Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
My favorite part of RO was complete garbage monsters having a 0.01% chance of dropping something awesome, potentially making you an instant rich man. Anything like that here? Or can i safely vend everything i don't use?

this game is kinda fun and relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That type of rare drop grinding is definitely a thing in this game and the auction house prices reflect this. you may be in for a treat.

And on that note, do NOT sell Battle Bracelets right now. Great time to buy them if you can afford them however

Zo posted:

this game is kinda fun and relaxing.

exactly.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Oh that's cool. I'm basically playing this like it's RO except i can use a controller.

i also like all the QoL and ui improvements over beta (which i played for like a day and then stopped because of all the lag)

I'm on the jp server tho so can't play with goons

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Tons of great changes in the patch that hit kToS last night: http://pastebin.com/uM7PpfdK

Particularly looking forward to the Hunter and Sapper changes, as those will help me a lot, and the Thaum changes are very welcome!

...Also, a gacha with some useful items in it. The most useful are the gem abrasives or blessed gems, I guess?

Also do note that the transcendence system was reworked, and it takes way less gems to level up non-weapons (and still less for weapons but not as little? IDK), but now when you fail the item loses 1 potential (not sure if it still loses 1 step of transcend as well). Extracting gems from transcended items will return 20%-90% of the gems depending on the item's potential, not sure how the scale works tho tbh.

Shame about the gacha souring an otherwise great patch, but as long as it keeps the game running and it's not egregious I'm perfectly willing to take it as long as the good changes keep coming.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Hey look it's the real reason I couldn't ever get my name....

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
much as i DESPISE gachas in f2p games, silento, you forgot to mention the important bit.

all the poo poo that drops from the gacha is:
1) cosmetic
2) sellable on the AH

so that means its not a complete ratscrew

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

1) cosmetic

hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv30FK3YvEA

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

much as i DESPISE gachas in f2p games, silento, you forgot to mention the important bit.

1) cosmetic
2) sellable on the AH

so that means its not a complete ratscrew

Oh I'm 100% fine with the cosmetic gacha, it's the one with gem abrasives that is kinda lovely. But yeah it's in no way doomsday, game has gotten so many improvements lately that I could care less about a small thing like that.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

lol is that 1 (one) blessed gem? Call the police, game is over!!!! P2W forever!!!!!!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
huh. i thought the cube was purely those new hats and the costumes. welp

Silento posted:

lol is that 1 (one) blessed gem? Call the police, game is over!!!! P2W forever!!!!!!

well its kinda poo poo but i appreciate your sarcasm, friend

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Silento posted:

this is freaking rude. here's the whole list, it's a separate cube from the cosmetic gacha http://tos.nexon.com/popup/probability.aspx

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbApQOzAyoU
What do you people make of this? :spergin:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's well known and has been used since the closed betas.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:glompoff:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK Tree of Saviors thanksgiving celebration event is... a thing I guess.

You are given seeds that you can consume and get a speed and exp bonus or you can plant them and wait for them to grow to get rewards. Except anyone can harvest the reward so they can steal your poo poo.

Stinging critique of the white mans treatment of the Amerindian in a korean anime mmo.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cao Ni Ma posted:

OK Tree of Saviors thanksgiving celebration event is... a thing I guess.

You are given seeds that you can consume and get a speed and exp bonus or you can plant them and wait for them to grow to get rewards. Except anyone can harvest the reward so they can steal your poo poo.

Stinging critique of the white mans treatment of the Amerindian in a korean anime mmo.

It was an oversight to forget to mention on the event description that there is a grace period of something like 10 minutes after the the seed is finished growing where only you can pick up the reward. Also, if you let the grace period run out, you can coordinate with other players to harvest at the same time (like with quest items in a party) for multiplied benefits for everyone!

So while the event is still extremely annoying in that you have to hound your seeds for a substantial time period, at least it's not designed completely like some kind of sick social experiment.

like the rest of the game

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
this is...actually a cool event. Really nice to see a lot of people grouping up and planning harvests together, giving their own seeds for everyone to get everyone else's rewards in exchange.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Seize the means of gem production! :redhammer:

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
So what is the deal with the game at this point? I was there for a couple of days of early access but the 20fps outside of town on a mid-range gaming card made me think, "Whoever made this game doesn't care about it." I didn't stick around to see if it was fun.

I logged back in a few days ago. Framerates are fine and walking around chopping up mobs is pretty cool. Is there any terrifying nonsense / utter stupidity that should keep me away from this game, or did IMC pull a Diablo III and un-suck their game after everyone realized it was trash?

Can not join guild; need to be on SEA server, but are y'all having fun?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I haven't played in a few weeks cause I've been busy with Maple, but yeah, I enjoy ToS.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I like to tell new players in general to not sweat the side quests until like level 25 or 27 or so, exp cards give the same amount of experience at any time and you want the bigger, fatter higher level ones.

Also, [E: it's cool to take another circle of the same class as yours when you advance, for new skills and to improve your old ones, but] don't take Swordsman after you start as swordsman. Trust me on this.

Finally, try to save up silver for a token on the market before level 46 or so. Stuff gets more comfortable with one.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 22, 2016

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

If I want to swordsman tank for my buddies, am I basically stuck going multiple circles into peltasta? Or can I take the cooler later classes? I just started and I only am about two thirds of the way through Peltasta, but it would be nice to know.

Edit: Also stats are weird. I assume I go mostly Con, wtih a little bit in spirit/dex/strength?

Scatsby fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 30, 2016

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
you only need one rank of pelt, for swashbuckling. "tanking" isn't really a thing in this game since most damage is avoidable and there are multiple buffs that make you invincible anyway. as long as you can gather up a bunch of mobs at once that's all anyone expects from a tank

con is good but it shouldn't be your primary stat, pick either str or dex based on whether you want to hit really hard or crit/dodge a bunch. spirit is useless for everyone who isn't a priest

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

gently caress this questline, also

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I updated this after Christmas while I had some free time. It feels like I must be doing something wrong though because it feels so slow. Killing one mob takes ages holding Z down while my char goes "thwack thwack Hiya!". Maybe it's down to having rolled a cleric/healer type char or the 60 to 70 area is just tedious?
Pretty sure I modified my weapon recently but it's like death of a thousand hammer blows every time.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
clerics wreck the early game, what's your build?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ratzap posted:

I updated this after Christmas while I had some free time. It feels like I must be doing something wrong though because it feels so slow. Killing one mob takes ages holding Z down while my char goes "thwack thwack Hiya!". Maybe it's down to having rolled a cleric/healer type char or the 60 to 70 area is just tedious?
Pretty sure I modified my weapon recently but it's like death of a thousand hammer blows every time.

Are you using an auto attack build with like priest and chaplain? As long as you have gear then it still scales pretty well.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hit F3 and screencap your classes. There are lots of ways to make a Cleric explode mobs quickly, and YES bread can help you (alternatively, use the goon discord)

YES bread posted:

clerics wreck the early game, what's your build?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Hit F3 and screencap your classes. There are lots of ways to make a Cleric explode mobs quickly, and YES bread can help you (alternatively, use the goon discord)

Here you go, took a while to get in for some reason. It just hung at the end of the loading screen.

The char is L60 (named after one of my cats if you're wondering)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
okay. you have done some things. Off the top of my head, here are some things on a check list to do in order to boost your whacking power:

Camp Cafrisun in Srautas Gorge--warp there, and walk directly southeast past the pair of big orange flowers until you get to that small dead-end. He spawns like every 10(?) minutes or so and he will drop a piece of his armor set for you every time you kill him. Alternatively, you can buy his pieces on the market, they're not too expensive. You want all 4 of his pieces equipped so you get an extra hit, as if you had another Sacrament on top of your own Sacrament.

Get enchanted hats--any Hair Costume (1, 2, and 3) that says "*element or poison* Property Attack ^ ##" in its special properties. There might be some on the market for cheap, but you can also buy Enchant Scrolls (market or TP trader if you have TP) to use on any hats you might have yourself. The Attack from these hair costumes will apply to your melee, your Sacrament, and your Cafrisun armor set, for a total of 3x. Later on you'll want an Arde Dagger (and if you're rich later, an Agny Necklace) for your off-hand which will do the same.

Later, build a Five Hammer--the premier smurf alt character weapon for veterans, Five Hammer has 5 gem slots for you to open up (at the Blacksmith) and do stupid damage for lowbies if you gem it with 3* or higher red gems (it's recommended to roast them too).

Note that the above tips actually apply for literally any character that isn't a Wizard until rather deep into the middle levels. Exception: Archers can't use Five Hammer and Wizards can. As an aside, the game likes to steeply ramp up monster HP at certain level checkpoints in the game because it assumes (incorrectly because lol @ kMMOs explaining anything regarding class choices, gear and power levels well) that you've found a superamazingwowOPbroken way to do exponentially more damage in the past 30-40 levels of your journey. It's unfortunately not a steady treadmill like certain other games.

Also, Cleric-specific:
Stop with the Multiple Stat Distribution: the way the game mechanics work, spreading your stats everywhere will eventually slow you down versus focusing solely on one stat. I don't know what that stat is for Priests, please consult priest expert

Get Cleric Circle 2--I'm told it is extremely good, and you should not skip it. More tiles from Heal with 10 skill points in it is a lot of damage. (you can put skill points into old skills, some of them scale really well) Divine Might at Circle 2 increases skills levels of every skill you have. Fade at Circle 2 lets you avoid aggro mobs completely if you need to escape or travel through to a place you care about.

If you've only been leveling by beating up monsters, it's highly suggested to do the level 50 Auto Match dungeon instance (the UI for dungeons is good now!) every day because it's still good exp all the way up to level 70-75 or so (the allowed level range got wider!), at which point iirc you should be reaching your next Advancement. Or well, if you can stomach it, collect some bear asses for quests, Lv4 EXP Cards are ok, Lv5 EXP Cards are great.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 1, 2017

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Here you go, took a while to get in for some reason. It just hung at the end of the loading screen.

The char is L60 (named after one of my cats if you're wondering)

To add onto Sidesaddle Cavalry's very good general advice:

the second circle of cleric is indeed hyper good and you should take it. I leveled a c1 cleric to rank 7 to make absolutely sure it is a bad idea, and it is! c2 gives you access to the safety zone attribute which is amazing, on top of all the other good things already mentioned.

your stat spread is bad but you're low enough level that it's not too big of a deal. where you should put your stats is going to depend on what classes and skills you want to focus on.

Spirit: imo the perfect stat if you want a build with a zillion buffs for every situation. blessing and stoneskin both scale with it, and with tons of spirit you'll never have to buy a mana potion. stoneskin is garbage without heavy investment in spirit so avoid that skill if you plan on going priest3

Int: for magic damage or damage/support hybrid builds. this will buff your heals some but it's a small enough amount to not be a big deal. most cleric damage abilities are magic attack and will scale off this, and most clerics are heavy int focused.

Strength: don't

Dexterity: dex inquisitors with a rank in priest for monstrance are a hot poo poo korea fotm build that nukes bosses in seconds, probably requires a stat reset potion to not want to kill yourself and not recommended for a new player

Cleric also has a few special interactions with abilities, the one most relevant to you will be the Blessing buff causing your heal tiles to damage enemies twice per tile. this turns your 22 heal tiles per cooldown with Cleric2 into a minefield vs. anything that doesn't fly

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the replies. The hat enchant was easy enough to do and it made a big difference straight up. I went and got 2 of the Cafrisun bits and I'll go back for more later once the asians go to bed and it thins out there.

Everything else is too expensive, I have 18,000 coins. I was going to sell a token but it tells me I can't buy one again till 8/9/16 at midnight...

I'll take cleric 2 when I rank up next (fairly soon). For stats I dunno. I usually play healers in MMOs but I have no idea if support clerics are even useful late game in ToS.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I have been kind of tempted to finish leveling my linker/chrono/sage, but at the same time I feel like there's no point at all to playing this game.

Noted ToS players, why do I want to level up.

also, it being real chill will probably be nice because my life is about to pick up and I will need a chill out activity

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I used the rank reset voucher given out at Christmas to go back and get cleric 2. But of course I failed to read it completely through and lost 8 levels of class exp - it only gives you full ranks back.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you're still under level 90 or 100 then 8 levels of class exp are just a drop in the bucket, you didn't make a huge mistake.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If you're still under level 90 or 100 then 8 levels of class exp are just a drop in the bucket, you didn't make a huge mistake.

Yeah I went to the L50 dungeon and got them back. It just annoys me that something like that is at the bottom of the page with the rest of the small print. Or it annoys me that I didn't read it carefully enough - one or the other ;)

I finally got the last Cafrisun part to drop too. I'll dig out my exp increasing consumables and hit the dungeon a few more times.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Slightly related - I wonder if there are many goons playing Aura Kingdom on Steam. It's a similar art style to ToS but seems to be a hell of a lot easier to progress. It's also big on 'dress me up' features and surprisingly not pandering to the Furry brigade.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ratzap posted:

Slightly related - I wonder if there are many goons playing Aura Kingdom on Steam. It's a similar art style to ToS but seems to be a hell of a lot easier to progress. It's also big on 'dress me up' features and surprisingly not pandering to the Furry brigade.

I played Aura Kingdom and it was pretty chill until level 50. Then it turned into a grind (not as much of a grind as ToS) after that and the top end was rife with needing to spend money to get the good eidolons and some other poo poo to min/max. The game was pretty and had some neat content.

This experience is from like 9 months ago though so things may have changed.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
From what I found about it, the very last few levels are super grindy still yeah. There's an expansion coming this month to level 90 or something.

I doubt if the end game will be a problem since I'm more likely to get bored before reaching it but so far it's fun.

I got to L100 in ToS then ran out of puff. It just seemed like the same poo poo over and over without much in the way of fun parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Big rear end patch: https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=874

Good rear end event: https://treeofsavior.com/event/levelupchestchallenge/

Bad rear end poster: ???

• Locked thread