Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

AJ_Impy posted:

Probably isn't. Musing on "I thought we were bros" leading to "Technically if Atros gets hitched to his sister that would make them brothers in law" leading to "Hang on, he's a bastard and she's a scion of remarriage, they're not even half-siblings, so what the hell does that mean in terms of family?"

Ok, fine, we'll accept that as your official defense but we all know the real reason.

Caz why didn't you tell us you had a smokin' hot MuderSister?

E vvv Why did that never occur to me, it makes so much sense... vvv

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speculation:

I'm not even sure Cazarosta is a bastard. To borrow a Potterism, some people have been wondering, myself included, that he might be a "squib," the product of an innocent genetic accident rather than infidelity. He and Kat are similarly ruthless and I believe have similar features, but on the face of it aren't supposed to be blood related. The possibility that not even being pureborn can prevent the loss of banesight in their bloodlines could have a dramatic effect on Tierran society and if there were any game positioned to shine a spotlight on the social issues in Tierran society it would be Lords of Infinity. We don't actually know the source of the bane "gene" nor do we know how it functions, but all that inbreeding can't be good in the long run.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Of course my murder waifu is related to my murder bro

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Speculation:

I'm not even sure Cazarosta is a bastard. To borrow a Potterism, some people have been wondering, myself included, that he might be a "squib," the product of an innocent genetic accident rather than infidelity. He and Kat are similarly ruthless and I believe have similar features, but on the face of it aren't supposed to be blood related. The possibility that not even being pureborn can prevent the loss of banesight in their bloodlines could have a dramatic effect on Tierran society and if there were any game positioned to shine a spotlight on the social issues in Tierran society it would be Lords of Infinity. We don't actually know the source of the bane "gene" nor do we know how it functions, but all that inbreeding can't be good in the long run.
Another black bar collection regarding old Caz's situation I'd be very surprised if he turns out to be the result of a mistep from his mother. Considering how the nobility have built their powerbase on the fact that they are the sole carriers of the "Bane gene", it wouldn't be a stretch guessing that his father had to fabricate a lie in order to preserve their dirty secret. If Caz is the first sign that the Bane gene is being bred out of the nobility then I have a feeling that a lot of noble mothers will start losing their heads once they start producing more baneless kids

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It's tied between we 'knew' and asking Caz why, next vote wins.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
We definitely saw the family resemblance, why do you think we banged Kat?]

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Lady Katarina's eyebrow rises. "Did you?" she asks sceptically.

You nod. "I did. I rather thought all the pieces fit together quite well," you reply confidently. "I would even cite the fact that the two of you share a physickal resemblance, were it not for the fact that any such similarity would clearly have been a coincidence."

Cazarosta makes no reply, but the dark-haired noblewoman beside him nods. "I must suppose that one also must possess the insight to know why I felt the need to hide what I did?" she asks with a flash of her wicked grin. "Aside from the normal exigencies of my professional circumstances, of course."

You nod. Tierran inheritance law, in all of its intolerably complex glory, had been hammered into your head early and often; it was the one thing no aristocratic education could ignore, the one thing that maintained the continuity of the Unified Kingdom's baneblooded lines, supervising the title from father to son, or if no sons were available, father to daughter…

…or rather, to the daughter's husband.

With that in mind, it is no wonder that Lady Katarina had been so anxious to protect her identity. She was the key to the vast riches of Leoniscourt: the monopolies, the hereditary offices, the trade tariffs worth twenty thousand crown a year. Had the army, with its vast supply of impoverished, unmarried banebloods known…

…had you known.

"My lady must believe me—" you blurt out. Does she think you were after her for her money? Saints be damned, you mustn't ever let her think that. "Even after I had gained some inkling of your family's fortune, I never thought to—"

Katarina shakes her head, the corners of her mouth curled into the softest of smiles. "I know, Atros," she replies, voice barely above a whisper. "I know."

quote:

Another thought comes to mind. "If this deception was to protect you whilst among the officers of the King's Army, does that mean…"

Lady Katarina nods. "It does. With my mission here in Antar having culminated in the war's successful conclusion, Caius and I shall be returning to Leoniscourt on the same ship. Afterwards, I shall be returning to Aetoria to resume my duties." She flashes you yet another hint of a smile. "I shall send you the address to my townhouse in the capital when I am once again in residence, should you wish to call upon me."

"Then things turned out the way you expected?" you ask.

Lady Katarina nods. "There were complications, of course, but things worked out well enough in the end; the war's favourable conclusion is testament enough to that," she replies. "As promised, you are now free from any obligation from our quarter. Barring any extraordinary circumstances, you need never see or hear from me again."

"You know I would not wish that," you reply, the very thought of the prospect filling your voice with pained ardour. "Saints above, you know I would wish anything but that."

She smiles, her eyes soft pools of blue as they well with tears. "I had not dared hope you would feel thus, not after the great privations we have put you through. I feared—"

Her words strangle themselves in her mouth as you take her hand in yours. "There is no need to fear," you reply, your voice softening with each word. "No need at all. Once my affairs are set in order, I shall call upon you at soonest opportunity."

Katarina nods, a smile forming upon her lips as she dries her eyes with a square of white lace. "Then I pray your affairs are righted quickly," she says. "Saints go with you, Atros," she whispers as she turns for the ship that is to take her back to Tierra.

quote:

You watch them as they make their way down the quay to their waiting ship, ponies and maids in tow.

Apart, you had always found some level of similarity betwixt the two; a shared sense of determination, an efficient sense of practicality. However, now that you see them together, you cannot help but notice how the scarred dragoon and the Royal Intelligence operative complement each other in so many ways as they direct the loading of Lady Katarina's ponies together.

There is a closeness between them, of the sort difficult to find even between siblings linked by blood, that much is obvious.

It is a notion that can only add urgency to the anxiety now plaguing your thoughts. For years, you had behaved before them as if they were separate entities, unknown to each other. To learn at this late hour that they had been joined by so close a personal partnership, that is a thing fit to turn all of your assumptions regarding both Cazarosta and Lady Katarina upside-down.

How must you approach them in future, knowing what you do now?

Both have proved steady allies apart, together they would prove even more formidable.

I only hope that Cazarosta does not take issue with my pursuit of Lady Katarina.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Atros is going to have a wonderful extended murderfamily.

Better together.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We all cool.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

ButtDoktor posted:

Better together.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ButtDoktor posted:

Better together.

We were previously warcrime buddies. It'll only be better when we're warcrime brothers!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
:black101::hf::black101::hf::black101:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
A family that war crimes together, stays together

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Certainly, it would be no small understatement to say that both Cazarosta and Lady Katarina have proven themselves to be most beneficial friends in times past. If you were able to convince the two of them to pool their efforts and abilities for some enterprise that might benefit you, then you certainly see no reason not to.

With your fellow dragoon's skill at arms and his sister's connections within Royal Intelligence and talent for deception, the three of you together might be capable of accomplishing great things, indeed.

Of course, such opportunities could only arise if you cultivate your friendships with both siblings carefully, lest you offend one by appeasing the other, or worse, gain the enmity of both by making some misstep in your intercourse with one.

Such a course would prove perilous; you would have to tread carefully, but so long as you might maintain both as steadfast friends, you will be able to find yourself furnished with a pair of most capable allies, indeed.

quote:

A shout from the docks brings your mind to more immediate concerns.

Your ship is about to leave, and it would likely be best if you were on board when it did.

It is but the work of a few moments to proceed down the quay and up the walk to your waiting vessel, yet your short passage seems to stretch into an eternity, the beat of your hobnailed boots against the stone slowing as you take your last steps upon Antari soil.

Only when your feet plant themselves firmly upon the ship's deck and your shadow is swallowed up by the shade of the spreading sailcloth overhead does time seem to return to normal.

You make your way to the quarterdeck just in time to see the last line cast off. There you remain as your ship pulls away from its anchorage. There you remain for hours yet as you watch the still-shattered walls of Kharangia fading into the distance, as you watch the land which you fought upon and bled upon for so long falling away in your wake.

Finally, as the day begins to dim and the cold night winds begin to rise, you head below deck. You must see your horse fed and eat supper yourself. You must check that your baggage is stored and that your cabin is to your liking.

Meanwhile, your ship continues on, south and east, carrying you towards the embrace of the encroaching, uncertain darkness.

And to home.

And there's the end of Atros's story, for now. There are a few scenes left that I'd like to show off (mainly participating in the siege rather than doing the Forlorn Hope), but I don't think another run-through is in the cards for me at the moment. If there's anything specific you'd like to know about or see shown off, let me know, and I'll put it up.

And if you guys really want to bring Legitimate Caz through, I can probably do that too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Well, it would be nice to see the min-max, to actually capture either of the gals, see how the gently caress-ups we made were supposed to go.

I liked how a big part of this run was supposed to be us paying off the debt and we screwed it up at the very end for instance, hah.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Well, it would be nice to see the min-max, to actually capture either of the gals, see how the gently caress-ups we made were supposed to go.

I liked how a big part of this run was supposed to be us paying off the debt and we screwed it up at the very end for instance, hah.

we were supposed to mention our debt weren't we

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

There are a few scenes left that I'd like to show off (mainly participating in the siege rather than doing the Forlorn Hope)

Seeing the missed scenes sounds good.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I would really like the to see the super money ending capture the princess just to see if you can do it without great cost.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I hate to ask, but a Legit Caz run would be fantastic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

we were supposed to mention our debt weren't we
Nah, it's probs ransoming either of the ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I too would love Legimate Caz run, but I can also understand if your done with it.

• Locked thread