Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody here play shmups. Im a complete shmup noob but i picked up Mushihimesama on Steam recently and have been trying to 1CC Normal mode and ive been having a blast. I can somewhat regularly No Miss Stages 1/2 and grab an extra life at the start of Stage 3 but the stage 3 boss keeps whupping my rear end and I always lose a few lives on the run up to him. Im getting better. The only game remotely comparable to a shmup that ive ever 1CC'd in the past was Sin and Punishment on the N64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i used to play them a lot but fell out of it over the last couple years, i never managed a 1cc but got to the final boss of dodonpachi a few times and once in the sequel to mushihime-sama

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

you can play a bunch of good ones on mame, esp.rade, battle garegga, armed police batrider, and guwange should all be easy to find for cool ones, idk how easy it is to find newer ones like ketsui though

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i love playing dodonpachi. it fuckin rules. other than that i've not played many shmups except Jamestown on steam

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i also always meant to play ikaruga but never got my hands on it

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I actually picked up Crimzon Clover World Ignition again the other night after not playing in ages. It's really great, even though I'm bad at it and SHMUPs in general.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'm a pro shmup player that's right i have the number 3 best miyamoto score on western smhmups board that's right i'm like 500 places below several japanese and chinese ppl, but hell, theyy have extra genes like blacks and basketball

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
In Training you should try out Dangun Feveron, it's slick and fast-paced and has a sick soundtrack.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Does anybody here play shmups. Im a complete shmup noob but i picked up Mushihimesama on Steam recently and have been trying to 1CC Normal mode and ive been having a blast. I can somewhat regularly No Miss Stages 1/2 and grab an extra life at the start of Stage 3 but the stage 3 boss keeps whupping my rear end and I always lose a few lives on the run up to him. Im getting better. The only game remotely comparable to a shmup that ive ever 1CC'd in the past was Sin and Punishment on the N64

my 1cc tip is to bomb liberally and bomb oftee, just bomb bomb bom

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i haven't 1cc'd mushi 1 tho ye

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM1CEDJgGlo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

mysterious loyall X posted:

my 1cc tip is to bomb liberally and bomb oftee, just bomb bomb bom

better to waste a bomb by using it than to waste a bomb by dying

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

better to waste a bomb by using it than to waste a bomb by dying

yeah

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

always bomb b4 u think u need to bomb, because when you think you need to bomb, it is already too late. it's very mystical and oriental.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i liked mushihimesama even though insects give me the heebie jeebies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't been bombing at all because I thought I'd get a score penalty for using it or something.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

I haven't been bombing at all because I thought I'd get a score penalty for using it or something.

you should worry more about survival than score, you'll score enough to get the extra lives just playing normally

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I haven't played many and I'm bad at them but I got Crimzon Clover World Ignition from Steam and it's fun OP.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Played ikaruga so much ika ftw
Also i got crimzon clover on steam but i need to give it more serious attempts

I hear revolver 360 is a good shmup too, and someoe gifted me astebreed but ive yet go play it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I cant imagine 1ccing anything ever though. The shmup i know best is ika and i the furthest ive made it in 1 continue was stage 3s mid boss

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I bought a rotating monitor mount just so I could play in Tate mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im not a fan of ikaruga. i like just holding shoot and dodging things, my brain cant handle also trying to flip

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

metricchip posted:

I should get this for mushi

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

metricchip posted:

i got it for pinball

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Best 40 dollars I've ever spent. You won't regret it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

you do but if you're dying at the 3rd boss it really doesn't matter does it :p

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

im not a fan of ikaruga. i like just holding shoot and dodging things, my brain cant handle also trying to flip

i dont like how restrictive it makes it feel, i only ever played a demo of it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAO6akjqdg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

you do but if you're dying at the 3rd boss it really doesn't matter does it :p

I will be forged in fire

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I enjoy Ranger X.

e: Guess that's more of a run and gun... changing answer to lightning/thunderforce

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 30, 2016

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I will be forged in fire

no you need to learn to use your bombs and resources,

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I enjoy Ranger X.

Ranger X is loving rad.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i have 1cc'd every shmups

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Oh yeah bangai o spirits is awesome but im so insanely bad at it and all the options overwhelm me

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

i have 1cc'd every shmups

impressive

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

N-No...!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

/me sighs becasue everyone is talking about not shmups in the shmups thread :isgh:: :sigh:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Fine fine... what was the ps2 gradius that lets you loop the game indefinitely?? Played a bit of it at a friends, and people say its the best in the series

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

gradius gaiden is the best one, not gradius 5, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

list of official best shmups you can steal for free on mamae;

1. dodonpachi - not really the besat but everyone knows this crap, wow, just play it and clear it, it's not thart hard.
2. battle garegga - this is the best shmups but youu have to learn some stuff like , don't hold onto the fire button all the tiem, don't pick up all the itams.
3. ketsui - this is thebe stt cave game but it's hard
4. gunbird 2 - this is less buttet hell and more "classic shmup" buut better because it's not 1943 or some crap.

????

• Locked thread