Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A troubled veteran is attempting to start a new life and move past his trauma. He loses his cool and has a heated dispute with his old supervisor.

Its not Rambo.

A brand-new executive struggles to repair a company's public image. Forced to resolve internal politics and a hostile work environment; the solution becomes to exploit a group of counter-corporate activists to destroy another executive's life work.

A rich old man on the brink of death sacrifices his entire empire in order to reconnect with his estranged family.

A family of prospectors makes a discovery that changes their town forever, but it forces their daughter to go into hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

MariusLecter posted:

Unfunny rear end in a top hat mocks the terminally ill on their death beds.

Patch Adams?

kizudarake posted:

Sorry, no.

Hint on both: they were made after Y2k

Wild T fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Laderhan posted:

Magnolia?

Nope!

Along the way, the man loses his son and ultimately, his own life.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Incorrect.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Don't think I'm right but Star Wars?

Also incorrect.

Major clues for these is that they are all science fiction action films.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 7, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Nope! Though you're sort of on track for one of the other ones.

Again, these are all sci-if action movies. Additional hints (a few of them very strong):

Wild T posted:

A troubled veteran is attempting to start a new life and move past his trauma. He loses his cool and has a heated dispute with his old supervisor.

(The veteran's new life begins as part of a top-secret military project, but his war memories and the behavior of his drugged-up comrades cause him to desert).

A brand-new executive struggles to repair a company's public image. Forced to resolve internal politics and a hostile work environment; the solution becomes to exploit a group of counter-corporate activists to destroy another executive's life work.

(It wasn't directed by Ridley Scott but Ridley, Scott appears in the film.)

A rich old man on the brink of death sacrifices his entire empire in order to reconnect with his estranged family. He loses his son, and later his own life.

(When the old man dies, no one who cared about him was there to witness it.)

A family of prospectors makes a discovery that changes their town forever, but it forces their daughter to go into hiding.

(The daughter barely escaped as her hometown is destroyed in a nuclear explosion.)

Wild T fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 8, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

Aliens fits but?

Keith Atherton wins the prize!

(Admittedly it was kind of a dick move since a portion of the answer was off-screen in the theatrical cut.)

Still on the board, now with very large hints:

A troubled veteran is attempting to start a new life and move past his trauma. He loses his cool and has a heated dispute with his old supervisor. The veteran's new life begins as part of a top-secret military project, but his war memories and the behavior of his drugged-up comrades cause him to desert. Along the way he becomes romantically involved with a reporter who rubs him down with ice cubes.

A brand-new executive struggles to repair a company's public image. Forced to resolve internal politics and a hostile work environment the solution becomes to exploit a group of counter-corporate activists to destroy another executive's life work. It wasn't directed by Ridley Scott but Ridley, Scott appears in the film. There's not a single alien in the film but there is involvement by Weyland, Yutani.

A rich old man on the brink of death sacrifices his entire empire in order to reconnect with his estranged family. He loses his son, and later his own life. Meanwhile one of his colleagues frets over the cost of the man's obsession while the other lashes out violently towards the family. When the old man dies, no one who cared about him was there to witness it. His family does not mourn him.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 8, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

paperchaseguy posted:

A civil war veteran pursues his son's abductor. However, his last request is denied before he is executed.

3:10 to Yuma?

BirryJoru posted:

A king stumbles into another realm and discovers the true meaning of Christmas.

The Nightmare Before Christmas?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Absolute Lithops posted:

Nothing But Trouble
Do you listen to the Flop House?

Wild guess, but Jacob's Ladder?

Not what I had in mind, but goddamn does that also kind of works.

Major hint: This character is a Cajun man with a French name.

Edit:

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Man is not ready to come out of the closet before he is discovered

Any Tom Cruise movie?

Wild T fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 8, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

A police officer struggles to survive after being gunned down and horribly injured by drug dealers. He's brought back from the brink of death, only to have an immoral businessman attempt to murder him yet again with his newest high-tech toy. He survives but is badly injured and almost killed yet again, this time by police.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 8, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Mister Mind posted:

Has anyone said Universal Soldier yet?

No, they have not... Because they'd have been correct! I figured someone would get it at "loses his cool."

The rest I'll give:

A brand-new executive struggles to repair a company's public image. Forced to resolve internal politics and a hostile work environment the solution becomes to exploit a group of counter-corporate activists to destroy another executive's life work. It wasn't directed by Ridley Scott but Ridley, Scott appears in the film. There's not a single alien in the film but there is involvement by Weyland, Yutani.

Death Machine

A rich old man on the brink of death sacrifices his entire empire in order to reconnect with his estranged family. He loses his son, and later his own life. Meanwhile one of his colleagues frets over the cost of the man's obsession while the other lashes out violently towards the family. When the old man dies, no one who cared about him was there to witness it. His family does not mourn him.

Mad Max: Fury Road

A police officer struggles to survive after being gunned down and horribly injured by drug dealers. He's brought back from the brink of death, only to have an immoral businessman attempt to murder him yet again with his newest high-tech toy. He survives but is badly injured and almost killed yet again, this time by police.

Absolute Lithops posted:

Can you flyyyy, Bobby?

Nope. It's The Naked Gun

Centripetal Horse posted:

A man is knocked unconscious when the van he is in is hit by an unskilled parallel parker.

Could this be Snatch?

Edit: hosed up my own answer. Shameful.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 9, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Keep Autism Wired posted:

A man learns to love and accept his brother by exploiting his disability. Lots of repetition.

Definitely The Rain Man. Definitely.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Wanted criminals shoot and capture a respectable man before coercing him into destroying his life's work and turning him into a suicide bomber.

A woman struggles to take care of her household, while dealing with an adopted juvenile delinquent and a layabout spouse. The police appear at her door and spark a sequence of events that changes the entire family's lives.

A doctor struggles to get through to his most troubled patient. The patient lashes out violently in a situation that shatters the doctor's beliefs on what is truly madness.

These are all the same movie.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Otisburg posted:

A man gets unsolicited fitness advice at work.

Could be Clerks.

Junior Jr. posted:

A group of teenage kids stay in a cabin for the night to do light reading.

The Evil Dead?

Wild T fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 11, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Otisburg posted:

A winner is you.

A violent rampage ends with the perpetrator getting a hug from an old friend and surrendering peacefully.

First Blood, depending on which ending?

Two parents are reunited with their runaway daughter thanks to the actions of a concerned citizen.

A few more, all with a common theme:

A young woman takes an impromptu trip to South America via sea-plane with a new friend she met only hours before.

A powerful figure in the mining industry tries in vain to convince a former coworker to attend a company party.

A suave, duplicitous ladies' man is abducted and interrogated by government agents.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Since these are still on the board with no guesses, I'll give some hints.

1. Two parents are reunited with their runaway daughter thanks to the actions of a concerned citizen.
Shooting Sport plays a major role in winning their daughter's return.

These three have one rather large thing in common:

(2) A young woman takes an impromptu trip to South America via sea-plane with a new friend she met only hours before.
Her friend brags about how he enjoys eating hats in the morning.

(3) A powerful figure in the mining industry tries in vain to convince a former coworker to attend a company party.
The coworker sarcastically promises to attend after the two get into an altercation in an elevator.

(4) A suave, duplicitous ladies' man is abducted and interrogated by government agents.
The ladies' man's own fake backstory about being a spy ended up landing him in hot water.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

paperchaseguy posted:

Burn After Reading

While it fits, it's not what I had in mind. Once one or both of the others in the set get guessed I have the feeling it'll be an easy kill... All three are fairly popular and have a unifying characteristic.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

With no guesses still, a final round of big hints before I give these away.

1. Two parents are reunited with their runaway daughter thanks to the actions of a concerned citizen.
Shooting Sport plays a major role in winning their daughter's return.
The citizen is a severely disturbed former Marine.

These three have one rather large thing in common:

(2) A young woman takes an impromptu trip to South America via sea-plane with a new friend she met only hours before.
Her friend is heading to South America to rescue his teenage daughter.

(3) A powerful figure in the mining industry tries in vain to convince a former coworker to attend a company party.
The coworker sarcastically promises to attend after the two get into an altercation in an elevator.
Although the coworker promises to see him there, neither men make it to the party.

(4) A suave, duplicitous ladies' man is abducted and interrogated by government agents.
The ladies' man's own fake backstory about being a spy ended up landing him in hot water.
It's ill-advised to pretend to be a spy to seduce the wife of an actual spy.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Shave my hair to a mohawk and call me Travis, we have a winner.

aquaper posted:

True Lies

Bill Paxton never catches a break in Cameron movies. But you're right!

True Lies was the last of the trio I thought wouldn't be answered first, but now the other two have a linking factor... You can get it :)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A cripple is miraculously cured after he lights a cigarette.

The Usual Suspects.

Since nobody got these:

Her friend is heading to South America to rescue his teenage daughter.

Was Commando.

Although the coworker promises to see him there, neither men make it to the party.

Was Total Recall.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 14, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

A teacher resorts to ball-busting corporal punishment in an effort to persuade a wayward delinquent back to school.

A prisoner is drugged and tortured by government agents, who brainwash him while telling him it will make him better.

A novelist has a chance encounter that gives him the opportunity for revenge against the man who destroyed his family.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Dagj posted:

Two brothers take a road-trip to Mexico and learns about local religion/culture

The culture just happened to be Cheech Marin yelling about pussy.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Centripetal Horse posted:

A man's twin brother seamlessly replaces the man in his group of friends.

Beerfest?

A young boy copes with the disappearance of his family and the arrival of hostile intruders by employing a series of elaborate traps.

It's not Home Alone.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 21, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Since nobody's guessed on this one yet

Wild T posted:

A young boy copes with the disappearance of his family and the arrival of hostile intruders by employing a series of elaborate traps.

It's not Home Alone.

An additional hint:

The kid then rescues a man from the trunk of his car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Grave $avings posted:

Well that's gotta be Dirty Work

Beavis & Butt-Head Do America also works.

• Locked thread