Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Frogmanv2 posted:

Ok, what other factors should a civilisation be judged by?

Number of uncivilized savages it enlightens?

Number of countries invadedcolonised?

Number of boat people in concentration camps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

wait are we talking about the european invasion of Australia again?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Found an article on Aboriginal agriculture, for those who are interested: http://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/27882/1/ellwood_etal_2009.pdf

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I don't do sex, so I don't really know what the ins and outs are. But I would say that if a woman takes a man into her bed or couch and starts making out with him, it's up to her to tell him when to stop. If he has to ask permission all the time to do anything at all (as I was taught by the feminist harpies that ran the sex-ed classes in the early 80s when I was in high school) it would take all the spontaneity and enjoyment out of it. To enforce constant consent-seeking like that comes across to me as positively Orwellian.

So it's up to the woman to either spell out before starting what her limits are, or to tell him to stop if he goes too far. And then to give him a reasonable time to stop; I've read of court cases where a boy was sent to prison on a rape charge because he took 5 seconds to pull out after the girl asked him to stop. She should actively push against him and tell him, repeatedly, to stop. I would posit that if she tells him to stop more than 3 times and he doesn't, only then she might have a case.

I've also heard that bringing a man close to orgasm and then forcing him to stop with a charge of backed-up semen causes a lot of pain. If a man causing pain to a woman is regarded as a crime, then so should a woman causing pain to a man. Bringing a man to that stage and then forcing him to stop seconds short of blowing his load is rape against the man in my book.

edit: MRA-snipe

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

LibertyCat, after you (and others) mentioned you would do more research into the civilization level of Australian aboriginals, I did some quick googling (because it's something I wanted to know more about as well, and I enjoy learning) and posted an article I found.

I'd like to know 1) if you read the article, and if so 2) what effect, if any, it had on your perception of Australian aboriginal culture.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you can't have a laugh at fighting violence with violence then you're a fuckwit

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Sure, neo-nazis might be irredeemable morons, but violence against them does nothing to further the left's position. Also i find violence in general morally wrong.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Basically because we're the ones with the most anything to lose if equality happens.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Other reasons you can't give blood get welfare:
  • You had a tattoo recently
  • You're pregnant or had a child recently
  • You have a serious heart condition
  • You're anaemic
  • You lived in the UK during the Mad Cow Disease scare
  • You've taken drugs recreationally
  • You've been overseas recently

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

also itt we discover LibertyCat thinks "gently caress the poors" is "no real downside".

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Blood donation could quite happily be made a voluntary thing for centrelink recipients who get an additional financial payment for donating if it's publicised as necessary. That avoids the issue of unnecessary donation, especially for particular blood types that may be in excess. Similar to the vaccination program, it's still voluntary to be vaccinated, just don't expect the government to do you any favours financially if you opt out.

Paid blood donation is illegal in Australia, but maybe we should reconsider.

http://economicstudents.com/2014/08/blood-money-should-blood-donors-be-paid/

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Cartoon posted:

You couldn't actually use their blood you know. Might as well just grind us all up for fertilizer.

Need I mention that blood donation is a complex topic with many deep shades of ambiguity completely unsuited to 'agile' redesign?

For instance the reason paid blood donation is illegal?/unlawful? is it gives an incentive for people who are high risk donors to misinform at the point of collection.

I think studies have found this not to be the case, though. In any case, the red cross do a lot of tests even on the volunteer blood - I've had a donation rejected because my white cell count was slightly elevated from a cold I had a week prior to donating, and I wasn't allowed to donate again until I had blood tests done.

edit: Data from the WHO indicates no link between paid donations and lower quality.

http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.28.2.177

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 8, 2016

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Isn't Labor leaving the existing NBN as-is a good thing, because it means they can focus on getting the rest of the network up and not focus on giving people who already have relatively fast internet, even faster internet? They can always go back and fix up the FttN areas latest I guess.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

If you take the ads out, 60 Minutes only goes for 43 minutes.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Can't wait for this month's word cloud.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

tl;dr

Seriously, some people try too hard to come across as intellectuals and it shows. A whole bunch of words with no substance.

I, on the other hand, don't try at all, which is why I'm here.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

"Extremely attractive"

The kid is 17 years old.

Why is her age important?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The full moon shines its light down upon a crude building of corrugated aluminium. Within, illuminated by a dying fire in an old oil drum, the four young initiates kneel in front of a robed figure. Behind him stands an effigy of their patron saint, Ned Kelly. The room is thick with the smell of kerosene. The master of the ceremony raises a knife, slashing his palm and letting the blood pool there. Placing the knife on an altar of wheel rims, he dips a finger into the blood and daubs the forehead of each initiate with five spots. Stepping back, he intones, "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie." In unison, the initiates chant, "Oi, oi, oi." The pact is complete. In the distance, a koala growls its mating call.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Is that vaccine available for politicians?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Cabchat: I don't know what the gently caress you guys are talking about but I have the 13CABS app and it does everything people are saying a taxi app should. I can make a booking, provide a destination address, estimate a fare, see where my cab is, even give a review out of 5 stars for both the driver and the cab, as well as leave comments. The only thing it doesn't let me do is pay via the app.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Anidav posted:

I wonder how parents feel taking their kids to those public toilets in parks that are full of spiders and snakes and syringes.

Any port in a storm, mate.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I know that when I was unemployed for over a year and relied on charity to feed my family, it would have been all too easy to just pack up all my belongings, hire a removalist, buy plane tickets, put down a bond on a new house, buy textbooks for a new degree and just get a new job in a different state; but no, I was determined to make my wife stress and my kids suffer while I pursued my dream.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

My dad served in the army for 20 years. When I finished school he told me to do anything I wanted, except become a rifleman.

That is my ANZAC day anecdote.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I say unto you, verily, we are all onions in the eyes of Tones.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

dr_rat posted:

If you read Atlas shrugged upside down and back to front, does it suddenly turn into a good book?

Guess its still probably just a load of old poo poo.

Well it would no longer make any sense if you read it upside down and back to front, so that's an improvement.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

I have to ask.

Can people who post facebook links either quote the content or screencap it for those of us who refuse to touch facebook. Quoting or screencapping also hedges against the comments being deleted (This bit also applies to twitter stuff).

Can you watch youtube? I certainly hope so

https://youtu.be/R47G-v8akG0

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

oTHi posted:

The phrase "the ruling is binding on the PNG government, but not the Australian government" is immensely arrogant. Seems to be implying that you'll just work around the ruling, gently caress the courts!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Apparently Blip Smallgoods will be chatting to Tom Gleeson next week on The Weekly with Charlie PickeringTM.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Aren't they having a grandfather clause to keep the "mom and pop" investors happy? The only people who will be truly be affected are the serious investors who are growing their property portfolios.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Has there been any modeling of what will happen down the track after the changes have been introduced and the house prices stop rising? I can't see the 30% of homeowners who are investors sitting around on an asset that is not going to increase in value.

Don't you know? Housing prices can only go up!

Seriously, will Labor's proposed changes do much to alleviate the inevitable housing price bubble burst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfmAY6M6aA

• Locked thread