Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

My relationship with papa Lowtax has always been Strained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is this another zero-sum thing like the cunning/soldiering/intellect choice?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dreggon posted:

is this another zero-sum thing like the cunning/soldiering/intellect choice?

Nope: you can have great relations with all your family members, awful ones, or somewhere in between.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
:whatup: Dad, I'm killing folks and making you proud, as always.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AJ_Impy posted:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

AJ_Impy posted:

Really I can't not pick this one.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Writers and romantics so often say that it is killing, or property, or lying with a woman that makes a boy into a man. You know those penny-pedants speak naught but nonsense.

In the first years of your life, it had been your father who taught you the ways of the saddle, the sword, and the pistol. It was with him that you went hunting upon your family's ramshackle estate. It was he who taught you the meaning of honour and of how to speak, stand, and behave as a gentleman.

War, wealth, sex; none of those things made you a man. It had been your father, still standing tall and infinitely wise in your mind's eye, that had made you a man.

In addition, news from your father means news from the rest of your family.

What of the rest of your family, anyhow? What do you remember of them; your mother, for example?

My mother and I are quite close.

Mother and I do not speak much.

Mother is dead, and she has been for quite a few years now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
RIP, mom.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

In the first years of your life, it had been your father who taught you the ways of the saddle, the sword, and the pistol.

Soldiering: 24%

Thanks, dad.

edit: changed vote, murder-family is a much better background. Mom & Al are close

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 3, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Al never really got along with his mom.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sure, let's go the angsty orphan route. :P

Mom's fine, we get on well. I don't kill people because of issues with my family, I kill people because it's fun.

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009
My mother and I are quite close.

Al's parents taught him everything he knows about being a scumbag. This family is the Brady bunch of crimes against humanity.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Mom and I are close

gazza
Oct 20, 2013
Best buds with all of our war criminal family.

Murderdad and murdermom are so proud of us.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Proud Mama's boy

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Mama taught me to choke a man with my bare hands. My mommy is awesome.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Mama told me to come back with my shield or on it. Only thing she said to me for 10 years.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Mom dead, so what?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ButtDoktor posted:

Thanks, dad.

edit: changed vote, murder-family is a much better background. Mom & Al are close

We were better at fighting before we were trained by the dragoons, I swear!

Also we have a very loving family of war-criminals, mama always went the extra mile. Why I remember fondly her gingerbread cookies shaped like burning women and children.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 4, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Your mother must still be worried about you, but no less than you worry about her. After all, she is in her elder years now, and her health is a constant concern of yours.

What else? What of your siblings? Have you siblings?

I have a younger brother and sister.

I have a younger sister.

I am an only child.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

The next generation of murderkids is almost ready for the big time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Murderbro&murdersis

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Bro and sis are already committing their first war-misdemeanors :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

if we ever get to give ourselves a nickname i am pre-emptively voting for "The War Criminal"

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Yes, a brother and a sister, both just entering adulthood, you remember now.

You open the letter and set it down on the desk, pausing only to light a candle to hold back the advancing gloom of sunset. Then, you sit down and read it.

quote:

My Beloved Son,

One could not encompass how much of a direct shock our army's late defeat at Blogia was to us. I must admit that I was in a state of great distress for an extended time, not knowing if you were live or slain. Thus, one might be able to understand the joy I felt when we received news of your survival and recovery from wounds. That you were able, as well, to cover yourself with glory, was a second blessing apt to turn a moment of thanksgiving into one of celebration.

The Saints have watched over you, my dear boy, and for that I shall be thankful to them evermore.

Know that your mother prays for your safety with each passing day and that we most sorely await the very hour that you return to us, whole in mind and body.

Your brother has expressed his intention to join the King's Army, in emulation of your own shining exploits. Your sister continues to search for eligible suitors. Unfortunately, our current lack of funds renders both rather unlikely.

I am afraid that our family's acute lack of funds may become a constant shade over our heads in future. This war has not been kind to our financial state; some of our tenants have left to take up the King's arms, and the increased rates of taxation have also forced many others to leave for the cities, where more work might be found. The result is that the income of our estate has dropped greatly, to the point where it might barely pay the interest on our debts.

While any aid on your part would be most welcome, I must state without equivocation that one must not beggar oneself to pay the debts of his father. I trust your good judgement in this situation, but if you have the money to spare, it shall be most welcome.

Regardless of your decision on the matter, I am proud to remain,

Your Father

quote:

He hides it well, but it is clear that your father is distressed over your house's debts. Perhaps you might manage to offer some small relief through your own not-inconsiderable income?

Additionally, despite how much you might wish it, your father will not live forever. One day, he will ride with the Saints, and you will become Baron Somewhere Awful. His debts will become your debts. Paying some of those debts off now might help later.

I send back as much money as I can: thirty crown a month.

I send my family a substantial sum: fifteen crown a month.

I have expenses too! I send back five crown a month.

I send back nothing.

quote:

As of the Summer of the 607th year of the Old Imperial Era

Sir Alaric d'al Sancroix
Wealth: 215
Income: 30

Soldiering: 24%
Charisma: 50%
Intellect: 60%
Health: 75%
Idealism: 39% Cynicism: 61%
Ruthlessness: 95% Mercy: 5%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear bane-hardened armour and wield a bane-runed sword.

You can speak, read, and write the Antari language.

Unit Information:
Sixth Squadron, Royal Dragoons
Senior NCO: Staff-sergeant Lanzerel
Discipline: 25%
Morale: 30%
Loyalty: 25%
Strength: 96%

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A dutiful son tends well to his kin, that they may continue the murdery life.

I can spot you fifteen crowns a month, no worries.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Clearly, our murder family comes first.

30 crowns!

More money today, more murder tomorrow!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Our sister needs a murder-husband! 15 Crowns (Because we need funds for our own war crimes too.)

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
15 crowns will put our father at ease and ensure our siblings are covered with blood for years to come!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

15 Crowns we are not yet rich enough to give much more.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

15 crowns

Gotta do something to look after ourselves, so we don't start letting the murder-side down.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

30 crowns. If we can be generous with Antari peasants then we can be even more so with our family.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

30 crowns. If we can be generous with Antari peasants then we can be even more so with our family.

That was Legitimate Caz, Alaric hung out in the Officer's Club.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Whoops :v: Well my point still stands anyway, it's our family!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Send nothing. If the king wanted that money in civilian hands, he wouldn't have raised taxes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Nothing.

Give a man 15 gold crowns and feed him for a month, teach him how to massacre civilians and steal their stuff, and feed him for a lifetime.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Fifteen gold crown is nothing to laugh at; it is more than the average Tierran farm labourer makes in a year. Any of your ordinary dragoons would likely kill for that sort of money.

Still, your family comes first, and you decide to send that considerable amount home, every month.

You fold up the letter again, reach for your pen, and begin drafting a reply….

quote:

Weeks pass and turn into months. The burning heat of the Antari summer turns into the mild breezes and heavy rain of autumn.

Staff-sergeant Lanzerel puts his plans into motion. Over the following days, you see a few more of your men wearing freshly-sewn sergeant's and corporal's stripes.

The improvement isn't dramatic; the new NCOs are still the best of a bad lot, but you do see some small changes for the better here and there.

+3% Discipline, Loyalty and Morale

quote:

Then, one day not a week after the first killer frost of the winter, you are summoned to the army's headquarters building. Waiting for you there are four men bearing the sigil of the Order of Saint Joshua and a large, carefully padded box.

The liveried men—Seekers of the Red—take an hour to undo all but one of the multiple seals warding the box. The last one is carefully warded, a banetrap designed to fatally incapacitate any who touch it, save you. With some difficulty, the Seekers assist you in undoing the last safeguard. Then, the box is opened.

Inside, mounted upon a wooden cross-shaped stand, sits a full suit of gleaming plate armour and a padded arming doublet to absorb heavy shocks and prevent chafing, complete with maille patches to cover gaps in the plate. Next to the armour is a second stand carrying a finely made broad-bladed longsword in a black leather scabbard. To your baneblooded eyes, both are marked with intricate patterns of acid-etched runes, glowing with the pale blue light of the Bane.

They are the armour and weapon of a Knight of the Orders-Militant, and you know full well that both have been tailored to fit your body exactly.

quote:

In a closed room, the four Seekers—servants of the knightly order which the King inducted you into nearly a year ago—help you put on your armour for the first time. The process takes another ten minutes, but the armour itself is surprisingly comfortable. Save for the claustrophobic darkness of the heavy plumed helm, you could almost feel as if the armour was a second skin, one which renders you impervious to most mundane weapons, including musket fire at any range beyond ten metres.

It is only when you are fully clad head to toe in a skin of enchanted steel that the Seekers present you with the sword—your sword. Your gauntleted hand fits the leather grip perfectly, and the blade draws from its scabbard as smoothly as silk in a summer breeze.

The instant the sword clears its sheath, the runes on the blade flare with a sudden intensity. Then, as your banesense begins to tug at your mind and edge your vision in green, the blade bursts into brilliant orange flame.

The sword's balance is perfect, and the heavy blade feels deadly in your hand as you take a few experimental swings, facing away from the four religious servants. You feel agile and powerful as you handle the massive sword one-handed. You barely feel the weight of the armour at all.

You know of the power of bane-hardened armour and bane-runed weaponry from personal experience. The former provides phenomenal protection, and the latter can penetrate even bane-hardened armour, let alone comparatively trivial obstacles like stone, wood, or people. However, you have no doubt that your enemies would know this too; going into battle in a big, clanking, shining suit of armour with a flaming sword in hand might as well be an open invitation to your enemies to try to kill you first.

With that in mind, how often do you plan on using your new knightly equipment?

I shall be going into every battle in armour, with my new sword.

I shall decide on a case-by-case basis.

I'll continue wearing my Dragoon uniform and sabre, thank you kindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Case by case basis.

Stay flexible, stay alive.

• Locked thread