Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

LibertyCat posted:

They can demand sovereignty, insist that they never signed a treaty, and that the Australia Government has no claim - but if you can't pass your own laws , collect your own taxes and boot out everyone who isn't a "citizen" you're obviously not a Sovereign Nation. Recognizing the "Continuing Sovereignty of First Nations" (as NIRS announces each day) is ignoring reality. Actual sovereignty is a pipe dream.

Your three tests of a sovereign nation (that you pulled out of the air) already happen though?

LibertyCat posted:

Let's be blunt; when the Europeans arrived, they were not greeted by a collection of civilized nations. Australia was inhabited by illiterate stone-age tribes that could never have defended their homeland from any settlement by other groups. I wish it hadn't involved bloodshed but I don't see any feasible way the original inhabitants could have kept ownership of the continent into the 1900s.

Illiterate - wrong
Stone-age - white man category
Defended from settlement - happened, lots of white people were killed, but the boats kept coming with more white people.
Kept ownership - if white people hadn't invaded

You're talking about a group of peoples that has the least evidence of large-scale destructive wars, had solved the population crisis, invented sustainable living on a continent scale, and in Thursday Island formed a southern Constantinople of international trade. What did white man bring? Individualism as religion.

Oh yeah and white man has slowly been losing since federation, genocide was so much easier when Australia was a colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

LibertyCat posted:

As I said earlier I don't have a problem calling it an Invasion, although it'd have to be the easiest invasion on record.

Uh it wasn't easy? And this is from the white man side too

asio
Nov 29, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Which invasions had a higher km^2 territory gained : aggressor death ratio?

Lol the colonies almost fell apart multiple times and was only ever saved by more boats propping up the population until the zerg factor overcame incompetence. Also please look up the definition of genocide.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

The Peccadillo posted:

gently caress 'im, no one's tryna fix his ideas, he came here and sucked and we told him he sucked

I'm so happy for you that you've found somewhere you feel validated, but keep the circlejerk to your side of the computer screen.

http://act.350.org/signup/snap-action-qld-its-time-put-coral-ahead-coal/

This is the info for the snap action tomorrow morning to protest the decision to burn off the reef. 9:15-10am outside parliament in Brisbane. Molotovs to be in the coral reef/finding nemo design style

asio
Nov 29, 2008

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/your-brisbane/the-tivoli-saved-by-lovers-of-live-music-20160405-gnyuw9.html

The tivoli survives the threat of development. Sold for ~9mil and will stay open as a performance/event venue

asio
Nov 29, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

I really like the alp

Ok so first of all LC is right, qld best state and the north is the best. All you southern fuckers can gently caress up about your jealousy wank.

And you only have to look at one thing and everything else falls into place: donations. Alp looks after who can pay them, that's the start and the end of the whole argument.

The adani mine is going to kill a zillion tourism/hospitality jobs. Due to demarcation agreements the union responsible for these workers(united voice) can't campaign against the mine because it's on AWU turf. They (literally the people working in the office) like to think of themselves as "labor left", "green friendly", "human", but they've been cowed by big money. The 1500 mining jobs, at the cost of the entire qld tourism industry, has government approval because awu has more money than uv.

I'm just a hick queenslander whose only markerable skills are cow-tipping and smoking weed so this is entirely restricted to qld, glad to hear fed alp doesn't take dodgy donations that influence their decisions (aka corruption).

asio
Nov 29, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Greens don't take donations?

Like many predictions put from the Greens, the idea that QLD tourism will completely die due to one mine is pretty laughable.

edit: But as always, since this mine is horrible and unpopular and everyone is against it and 90% of QLD will be out of work because of it. I look forward to the Greens romping it in at the next election in the QLD.

Or, they won't, because it won't have a major impact on the tourism industry or wider QLD employment. And further proof that QLD is a poo poo state will occur and the Greens won't win a seat.

Citation required.

Ok so lets make this simple:
Qld needs tourism to live
This mine will kill the reef which is most of where our tourism money comes from.
More jobs lost than gained as a result.

Qld Greens don't take corporate donations. The alp, however, does, e.g. that $40k from Macquarie bank, who negotiated the deal between mine and government. (And also ran one of their former employees for lord mayor)

This is why the alp approved the mine, despite the fact it is anti-worker. Are you still not understanding how corruption works?

Outside seq is awu territory, so uv can't go against awu's interests. Again, $ working as the real power.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

That's a bit of a reach. The reef is being killed by climate change, of which that mine is just a small part.

Anyway, the mine most likely isn't going ahead as the price of coal at the moment does not justify spending billions on it. Not to mention the banks and other potential creditors have bailed out, and every year it doesn't go ahead sees the price of competing energy sources get even lower.

I reckon can-do could have made it happen. The alp is under the assumption that the mine won't be built anyway to save face - how insulting to the environmental, indigenous, community etc groups that fought the miners and helped bring it to this point. But the mines size is historically massive and the port would be sitting right on top of the reef. I don't think that's a stretch.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

It wasn't until I had children of my own that I developed empathy for other people, this is how a healthy human being thinks, vote liberal

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

I wonder if there's a crazy Asian Mafia underbelly in Sunnybank.

No underbelly. These guys: http://www.atccq.com.au

asio
Nov 29, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Blog post from Antony on using preference flows from the last election with this year's primary polling - http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2016/04/a-few-thoughts-on-this-mornings-newpoll.html

The 2013 poll had an unusually high 'Others' vote who voted for PUP. Unlikely that NXT will reach the same levels as PUP as NXT are only running in SA.

With PUP collapse, a lot of those votes will flow back to the LNP giving them a 1% boost on 2PP. Using 2010 preference flows would make todays Newspoll 50-50, not 51-49.

NXT are running nationally, not just sa

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

Oh no.

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has stated he would accept a drop on Sunday penalty rates if it was recommended by the Fair Work Commission.

Oh no.

"I'd accept the independent tribunal," Mr Shorten said in an interview with radio station 3AW.

Mr Shorten went on to criticise the Government for abolishing the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal, arguing it was evidence the Coalition was not willing to accept advice from independent bodies about pay rates.

The Opposition Leader went on to reaffirm his support for keeping penalty rates in place.

Oh no???

I support keeping penalty rates unless this tribunal says otherwise but I still support penalty rates?

Uh the party who deregulated the market proposes further deregulation. Don't let the beard distract you

asio
Nov 29, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

keywords: "designed for going fast on".

If you could keep up with traffic I wouldn't have a problem with it - but you probably are pissing hundreds of people off because you're being a selfish prick and are doing 40ks less than the speed limit.

I would gladly accept boat people into the country if it meant we put road-driving cyclists in offshore concentration camps instead.

Yeah so we should be building seperated bicycle lanes and proper bike paths and identifying where suburban roads need traffic calming to discourage rat running to ease traffic flow along main corridors and thereby encourage more people to ride a bicycle in these streets - Greens policy - the only party that has committed to building separate streets for bikes and cars. Don't worry about the helmet thing, we're going to defund the police force so that they can't enforce that law anyway. (Sorry that there's no specific policy about helmets but basically no one gaf about that when we still expect bicycles to share lanes with buses)

Re: uber chat. It's not a customer service argument, it's a sharing economy argument. Sharing economy sounds nice to the ears, but there is a danger of putting a price on goods and services that previously didn't have one. Perhaps a *regulated sharing economy* would be the better option, and that's the discussion the government is now having (well, they're trying to put off, so, the current one). Basically: is uber more effective at redistributing wealth downwards than a normal taxi (learning from proudhon that wealth needs be redistributed back downwards for the economy to work)? Sort of, not really, has the potential to.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

The Greens want to legislate to give casuals and employees on successive fixed-term contracts who have been in a workplace for more than 12 months a right to request secure and ongoing work.

Employees whose request for permanent work is refused would be able to ask the Fair Work Commission to order their employer to give them a permanent full-time or part-time job.

The Greens’ policy would also allow unions and employer organisations to apply to the commission for orders that prospective employees, casual employees or those on rolling contracts be given permanent work.

Bill Shorten Will Never Be PM

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Brayds2006 posted:

Bill Shorten with a Man Bun to capture the youth vote.

He's balding too quickly, he'd end up looking like trevor in gta 5

asio
Nov 29, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Apparently Turnbull is promising to pay for kids dental care or something. Hopefully the ALP responds by making dental covered by medicare in reply.

Malcolm adopting greens policy? This is exactly what tony warned us about!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

bigis posted:

My post was in response to dumb stuff like

Dissolve the ADF and send them all to the Hague

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Negligent posted:

I'm the infrastructure prime minister - Tony "toned abs" Abbott

Chris Bowen trimmed his beard and it looks worse now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

All you fuckers better be at the snap rallies that are happening soon. Disrupt traffic just for the graics and lc's in the country. The guy died at the rbh earlier.

• Locked thread