Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

BCR posted:

Make sure shes a paid up member, or you personally pay her dues for her. If she's not a member, sign her up and let her union rep help.

Document every time they've hosed her over. Hopefully there is emails or sms messages? If not, get her to do a statuary declaration

Having 1) your contract 2) your award 3) documents proving they've hosed her over will make the reps life much easier and justice faster

Fairly delayed response as we've been waiting for her to get out of hospital before asking too many questions. I'll find out about her membership; the union in question is the Public Service Association, which appears to be the South Australian branch of the CPSU(?). Don't know how good this union is - hopefully they're on the case and working to sort this out.

Unless I am mistaken, she is under this enterprise agreement, as an OPS2. It looks like she's not casual but a part-time worker under contracts that have been renewed on a yearly basis. She's been working yearly contracts for seven years now without interruption; is that a reason to argue that she should have been offered permanency by now?

The documentation that shows the employer's dodgy behaviour would mostly be e-mails and I don't think she can access them without being at work, which is a problem since her contract will end before she recovers. I'll see if she has any letters or text messages that might be helpful. Hopefully a Stat Dec holds some weight in regards to backing up her claims.

Thanks again for the advice you have provided so far :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BCR posted:

Make sure shes a paid up member, or you personally pay her dues for her. If she's not a member, sign her up and let her union rep help.

Document every time they've hosed her over. Hopefully there is emails or sms messages? If not, get her to do a statuary declaration

Having 1) your contract 2) your award 3) documents proving they've hosed her over will make the reps life much easier and justice faster

An update on this. I've read correspondence betweeen the union and the employer and it looks like they are right on the case, specifically mentioning the fiance's mum as well as two other employees who are in the same situation, and insisting that they be instated as permanent. The language is very firm and legalese and indicates to me that they know what they're doing, which makes me happy. Fiance's mum looked through her work e-mails and hasn't found any that discuss permanency at all, as I suspected the promises of permanency were only ever made verbally. She is certain these conversations happened and is willing to sign a stat dec to this effect. She's surrounded by very supportive workmates and has a good case, so hopefully she will come out of this with her job, but either way I am happy that as much as possible is being done.

I appreciate you answering my posts and chasing up on them, they've been some good support, so as a thank you I will donate $50 to any organisation of your choice.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BCR posted:

Thanks for the thought with the money, please donate it to Medecins Sans Frontieres

Done :)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I honestly believe that the media in this country is extremely harmful to political discourse, framing every discussion in terms that are favourable to the LNP. I see the ALP as having to play against a stacked deck each and every election.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Went doorknocking for the first time today. Surprisingly pleasant. Some people tell you to keep up the good work, the ones that hate you won't talk to you in the first place so you're golden. The roughest part was the greens supporter who hated our senate reform voting, which was admittedly still a very manageable conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Recoome posted:

It's a pretty typical Australian attitude at the moment, the whole :qq:no one else helps why should we?:qq:

Prisoner's Dilemma is the mortal enemy of the Australian

• Locked thread