Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Skippy Granola posted:

Preacher got what was coming to him for killing all those bears.

Hey, bears are the number 1 threat to America, pal! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Preacher seems a little bit disjointed between story and gameplay, to me. On the one hand, he's been locked up in the asylum for a couple years, but the whole cursing Sweet Tooth thing never comes up, and his special is to throw a devotee to jihad someone, but if he's been locked up for brutally emptying out his church, where is he getting loyal cultists from? I know, you could argue video game logic, but the ice cream truck turned into a drat mech and it still made more sense in my mind than this has.

Also, was that supposed to be Billy Ray? I was just gonna give it a pass as generic character reuse until Fiendly said something about it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Derek Barona posted:

Preacher seems a little bit disjointed between story and gameplay, to me. On the one hand, he's been locked up in the asylum for a couple years, but the whole cursing Sweet Tooth thing never comes up, and his special is to throw a devotee to jihad someone, but if he's been locked up for brutally emptying out his church, where is he getting loyal cultists from? I know, you could argue video game logic, but the ice cream truck turned into a drat mech and it still made more sense in my mind than this has.

Also, was that supposed to be Billy Ray? I was just gonna give it a pass as generic character reuse until Fiendly said something about it.

Well the disconnect will be apparent in time but yeah it's very weird right? Just things don't really add up.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Zain posted:

Well the disconnect will be apparent in time but yeah it's very weird right? Just things don't really add up.

Yeah, there IS technically an explanation that sort of hand waves the discrepancies away. We'll get to that at the end, though.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is it just me, or does Calypso almost seem sorry for Preacher? He's almost gleeful in all the other endings, but in this one, he almost looks regretful.

Jeb certainly paints him that way in his narration, describing him as "hesitant" to break the news, but it's open to interpretation. Maybe he's just disappointed that granting this wish won't necessarily result in any death, although safe money would be on Preacher practicing what he preaches and killing himself like all his followers do.

Derek Barona posted:

Well, it's definitely Billy's model, and there's a brief moment in the middle cutscene where you can tell that he and Annie are the parents of the "possessed" child, so it's no accident. Could be just a little reference for keen-eyed players, or maybe they're saying Billy and his wife survived the massacre and the trauma of the ordeal led her to seek comfort in the arms of another man, who decided to take Billy out of the picture himself, but the goddamn guy's nearly unkillable and he survived that too. That's all pretty ridiculous, but hey, it's a matter of interpretation.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fiendly posted:

Jeb certainly paints him that way in his narration, describing him as "hesitant" to break the news, but it's open to interpretation. Maybe he's just disappointed that granting this wish won't necessarily result in any death, although safe money would be on Preacher practicing what he preaches and killing himself like all his followers do.

Well, it's definitely Billy's model, and there's a brief moment in the middle cutscene where you can tell that he and Annie are the parents of the "possessed" child, so it's no accident. Could be just a little reference for keen-eyed players, or maybe they're saying Billy and his wife survived the massacre and the trauma of the ordeal led her to seek comfort in the arms of another man, who decided to take Billy out of the picture himself, but the goddamn guy's nearly unkillable and he survived that too. That's all pretty ridiculous, but hey, it's a matter of interpretation.

I'm kind of reminded of Roadkill's ending from TM2 - I don't think it applies to any part of this story, but just to be on the safe side: Roadkill in previous games was a mental patient (at least 2 and 3). When he wins TM2, he asks Calypso to reveal the truth, because he knows that this world isn't real. Calypso congratulates him on figuring it out and says he'll be free, but the other contestants will be stuck in TM for a long time. We fade in to a hospital scene where Roadkill and the other contestants are revealed to be in a 25 car pile up, but he's the only one who has come out of his coma so far. So that could be a kind of explanation on why the endings and stories can feature other characters that interact, but they don't really fit if you take them all together.

There's the video below for Roadkill's TM2 ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQIPSr4qSzg

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

There's the video below for Roadkill's TM2 ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQIPSr4qSzg

I do like the little hints that Marcus' wish is another delusion. The flash of Calypso and the glowing eyes of the nurses. Very interesting if you ask me.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I always thought that Calypso provided the thematically fitting cars to the drivers, including the weapons and ammo. I can't see someone like Shadow owning her own murdermobile. Those may just be random schmucks that pissed off Calypso, not zealots from Preacher's congregation.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

I do like the little hints that Marcus' wish is another delusion. The flash of Calypso and the glowing eyes of the nurses. Very interesting if you ask me.

It's also taken me until the last viewing but the voice is the same between Calypso and the doctor, which adds to that idea.

Ninja: OK, really glad I checked the wiki on this because that was about to be TM:B spoilers apparently. I'll save that one for post game.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Man, now that someone's brought it up, I think my only regret with this reboot is Calypso. Don't get me wrong, the sleazy game show host from hell gimmick doesn't work here, I'm not saying it would, but Calypso was easily the best thing about the second game, and the guy who voiced him had it loving nailed down.

"I am Calypso, and I thank you for playing Twisted Metal!" was always such a treat to hear.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

It's also taken me until the last viewing but the voice is the same between Calypso and the doctor, which adds to that idea.

While the flash definitely makes it seem like that. The doctor having the same voice could just be hearing someone's voice in a comma and just putting it into your "dream" as it were. If the flash wasn't there, it would still very well be ambiguous I'd say.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zain posted:

While the flash definitely makes it seem like that. The doctor having the same voice could just be hearing someone's voice in a comma and just putting it into your "dream" as it were. If the flash wasn't there, it would still very well be ambiguous I'd say.

It also could be them only budgeting for X dudes to do the voices, so some of the VA's fill in for named characters and unnamed.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Hey, before we move on to the next story, I'd like to point out that YouTube commenter Some Random Gamer has been sharing fun facts for some of the stories we've already seen. Here's what they've left me thus far:

Some Random Gamer posted:

Fun fact: Raven's original name was Sad Sally.
This is one I'd never heard before myself!

Fun fact after checking out the beta cut scenes: The tattoo on John's shoulder was going to have the phrase "One race, One Country" accompanying the swastika/RHCP logo hybrid. The editors forgot to take it out in the later cut scenes as you can see part of it if you look close in the middle cut scene and see the whole thing clear as day at 11:58.
I was able to make out the offending tattoo myself in the cutscene they referred to here. Pretty much confirms their intent to make John Doe a member of a Neo-Nazi skinhead group.

Fun fact: They were gonna show Jeb drowning the baby, but took it out of the final release. You can see it in his beta ending.
I've seen a clip of David Jaffe excitedly describing a scene from Preacher's ending that they weren't allowed to put in the game, but I didn't realize this is what it was. I've tracked down the beta cutscenes, but there's a few very important things to note before watching this deleted scene:

1. The beta features temp dialogue, not the voice actors who appear in the finished game.
2. All the game's cutscenes are in this video, and it therefore contains spoilers if you watch anything beyond the part I'm linking here. I'll be scanning through it for more interesting variations on the final cutscenes and posting them in the thread when they become relevant, so don't feel the need to watch or comment on the rest of this video just yet (beta versions of cutscenes we're already seen in the LP are fine to discuss).
3. What else... Oh yeah, CONTENT WARNING for loving baby drowning.
Click here only if you have read and are comfortable with the above.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Crazy 8 at Minion's Stadium

No-Face loading screens:
  1. If I win, I can ask for any prize? I'll take revenge. Try having your face ripped apart; see what you ask for...
  2. You grow up on the east side, ain't much affects you no more. That's why it don't bother me, killin' these other drivers.
  3. The docs in the asylum always asked what I could see. I told'em I saw what I seen my whole life: darkness.
  4. This guy won last year's contest. But I ain't afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  5. I can still hear dat' freakin' opera music. Maybe it's the song I'll play when I cut that bastard apart...

Pre-Minion loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: This joker won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. I just need to get past his stupid shield and he's finished.
  2. Billy Ray: So, this guy won the contest last year? Don't matter none to me-Billy Ray ain't scared'a nothing.
  3. Raven: Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  4. John Doe: Minion won this contest last year. But...from the looks of my tattoos, I've dealt with my share of badasses.
  5. Preacher: So...this is Minion. This unholy killer used his infernal shield to win last year's contest, but I will destroy him.

I mention the game's manual in this video, so if anyone wants to check that out for themselves, it's available right here.

Also, there's a little cutscene that plays when you first unlock Minion as a playable character, but I can't record it myself because it only ever plays once per save file, so you can find it in this YouTube video.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That was definitely the best story yet. Helps that No-Face has pretty decent voice acting.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ah, Minion. That flamethrower has haunted players since the very first game. Always so glorious.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I remember my strategy for beating minion was to ram into him and immediately firing a gas can. If I'm remembering right, it would take out the shield generators in one hit each. I don't remember having a problem with the rear one, but it's been 10+ years since I've played this.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Outlaw at The Prison Passage

Agent Stone lading screens:
  1. I'm fooling myself if I think Calypso can undo the wrong that I have done. My crime was so heinous I cannot be forgiven.
  2. It's hard to give up the past. It stays with you like a fever. It's the very thing that caused the accident.
  3. I used to arrest people for playing Calypso's game. Look what I've become. I'm willing to murder others just to win.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can find a way past his force field I can beat him.
  5. It's my fault that family is dead. I should have stayed focused. Dear God- Why didn't you let me die?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Agent Stone, no scoping that semi-automatic sniper rifle in the middle of a hostage situation. A badass to the very end.

Neat concept with the map slowly opening up. I can't recall any other maps off the top of my head that do that in the series though there were a few that shrank during the course of a match.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Man, Outlaw just can't win in these games.

Spoilers for other TM games
TM1 - Outlaw wishes for a world without the evil and danger of Calypso and Twisted Metal - He sends Outlaw out into space
TM2 - Outlaw2, driven by the first driver's sister, wished to be reunited with her brother. Calypso sends her into space too. This seems like a gently caress you, but it's OK, her car is also a rocket
TM3 - Outlaw again wishes for a clean safe world. Of course this means that there is no crime and as cops, they are now both unemployed
TM4 - Outlaw stand-in "Meter Maid" makes Sweet Tooth (who is now running the tournament) take a safe driver course

3 & 4 were generally awful, though 4 did give us Rob Zombie in the Dragula as a playable character and Calypso driving a fire truck that fired nukes. Beyond that, both were just generally terrible. I think Small Brawl might have been the worst. A kid-friendly version where you play kids using RC cars and Calypso is the neighborhood bully.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
or in Twisted Metal: Head On, which continues from TM2 is tired of Calypsos poo poo and is just going to gun him down, gets into an argument with his sister and in a burst of anger "just wishes she would shut up."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I want to say that Outlaw's special is one of the more powerful in the game, but only if you manage to combine the minigun with the missiles at close range. Taken individually they're not amazing but if you manage to freeze someone or ram them to a near standstill you can do a ton of damage.

Edit: And I just noticed that there's a scar over the "terrorist's" eye, same as Calypso. Oh, you card Calypso.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 19, 2016

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Man, Outlaw just can't win in these games.

Spoilers for other TM games
TM1 - Outlaw wishes for a world without the evil and danger of Calypso and Twisted Metal - He sends Outlaw out into space
TM2 - Outlaw2, driven by the first driver's sister, wished to be reunited with her brother. Calypso sends her into space too. This seems like a gently caress you, but it's OK, her car is also a rocket
TM3 - Outlaw again wishes for a clean safe world. Of course this means that there is no crime and as cops, they are now both unemployed
TM4 - Outlaw stand-in "Meter Maid" makes Sweet Tooth (who is now running the tournament) take a safe driver course

3 & 4 were generally awful, though 4 did give us Rob Zombie in the Dragula as a playable character and Calypso driving a fire truck that fired nukes. Beyond that, both were just generally terrible. I think Small Brawl might have been the worst. A kid-friendly version where you play kids using RC cars and Calypso is the neighborhood bully.

Don't let the setting spoil Small Brawl for you, it's still a fun game and the setting allows the cars to battle in places they normally can't go to like a kitchen or a mini-golf course.

And yes Outlaw loses in the end like always, Outlaw tries to hit Calypso with a large rocket hidden in his Rc car but it misses and hits a real cop car and the angry burnt cop hauls Outlaw away by the seat of his pants.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fiendly posted:

Update:

Outlaw at The Prison Passage

Agent Stone lading screens:
  1. I'm fooling myself if I think Calypso can undo the wrong that I have done. My crime was so heinous I cannot be forgiven.
  2. It's hard to give up the past. It stays with you like a fever. It's the very thing that caused the accident.
  3. I used to arrest people for playing Calypso's game. Look what I've become. I'm willing to murder others just to win.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can find a way past his force field I can beat him.
  5. It's my fault that family is dead. I should have stayed focused. Dear God- Why didn't you let me die?

That terrorist had some aim-assist going on.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
As mentioned, Outlaw pretty much always gets hosed at the end, this of course being no exception. I'm gonna write this one off not so much as Calypso sending Stone back into the past as more of an illusion that he decided to step in at the end of and take his fee.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

I'll agree that 4 was just godawful, but I liked the gameplay of 3. The only problem I had was that the tone shifted from pitch black comedy laced with irony to something far more goofy. Like, Minion wanted to go back to Hell and Calypso sent him to Hell, Michigan. Firestarter wanted to party all night but oh no! Calypso set the party in Alaska where the night lasts for a whole month or something and the poor Prodigy-wannabe ended up freezing.

The vehicles were reasonably balanced and the levels were fun and interesting (Hanger 18 at Area 51? Santa's workshop at the north pole?) and the soundtrack was great. Granted, I love Rob Zombie/White Zombie, so I may be biased.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

I'll agree that 4 was just godawful, but I liked the gameplay of 3. The only problem I had was that the tone shifted from pitch black comedy laced with irony to something far more goofy. Like, Minion wanted to go back to Hell and Calypso sent him to Hell, Michigan. Firestarter wanted to party all night but oh no! Calypso set the party in Alaska where the night lasts for a whole month or something and the poor Prodigy-wannabe ended up freezing.

The vehicles were reasonably balanced and the levels were fun and interesting (Hanger 18 at Area 51? Santa's workshop at the north pole?) and the soundtrack was great. Granted, I love Rob Zombie/White Zombie, so I may be biased.

Wasn't Rob in 4? I coulda sworn he was.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ilustforponydeath posted:

That terrorist had some aim-assist going on.

That terrorist's left eye was all hosed up. While he looked like one of John Doe's cronies, something about that eye and magical ability to aim-bot the hero like that makes me wonder if that wasn't Calypso in an earlier stage of his life, before he became that hosed up mutant he is now.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

I never really liked 4 for multiplayer, but I had lots of fun nuking the world as Calypso in it

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Maiden posted:

I never really liked 4 for multiplayer, but I had lots of fun nuking the world as Calypso in it

Nuke Truck Calypso was so amazing! Also I've soft locked the game by doing 2 player multiplayer playing Sweet Tooth and Moon Buggy. It soft locks constantly at the oil tanker if you fire the specials at the same time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I really enjoyed the ridiculous wackiness of the character resolutions in TM4 - they strike just the right amount of funny-dumb.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Zain posted:

Wasn't Rob in 4? I coulda sworn he was.

Yup. "He writes the songs! HE WRITES THE SONGS!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Been kinda out from LP, so just found this thread and powered through it. I always liked the TM games and their stories, but was never any good at them. I had the first one as one of the first games I got for the PS1 (and I always associate it with Loaded, the other early PSX game featuring an ultra violent clown) and I played the hell out of it, beating it a few times. I always liked to go into the River Park level (the one that inspired Downtown in this game) as Mr. Grimm as there would be this small alley on one side of the level that was too narrow for anyone else to go into, and hide out there, letting everyone wear each other down. One time the game went nuts and Sweet Tooth decided he was done with my poo poo, and started trying to ram his way into the alley, blaring on his horn the whole time. Scared the hell out of me for sure.

(Sidebar, all this talk of the previous games in the series makes me want to see them all at the hands of someone who's much better than I am at them)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Choco1980 posted:

(Sidebar, all this talk of the previous games in the series makes me want to see them all at the hands of someone who's much better than I am at them)

A friend tapped me to do an LP of Rogue Trip (a kinda-sorta-but-not-really spinoff of the series) a few years back. We recorded a few videos, but she never published them because the whole thing degenerated into talking about The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (who did a song or two for the soundtrack) and from there, music and soundtracks of the PS1 era we loved. I thought it was a good video, but she wasn't happy, so they never saw the light of day.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Darkside at The Snowy Roads

Dollface loading screens:
  1. My boss used to buy spare parts from this junkyard. It's where he found the pieces of my mask.
  2. They say this contest kills innocent people. I don't care anymore. After what happened to me, no one is innocent.
  3. 7 years in this mask. Has my face changed? The mask never gives. It crushes my face. Am I deformed by now?
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid of him. I just gotta find a way past his force field and I win.
  5. You know, when I think about it, I wonder if my boss wanted me to die? Is it bad to think such things?
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.

Snowy Road loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: A small, tight space. Lots of people with no place to hide. For a butcher like me, it doesn't get better than this.
  2. Billy Ray: This area's tight as death-but I'll get thru it gotta bring flyboy back down t'Earth.
  3. Raven: This battleground is real tight and full of danger. I gotta keep moving if Kelly is ever going to have her revenge.
  4. John Doe: This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.
  5. Preacher: This place is as small as the hearts of men, and just as dangerous. Father, why do you afford me no sanctuary?
  6. No-Face: This place is tight- it's like bein' up on the ropes, close to the other fighter. You gotta bob an' weave; jab an' run.
  7. Agent Stone: This place is tight-like an indoor firing range, except the targets are bigger. I must keep moving if I want to survive this.

Choco1980 posted:

I started this thread with the intention of following it up with three more threads that would ultimately cover every Twisted Metal game, showing every ending as I have with Black. I'd still like to do those threads, but there's a shitload of factors working against my being able to continue with the series so I can't commit to anything.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

While Dollface's story is probably the strongest so far, I have to admit that Darkside itself is probably the most-formidable presence in the game outside of bosses. It's actually modelled after a Peterbilt 379, which is the bigger brother of the Truck in Spielberg's movie 'Duel', and also happens to be the meaner cousin to one modernized Optimus Prime. Mind, most Peterbilts don't come with industrial I-beams reinforcing the running boards and rear bumper, much less a full-size (if mostly-smushed) police car as a hood ornament.

What the game does go out of its way to show you once you get used to the ramming boost's mechanics is just how stupidly fast it can launch you; In fact, Darkside's special can overrun Mr Grimm, who's the fastest character in the game (as well as practically one-shot the poor bastard; getting smushed into a fine gruel by a cop car-turned battering ram is a nasty way to go).

And that's why Darkside is arguably the sneakiest sonofabitch when you're first playing the game, because you never expect something that big to go that fast. On more than one occasion I've been outright blindsided by Darkside, with my only warning being the two honks before being pitched rear end over teakettle sideways. Needless to say, being able to unleash the ram on some unsuspecting AI sot will never not be fun.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I had forgotten this level, it's a great, hars thing isn't it? Love the music for it too.

Darkside was probably my favorite character to play, not that I was particularly good at it. And yeah, those horns are pretty memorable when you play a match against her.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I'm pretty sure the damage output for Darkside's special depends on how you hit your opponent. You'd think ramming them head on would be the most powerful way but it's actually at it's most powerful if you slide into your opponent and hit them with the side of the vehicle. Of course, you can also up the damage by smashing them into a wall as well.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like half of these are the origin stories for Batman villains.

Not that I'm complaining, that poo poo is great. Also this level looks cool, and I love the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ah, the old mass times acceleration attack. I was wondering if anyone in this game would have one of those.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like half of these are the origin stories for Batman villains.

Funny enough, wasn't Death Battle doing Joker vs Sweet Tooth?

• Locked thread