Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

notZaar posted:

Just imagine how much money you saved over buying one of those hideously expensive universal remote garage door openers that clips to your keychain.

this is all about pocket minimalism notZaar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All programs are slowly being merged into the web browser so it matters less and less what OS you have as long as chrome runs on it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
am i the only one who types ls instead of dir in the windows command prompt like every single time

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

am i the only one who types ls instead of dir in the windows command prompt like every single time

That works in powershell :engleft:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I installed Console2 or whatever it's called and set it up with Powershell and Cygwin but nothing overcomes the muscle memory of windows+R cmd return

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you prefer linux you are a bad person

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

face it linux owns

android: linux

osx: linux

steam: linux

it's over for windows

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
systems people actually use: windows

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

well it's officially over windows is now linux as well

Microsoft's open-source efforts are on the rise since the last few years, and the company has now announced a significant piece of news for the developer community. The company will be launching the popular Unix-shell, Bash, for Windows 10.

In partnership with Canonical, Microsoft has announced support for Bash on Windows 10, which would allow developers to access various Ubuntu binaries on Windows without switching to a Linux environment.

In reality, Microsoft will be installing a proper Ubuntu image on top of Windows to enable the functionality. However, the experience will be native and users will be able to access their files through Bash and run various applications such as Emacs or tools such as grep, awk and vi right from Windows.

The best part of the announcement is that the user does not need to know a lot about Linux or Ubuntu to get their hands dirty. All it takes is a bunch of click throughs from the Windows Store to get the Ubuntu installation on Windows running.

wrap it up

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Not Linux. GNU/Windows :colbert:.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blue Train posted:

This is an offensive troll, pleas apologise.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

stallman finally did it yay

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

face it linux owns

android: linux

steam: linux

it's over for windows

Oh man Bob Linux is gonna be so rich.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

dead gay son posted:

YOSPOS, bitch

I believe you mean

YOSPOS, bithc

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

lol actually ur forgetting the best os

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 30, 2016

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Confession: I actually bought Linux at a store once
Disclaimer: it was the 90s

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
Funny enough I brought a Dell chromebook last week but couldn't get the touchpad to work with some linux distros. After a few hours I found the fix, ebay. The "fix" lenovo flex arrived today and worked with only an hours of tinkering, plus it has a working touchscreen.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

This is the best OS:
http://ubuntusatanic.org/

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My computer runs on a proprietary operating system I programmed myself in BASIC.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

only sometimes but i added an ls.bat to somewhere on my path years ago that just runs dir

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i used to use gentoo because im a gay idiot

I use SCO for exactly the same reason

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Holy shitballs/.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

My computer runs on a proprietary operating system I programmed myself in BASIC.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

That is written in Holy C, you heretic.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

at that time the world was not ready for the paradigm shift of an os powered by bees

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

1998: beeos is canceled and thrown into a garbage can after bill gates kidnaps the ceo of dell (mike "Michael" fell) and threatens to break one of his knees for every beeos-powered computer he ships
1999: colony collapse syndrome appears out of nowhere and soon all bees are dead

coincidence?!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Germstore posted:

That is written in Holy C, you heretic.

also it seems kinda neat in certain ways

http://www.codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MiracleWhale posted:

1998: beeos is canceled and thrown into a garbage can after bill gates kidnaps the ceo of dell (mike "Michael" fell) and threatens to break one of his knees for every beeos-powered computer he ships
1999: colony collapse syndrome appears out of nowhere and soon all bees are dead

coincidence?!

holy poo poo :aaaaa:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
OP I never installed linux before today and it took me literally 12 minutes

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

depends on the distro, hardware setup(hope you're not unlucky), etc.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yea linux fuckin owns

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

2016 is finally the year of Linux on the desktop- the windows desktop. :hellyeah:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I resurrected my old ASUS eee pc 1000HE from the dead with linux mint xfce and it runs magnificently after a couple of tweaks.
Better than windows.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

2016 is finally the year of Linux on the desktop- the windows desktop. :hellyeah:

Nah man. 1999 was the year of the Linux desktop when Corel released their distro.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
Installed Debian on a 2009 Macbook the other day and everything just worked. Three different versions of Ubuntu and two different versions of SteamOS all failed.

Wrap it up, Canonicailures

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Which one of Richards wives was this again?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So I know this thread is a send up of linux but I am actually planning on replacing the OS on my laptop with linux and on my desktop I will add a second drive to boot to linux for most of my day to day work. This is all because of the bullshit with the windows 10 upgrade trying to be forced down my throat.

Any suggestions as to what version of linux I should use? I was thinking of Ubuntu but am not sure it has good support for hiDPI monitors (mine is a 3k monitor).

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

The Rage posted:

Which one of Richards wives was this again?

lol how many times has he been married?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Demonachizer posted:

So I know this thread is a send up of linux but I am actually planning on replacing the OS on my laptop with linux and on my desktop I will add a second drive to boot to linux for most of my day to day work. This is all because of the bullshit with the windows 10 upgrade trying to be forced down my throat.

Any suggestions as to what version of linux I should use? I was thinking of Ubuntu but am not sure it has good support for hiDPI monitors (mine is a 3k monitor).

fedora

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

Mint with Cinnamon desktop.

Sorry for being serious in this thread.

Ubuntu is optimized for tablets and poo poo. Unity sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i heard that the versions of Ubuntu with long term support include packages that are months out of date and they stay that way until the next release

• Locked thread