Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Battle garegga is one hell of a name and for the longest time i thought it was an anime or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

Battle garegga is one hell of a name and for the longest time i thought it was an anime or something

gah!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

"at least we aint playin radiant silvergun we can be happy for that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ive gotten really good at stage two, i used to eat a death on the part right after the miniboss where theres a huge swooping swarm off regular bees but thats basically the entirety of stage 3 so ive learned how to deal with them. made it to stage 3 boss and then died though, ive been using my bombs though.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

remamber to always aim to control the mid/top screen and move around a lot. also idk how many cave type shmups u play but almost all of their games have bullats with uh "fuzzy" hurtboxes, like how prinprin bugslut has a shiney hitbox. a lot of the time the edges of bullets can be safely maneuvered arround. goon luck

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcJeJIqca4

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive only played raiden :cheers:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

raiden fighters jets 3 is bad rear end but not nething like raiden iirc

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
that dude's reviews are so good

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

raiden fighters jets 3 is bad rear end but not nething like raiden iirc

looking it up ive played that aswell, it looks like ive played a few raiden games and mixed them into one game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I beat hydorah without a game over but that's a weird indie shmup. I wanna get into more shmups but I like horizontal ones way more than vertical ones.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

I beat hydorah without a game over but that's a weird indie shmup. I wanna get into more shmups but I like horizontal ones way more than vertical ones.

wot verts have u played? if you want more "classic" shmup rather than like bullat hell, check out psykios games. check out gunbird 2, dragon blaze and strikers 1945 3 aka strikers 1999.

my favorite horizontal game is darius gaiden :thumbsup:

u can also get deathsmiles on steam which is hot garbage :greencube:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

"at least we aint playin radiant silvergun we can be happy for that

Rob rules.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

The Darius series is well respected, and R-Type is legendary but its a memorizer so it helps if you're on the spectrum. I also like Sengoku Blade, and Deathsmiles is easy to get your hands on if you don't mind anime art. I do so if I want a hori where you shoot in both directions I just play Side Arms.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Electric Lady posted:

In Training you should try out Dangun Feveron, it's slick and fast-paced and has a sick soundtrack.

Extremely this. Then after Dangun play the entire Psikyo catalog (except Sol Divide).

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

i got fantasy zone from the 3ds eshop a while ago. fun

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the only traditional bullethell ive played was jeffersontown or something like that, which is really good and super replayable.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wot verts have u played? if you want more "classic" shmup rather than like bullat hell, check out psykios games. check out gunbird 2, dragon blaze and strikers 1945 3 aka strikers 1999.

my favorite horizontal game is darius gaiden :thumbsup:

u can also get deathsmiles on steam which is hot garbage :greencube:

I played Darius Gaiden at the same arcade where I played a few other shmups (which is why I have the sudden interest) and it was really cool

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
Have any of yall played Dariusburst yet? I keep waiting for a good sale.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
raiden and gradius are good introductory shmups one is vertical and one is horizontal so thats covered and they have a decent amount of bullets and poo poo onscreen but it never gets insane like a bullet hell and the wide array of powerups makes it seem more personal and you can really set your playstyle to how you want they are solid games as well as solid shmups

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's old as poo poo but I love Xevious and Xevious 3D/G.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I love Tyrian and Raptor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What type do you like in Mushihime? I'm an S Power guy, I like going fast

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Horizontal shmup sare thedevil

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Area 88 is good too.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

fast ships are always my fave

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bobnumerotres posted:

the only traditional bullethell ive played was jeffersontown or something like that, which is really good and super replayable.

Jamestown. I just finally got around to installing it after owning it for 1+ year because of this thread and played it for 15 minutes and ya. it's really fun and hard

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

Jamestown. I just finally got around to installing it after owning it for 1+ year because of this thread and played it for 15 minutes and ya. it's really fun and hard

thanks, this is what i meant. i should boot it up again, i never beat it on the highest difficulties

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
smhups are pretty win

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Horizontal shmup sare thedevil

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

what was that bullet hell game where your a dot it just throws bullet patterns at you? i used to play that a lot in highschool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

what was that bullet hell game where your a dot it just throws bullet patterns at you? i used to play that a lot in highschool

At some level that's all of them

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I bought Raiden IV in the last sale because I remember enjoying the plasma beam in the older Raiden games and it was still cool but it also destroyed me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im going to download a MAME ROM set so I can play dodonpachi

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

starbarry clock posted:

raiden and gradius are good introductory shmups one is vertical and one is horizontal so thats covered and they have a decent amount of bullets and poo poo onscreen but it never gets insane like a bullet hell and the wide array of powerups makes it seem more personal and you can really set your playstyle to how you want they are solid games as well as solid shmups

gradiuus sucks arse

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

always be picking fast narrow except for in that one game i forget which

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

In Training posted:

Im going to download a MAME ROM set so I can play dodonpachi

Its the pinnacle of the genre. You may prefer other shmups (I do), but nothing sums up what the genre is about more than dodonpachi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agag posted:

Its the pinnacle of the genre. You may prefer other shmups (I do), but nothing sums up what the genre is about more than dodonpachi.

i played it on a cab and had fun but trying to find individual roms for MAME is really hard because everything I tried was broken. so now im waiting patiently for all 60 gigs of MAME games to finish downloading from Archive.org so i can play it

• Locked thread