Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

In Training posted:

I meant the new FE. I thought the XCOM reboot was good? I dont really know anything about these games.

xcom reboot was v good but there's a lot of supersperg hangups that would keep you from playing 50 games of it the way you did the 1994 xcom (or the most recent one, the most recent one has a lot of stuff to keep you coming back)

you bought xcom reboot expecting to play it for like 30-40 hours and then closing it, which even at release price was a pretty ok deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

i think most people agree that terror form the deep is vastly inferior to enemy unknown

true

tftd was a pretty half-hearted expansion pack, not even really a full game. also it's ridic hard because the difficulty in EU/UFO Defense/whatever the gently caress you want to call it was bugged and any time you loaded your game it reset to beginner difficulty. everyone bitched it was too easy and microprose didn't even know about the loving bug until after tftd was released

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm playing Long War for Xcom 2012 and it was good for a while but now every mission is just several clown cars of 20hp super floaters and Muton elites crammed into a stupidly tiny map and I'm starting to get kind of bored

this is basically the heart of the back and forth that lit up the pro-LW and anti-LW people in the Games thread i ran for like 2 years

the argument was insanely Games/gay

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they do still move out of view and they also still get a scamper after they're activated and loving lol you're an idiot if you think that's a console thing

that's a "hey this would be the easiest loving thing in the world if this didn't happen" thing

In 2 you get to set up some sweet as gently caress ambushes though so you get the best part of it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Xenonauts and the original XCOM are extremely difficult without having huge numbers of big HP enemies, or having the enemy always be in perfect cover
cover isn't even a real mechanic in either of those games like at all so you're wrong and a doody head

the closest thing you get is random los weirdness that might save you from one hit, or concealment by moving behind a wall which works identically in both games

also fuckin lol if you think 1994 XCOM was hard. even on superhuman you had like 2 or 3 touch and go months and then you just started exploiting squad sight on everyone with heavy plasma and it was game over, aliens would never step to you again

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loving hate the scampering into cover thing. Oh I moved my last dude to the side a bit to flank someone? Well there was a pod of mutons around there and they immediately get to hop into cover and gun down half my defenseless guys. Obviously you can mitigate the chances of that happening but it’s still poo poo. And if you activate them on your first dude you can wipe them all out easily. Dumb.
yeah the scamper mechanic makes sense from a difficulty perspective imo (otherwise you could just get an entire turn of shooting people who are picking their assholes) but the way it was in EU left a lot of weird stuff going on. it's way better in 2 because generally you will only do that sort of activation on your first enemy pod, which you have concealment against in most cases and you get the hella sweet ambush you deserve. beyond that, most enemies activate because they are investigating noise and therefore do so at maximum range...which basically means they show up using cover like aware enemies should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nobody's whined about more than an isolated crash/bugs due to mods in the xcom 2 games thread for a while now and having run those threads for like 3 years now i can tell you that the people in there will whine about loving ANYTHING so i'm currently under the impression that things work pretty good

• Locked thread