would you start a new studio, put money towards making its first game, develop it for 2 years, and then just dissolve the studio? That sounds like a huge waste of money. Even if the game turned out to be only "meh", at least you'd be getting some of the money you put in back from sales, it doesn't have to be great it just has to be better than C&C4 which is not a high bar to clear.

My best guess is that the entire thing was a sham to begin with, they prob used it as a way to spend money on things to snort while writing off the "failed project" as a tax write off.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Shoeless posted:

John Ricatello (spelling?) then CEO of EA left the company an within seconds Generals 2 "failed to meet standards"
anything that wasn't a yearly franchise (Madden, FIFA) or large property (Mass effect, battlefield, dragon age, plants versus zombies) was instantly deemed a massive money sink
Mr. Ricatello may have conducted some poor business decisions, reportedly though he liked the C&C franchise et al. unfortunately he was seemingly the only levy against an impossible tide of incompetence.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

You'll never be able to understand the inscrutable corporate minds that run EA, so don't even try. I have been observing their behaviors for years and have only learned a few things:

1. They do not play videogames
2. They do not like videogames
3. They have an almost endless contempt for people who like or play videogames
4. They love money but hate and torture the people who give them money

Based on their conduct I would speculate that they are aliens wearing human suits, subterranean monster people, ancient malevolent spirits, or some combination thereof. They are definitely not mammals.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Isn't that most of the big game publishers though?

I;m pretty sure Kotick doesn't play Call of Duty, for instance.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Suprise actual co-op for the Nod Campaign!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgkzMBBAlI

Special thanks to KiR2RuN4FuN for the Co-op!

GDI mission 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ONNcab_Zc

GDI mission 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWFTxjQkEw

Finally show off the GDI Ion cannon.

No commentary for the videos.

Special note that Zone commanders get an EMP attached to their attack if the Ion cannon is present.

Also of note, why can't she just ion cannon everything?
Ion cannons were a plot point in all the previous C&C games so why is there no ion cannon plot in this game?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was wondering where the ion cannon was until I realized it's actually that kind of neat targeting laser animation followed by what appears to be a large splash of water.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sindai posted:

I was wondering where the ion cannon was until I realized it's actually that kind of neat targeting laser animation followed by what appears to be a large splash of water.

Even the original, which could only tale out one medium-health building at a time, looked more impressive than this, holy crap.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI mission 6

Failure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md0Jh65caGo
Success: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0xldcqDpI

Always save before you do something stupid, like trying to Ion cannon Kane right before victory.

No commentary.

About the Mission, the first base defense involves defending a building, half the time they go after the building. The last part of the mission that the siege on the stage, you have two choices, join in with everyone else with siege hardware, or go through the significantly less defended ramp on the far right of the Nod Base.

Also, attempting any attack on Kane results in instant defeat, even if you try to ion cannon him (what the hell GDI? what happened to your Ion Cannons?)

Also of note, WE NEVER SAW ANY SCRIN AND NEVER WILL.

Next mission is the last mission, I'm going to be waiting around online to try to get a co-op partner simply because I want one for the final mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI Mission 7:
Yup, It's still poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZtlnAogEU4

Edit: no commentary.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 27, 2016

• Locked thread