Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Long War for Xcom 2012 and it was good for a while but now every mission is just several clown cars of 20hp super floaters and Muton elites crammed into a stupidly tiny map and I'm starting to get kind of bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loving hate the scampering into cover thing. Oh I moved my last dude to the side a bit to flank someone? Well there was a pod of mutons around there and they immediately get to hop into cover and gun down half my defenseless guys. Obviously you can mitigate the chances of that happening but it’s still poo poo. And if you activate them on your first dude you can wipe them all out easily. Dumb. It's especially bad in Long War with the increased enemy pods. My biggest problem with it really is that it just doesn’t make for remotely interesting tactical gameplay, it just forces you to play it safe and sigh when you move a square too far and a clown car honks its way into the scene and 12 floaters spill out.

Oh yeah Xenonauts is really good. I love original X-Com but I don’t really feel the need to go back to it now that Xenonauts exists since it’s a 90% perfect remake with a lot more modern quality of life stuff, pity it has no psionics and approximately zero charm by comparison.

Coolguye posted:

this is basically the heart of the back and forth that lit up the pro-LW and anti-LW people in the Games thread i ran for like 2 years
the argument was insanely Games/gay
I’m enjoying it a bit more now that I’m making sure to bring loads of explosives and stuff like that. I don’t think I can blame LW because it’s just showing up the problems with the base game that it would take, well, a whole new game to fix. The activating enemies thing, the small maps (though I think it adds more and slightly bigger ones?), the really fuckin limiting two-actions thing instead of perfectly good action points. There’s basically no way to add difficulty to XCOM 2012 other than more enemies, more enemy HP and more cheap enemy attacks, unless you remake the game from the ground up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I’m enjoying it a bit more now that I’m making sure to bring loads of explosives and stuff like that.
I just moved my first character on a normal abduction mission, still in blue squares, and he triggered five elite mutons, an ethereal, four floaters, two heavy floaters and five seekers. gently caress this game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*clown car full of floaters honks madly in the distance as it drops off another six*

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ronin is really good but I’m literally too stupid to deal with the gunners on NG+ and am stuck on like the fifth level.

• Locked thread