Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Birdstrike posted:

I've spent pretty much all day trying to get my head around how this state tax proposal would work and I can't make it work.

No matter how I carve it up, so long as Turnbull's plan is for the ATO to collect everything so as to reduce compliance costs, I can't see it being constitutional for a federal body to collect state taxes.
Either the states can't authorise it (the autocthonous expedient invests state with federal, not vice versa), or there could be a preference between states which the ATO couldn't be shanghaied into enforcing.

The alternative is for each state to pass assessing acts with collection by their state revenue authorities, but even if the acts are identical to what exists now I can't see people swallowing two separate returns each year given the trouble they have with filling in one.

A page late, but it's probably constitutional because it used to be that way, and was abandoned because it was a Stupid Idea and we used to be smarter.

The Treasury posted:

Between 1915 and 1942, income taxes were levied at both the state and federal level, leading to complexity and inequitable taxation of income across states. The Second World War saw fundamental changes to Australia’s taxation system. In 1942, income taxation was consolidated by the federal government to increase revenue as a war-time measure. As a result, the states’ tax base was reduced (see Chart 1), replaced by federal government grants. The states’ tax base was supplemented in 1971, when the then federal government ceded control of payroll taxes to the states

from http://archive.treasury.gov.au/documents/1156/HTML/docshell.asp?URL=01_Brief_History.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
In other news, Bob Ellis has died

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I don't think this has been mentioned before, but Liberal party backbencher does what appears at first glance to be a not-terrible thing? I suspect actually talking to peoplefascist symphatizers might be one of the more effective means of countering them (noting the old saw about not being able to reason somebody out of a position they didn't reason themselves into).

• Locked thread