Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
That's one hell of a twist for a car-combat game. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What music was that you used during the translations? That was excellent.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

counterfeitsaint posted:

What music was that you used during the translations? That was excellent.

Ribbons by Black Light Burns (a.k.a. Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit)

EDIT:

Skippy Granola posted:

Gee, I don't think I'm ready for Twisted Metal to have an interesting and interconnected story.

Then you'll love Twisted Metal 2012!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 23, 2016

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
I just found this LP and it's going to take me a while to catch up, but I wanted to say, I had a demo of this game on one of those sampler discs that used to come with PlayStation Magazine back in the day, and it was absolutely the darkest and most disturbing thing my tiny mind could imagine. I never actually played the full game because I was too young to walk into a store and buy it and there is zero chance my mother would have signed off on it. So thanks for this LP--I'm looking forward to seeing if the game lives up to my middle-school self's impressions of it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Fiendly posted:

Then you'll love Twisted Metal 2012!

Oh do you mean Eli Roth's Twisted Metal? AKA You Ain't Seen Edgelord Yet

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yay! Glad the LP is back!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nice! Good stuff Fiendly and :sbahj: at that music selection! Also, can't wait to see what you have lined up for the series :)

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.

Flashback to April:

CzarChasm posted:

Just found this today, getting caught up. I don't think this is spoilers as it's probably just coincidence but watching the first video I never noticed that Sweet Tooth and Calypso are both missing the same eye. Again, it's been years since I played, so I think this is just a design choice, but if I'm wrong, I'll remove it.

Also, very happy to be treated to another Fiendly LP

Even though CzarChasm (kind of) figured this out a while ago. That point, when I noticed it myself playing this game oh so long ago, is what clued me onto the meaning of the messages.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love that reveal. Also drat, I somehow overlooked that I also didn't watch the previous two updates (I sometimes get forgetful in the summer, when I'm dad). And on top of that, my favorite character was one of them! In the first game, Mr. Grimm was even more of a glass cannon, capable of one shotting with his special if hit as a bullseye. Plus the shot was a screaming, burning, damned soul.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
It was in 2 and 3, as well. In 4... well, we don't talk about Twisted Metal 4 :gonk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The best part of 4 was the idea that Calypso drove around in an ICBM launcher.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Twisted Metal 4 was the best, and I remember renting Twisted Metal Black and being super annoyed at how seriously it was taking itself.

He writes the songs, he writes the soooongs ahahaha...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I liked Twisted Metal 4. It wasn't the best but god it made up for how cheesy and campy it all was.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I still haven't played any PS1 TM games, but the one I'm most interested in checking out is honestly Twisted Metal 4. Black's style of pulp horror stories is by far my favorite direction the series has taken, but I've always loved when a game can embrace ridiculousness and just get silly as hell as TM4 seems to do. It's also one of two games directed by the founder of BottleRocket Entertainment, the inept geniuses who got the ball rolling on the Splatterhouse remake, and I adore everything that guy does right and everything he does wrong even more so.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've never played a twisted metal except for black, all this talk is getting me curious though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe I played TM 1-3 before I stopped paying attention to the series

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You two don't know what you've been missing - neither have probably aged that well (particularity the first game which is now 20+ years old) but TM1 did have those bitchin' FMV cut scenes for each driver. If nothing else it'll give you a better idea of how the games have changed and why people who played the first ones find the later ones so odd.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I dunno, I only really played the first game (which I played a ton) and none of the rest of the series. Probably because TM is a game style that looks easy when you're watching someone who is good at it play, but absolutely isn't easy at all. Mr. Grimm was the only guy I could beat the game with, and that's because of his speed as much as anything. Also I think I've already mentioned my little trick in the city level, where there was an ally Grim could fit down and nobody else (he didn't have the sidecar, so he was tiny) where I'd sit and snipe, and occasionally the AI would go bonkers and start trying to ram its way in there. Usually in one of the trucks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
2 is worth a play if only for Mr. Slam - A modified piece of construction equipment that would pick up enemies and repeatedly slam them on the ground as his special. He was quasi-replaced in 3 by Auger, a truck with a giant bore on the front. I think in 4 they both team up as a boss, but I might have that mixed up.

My buddy and I were super in to TM as a series and we even had a character we designed. Before TM3 and Auger came along we had the idea of a character driving a kind of an older ambulance (why no ambulance in these games?), but decked out in pale blue and with a big drill. The driver was going to be a dentist and was going to be Sweettooth's sister, fighting against his more benign campaign of rotting kid's teeth (the serial killer bit wasn't quite as overt at this stage IIRC). Her name? Nova Kane

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
I liked 2, but played TM3 the most. It's still one of my favourite PS games.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Twisted Metal 4 has the only exchange that I can consistently pull from memory, and that's Quatro's victory scene. Suddenly we're in the 80's cyberpunk future, complete with action movie one liners.

The game is also a buggy piece of poo poo with hilarious results when things go wrong, like when two of the grappling vehicles try to use their specials on one another at the same time.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fiendly posted:

I still haven't played any PS1 TM games, but the one I'm most interested in checking out is honestly Twisted Metal 4. Black's style of pulp horror stories is by far my favorite direction the series has taken, but I've always loved when a game can embrace ridiculousness and just get silly as hell as TM4 seems to do. It's also one of two games directed by the founder of BottleRocket Entertainment, the inept geniuses who got the ball rolling on the Splatterhouse remake, and I adore everything that guy does right and everything he does wrong even more so.

Oh what?! I never knew. Lol

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You two don't know what you've been missing - neither have probably aged that well (particularity the first game which is now 20+ years old) but TM1 did have those bitchin' FMV cut scenes for each driver. If nothing else it'll give you a better idea of how the games have changed and why people who played the first ones find the later ones so odd.

The first is good for how campy it all is but it definitely is rough. I have the most fondness for 2 because they refined the gameplay and that I love the ridiculous guitar heavy music of the first stage, L.A. Rumble. I didn't really like the physics of 3. 4 was a little better. Small Brawl was silly in a Micro Machines kinda way. Head On brought back the grittyness of the first two games and the gameplay was good fun for the PSP.

CzarChasm posted:

2 is worth a play if only for Mr. Slam - A modified piece of construction equipment that would pick up enemies and repeatedly slam them on the ground as his special. He was quasi-replaced in 3 by Auger, a truck with a giant bore on the front. I think in 4 they both team up as a boss, but I might have that mixed up.

My buddy and I were super in to TM as a series and we even had a character we designed. Before TM3 and Auger came along we had the idea of a character driving a kind of an older ambulance (why no ambulance in these games?), but decked out in pale blue and with a big drill. The driver was going to be a dentist and was going to be Sweettooth's sister, fighting against his more benign campaign of rotting kid's teeth (the serial killer bit wasn't quite as overt at this stage IIRC). Her name? Nova Kane

I used Mr. Slam all the time because of his special. Freeze enemy->Slam them. In the rooftop level, I got good enough where I was able to lead the enemy cars near the edge so when you'd throw them after the last slam, they'd go flying off the roof. Good times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember playing Twisted Metal 4, and it is likely a game I could appreciate and enjoy a lot more now but not when I was a 14 year old edgelord who needed to have everything BE REAL.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wamdoodle posted:

The first is good for how campy it all is but it definitely is rough. I have the most fondness for 2 because they refined the gameplay and that I love the ridiculous guitar heavy music of the first stage, L.A. Rumble. I didn't really like the physics of 3. 4 was a little better. Small Brawl was silly in a Micro Machines kinda way. Head On brought back the grittyness of the first two games and the gameplay was good fun for the PSP.

The first game had the benefit of being unique, there were other vehicle combat games out there but not many and TW was probably the first one to hit mainstream. But it's gameplay is rather simplistic in that you wre either driving at some one trying to kill them faster than they killed you, or you were trying to run away and lose them before you turned around and tried step one again. It's also rather short and a bit lacking in variety but at the time I had a blast with it. TW2 is also the one I loved the most and probably played the most, either by myself and with friends. It is an overall much more polished and vibrant game where they really hit the sweet spot. Still would recommend playing through them at least once to see what they're like; if you didn't grow up in an era of early PS1 graphics though you may balk at how they look now.

I don't really have any memories of 3 but I know I played it at some point. By the time 4 came out I think I had pretty much moved on to other things and don't recall having every played it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I remember playing Twisted Metal 4, and it is likely a game I could appreciate and enjoy a lot more now but not when I was a 14 year old edgelord who needed to have everything BE REAL.

Aw man, you missed out by not being a little bit older, and having your 14 year old edgelord phase be when TM1 came out early in the system. I played a bunch of that and the other near launch game with an evil clown character being on the cover, Loaded. It was a top down game where 1 or 2 players are prisoners in a future maximum security prison who somehow get their hands on big guns and start wasting everybody on their path to freedom. It kinda reminded me of Smash TV.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Loaded also had a soundtrack done by Pop Will Eat Itself for maximum edgelordness.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Warthog at Suburban Terror

Cage loading screens:
  1. I've been killing for 12 years. It's my passion. But something's wrong...every time I do it...it breaks my heart...
  2. If I win this contest Calypso promises to remove the part of me that makes me sad when I kill.
  3. I've had one woman under my floorboards for 9 months. When I killed her, I cried like an infant. Why do I care so much?
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  5. Doctor's want to know why I kill. I say, who gives a poo poo why I do it. I want to know why it makes me so sad.
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.
  7. I once pushed a fat woman off a skyscraper. When she hit the ground? It was music to my heart...
  8. The police haven't caught me in 12 years. I will not fail. I'm too close to my dream...

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Oh I didn't even know there was a lost twisted metal game. I assumed there was no sequel to Black because of poor sales or something.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

So, I get the feeling the "hidden" characters are just the characters they didn't have the time to finish everything for. That is some interesting artwork there, for Mr. Scissorhands.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Manslaughter at The Stadium Slaughter

Black loading screens:
  1. ...Name..................Black.............k..il...............l.....Calypso....
  2. .....They..................m...a....de................me......t-t-to.....win th-the....gam..e
  3. ...I....kn..ow...3 lessons..only....how t-t-to eat........how to..........cr..a..p..........how to kill
  4. ...T.ruck so big...........Black..........................is.................stronger..
  5. ....Was.................................I.........al.......way..s..........Black?.....
  6. ..I...kn..ow...all...of..Cal......ypso........weak....nezz......I...will eat...his...hea..rt...
  7. ............................Cal....ypso..........you..............are...ne....ar.....
  8. ....Hope...Cal......ypso....runs............more f..u..n for............me.......

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fiendly posted:

Update:

Manslaughter at The Stadium Slaughter

Black loading screens:
  1. ...Name..................Black.............k..il...............l.....Calypso....
  2. .....They..................m...a....de................me......t-t-to.....win th-the....gam..e
  3. ...I....kn..ow...3 lessons..only....how t-t-to eat........how to..........cr..a..p..........how to kill
  4. ...T.ruck so big...........Black..........................is.................stronger..
  5. ....Was.................................I.........al.......way..s..........Black?.....
  6. ..I...kn..ow...all...of..Cal......ypso........weak....nezz......I...will eat...his...hea..rt...
  7. ............................Cal....ypso..........you..............are...ne....ar.....
  8. ....Hope...Cal......ypso....runs............more f..u..n for............me.......
That's the laziest ending I've seen for anything in awhile.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, he got his wish. Calypso ran. More fun for him. I never knew anything about Twisted Metal: Lost, this is pretty cool. Are you gonna legit get the hardest ending note thing, or are you gonna use cheats?

And how close are we to the end of the LP? Got any ideas for what, if anything, is next?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So is Black just Minion from regular Twisted Metal?

Excited for the next character btw, his story and its resolution is pretty neat.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the laziest ending I've seen for anything in awhile.

It's worth noting that the original ending they made was vastly different, although still lazy and unsatisfying. It was almost identical visually, but the voice-over was from the perspective of Black's creator and ran though the duration of the cutscene. Dunno why they settled on making an even worse ending for the final game, but the original clashes slightly with the multiple universe concept and Black's epilogue in Lost. You can see it for yourself here.

rotinaj posted:

Well, he got his wish. Calypso ran. More fun for him. I never knew anything about Twisted Metal: Lost, this is pretty cool. Are you gonna legit get the hardest ending note thing, or are you gonna use cheats?

And how close are we to the end of the LP? Got any ideas for what, if anything, is next?

Getting the Lost hard mode unlockables is pretty easy compared to everything I did in Black, so we'll see what they're about in the next video and finish off the LP with one more video after that. I've got plans for what I might do beyond that, but they're not nearly concrete yet so really anything could happen.

Grapplejack posted:

Excited for the next character btw, his story and its resolution is pretty neat.

Saved them for last and for good reason, I think they're easily the best of the hidden characters.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

always glad to see a new episode!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Captain Foo posted:

always glad to see a new episode!

Always glad to hear it, feedback having been pretty scarce for this LP. Anyway, penultimate episode.

Update:

Yellow Jacket at The Carnival of Darkness

Charlie Kane and Son loading screens:
  1. I know things can't be like they were. But at least- when we win- people won't try to split us apart...
  2. My dad doesn't say much anymore. But I know he still loves me. I just wish- sometimes- he could tell me himself.
  3. I was always real smart. But I hated it. The other kids made fun of me. But being smart let me save my dad.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid of him. I just gotta get past his force field and I can win.
  5. My older brother is in this contest too. He scares me. But I think I feel some kind of... connection between us...
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.
  7. This is it. The last battleground in the contest. If I win me and my dad will never be torn apart.
  8. Dad said I should always respect the police. But they want to take father away... I can't let that happen...

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
I played Twisted Metal: Black extensively back when it came out, but I had no idea about Twisted Metal: Lost and all the extras associated with it. Thank you for showing everything off in your LP!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, that's one of the absolute worst cases I've seen of "use an adult woman to voice a male child" ever...

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I was legit terrible at this game and haven't had much to say simply because most of my memories of this game are half remembered at best, but I've really appreciated how this LP was put together-- showing off each character/vehicle/level without doing an entire playthrough of each individual character was a smart way to get to the real meat of the game and show your best efforts without becoming tedious for you to record and rehash redundant content. It's been fun to watch and see what I missed out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Tangentially related, but I think I just saw a Twisted Metal reference in The Simpsons. It was a whole Mad Max scene and Drederick Tatum (the Mike Tyson parody character) was locked in a platform with tank treads on either side, a bit like Axel.

• Locked thread