Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AgentF posted:

Thanks for the links. Not sure if this is the award or not. She's in the hospital now and recovering so I'll try to hold back with questions until she's on her feet again.

Thanks for the detailed response. The union is hard at work trying to do a few things at that workplace so are hopefully on the case of trying to extract that promised permanency (it was promised for a few casuals so she's not alone in this). I'm not sure which union it is but I'll try to find out. If they're solidly on the case then it seems like something I can't really help by involving myself in, since I'm assuming that they're the experts in this kind of thing and I'm only the fiance of a relative of one of the employees involved.

The employer has been taking advantage of her for a while now. She's owed thousands in unpaid wages due to HR stuff-ups and is also rostered heavily for holidays; she hasn't had a Christmas or Mother's Day free for years now despite asking well in advance. Hopefully a precedence of screwing her about will count against them in front of an ombudsman. I don't know how much lawyers cost and this woman already seriously doesn't have a lot of money and can be kinda proud at times so might not accept me paying for a lawyer for her.

Edit: dodgy employer snipe

Make sure shes a paid up member, or you personally pay her dues for her. If she's not a member, sign her up and let her union rep help.

Document every time they've hosed her over. Hopefully there is emails or sms messages? If not, get her to do a statuary declaration

Having 1) your contract 2) your award 3) documents proving they've hosed her over will make the reps life much easier and justice faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AgentF posted:

Fairly delayed response as we've been waiting for her to get out of hospital before asking too many questions. I'll find out about her membership; the union in question is the Public Service Association, which appears to be the South Australian branch of the CPSU(?). Don't know how good this union is - hopefully they're on the case and working to sort this out.

Unless I am mistaken, she is under this enterprise agreement, as an OPS2. It looks like she's not casual but a part-time worker under contracts that have been renewed on a yearly basis. She's been working yearly contracts for seven years now without interruption; is that a reason to argue that she should have been offered permanency by now?

The documentation that shows the employer's dodgy behaviour would mostly be e-mails and I don't think she can access them without being at work, which is a problem since her contract will end before she recovers. I'll see if she has any letters or text messages that might be helpful. Hopefully a Stat Dec holds some weight in regards to backing up her claims.

Thanks again for the advice you have provided so far :)

1) Call the union, or better visit, make sure shes paid up. If not put down a hundred or whatever to make sure shes current. I know thats real money, but having her current is important. The CPSU can be ok. I don't know your reps. You need to make contact with the union at a minimum, to make them aware your fiances mother exists You can't rely on them doing the right thing, if they don't know she exists.
2) :siren: I am not a lawyer! :siren: She should have a strong case because shes part time which has more rights than a casual, and the contract has been auto renewed for seven years. Past wage slips, rosters, things that prove shes been doing the same hours, the same ish days, over many years will be very helpful. She should have had the oppurtunity to turn permanent or at the very least permanent part time.
3) :siren: [b]YOU NEED THOSE EMAILS!
:siren: If she has a trusted friend at work, get the friend to print those emails. You will need evidence! The emails are important evidence! Everything else is nice, but those emails are the important main event.

Too easy, remember the ACTU and all can help offer better, more specific advice.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

The reef is thousands of kilometers long, the port is maybe a couple of kilometers of coastline at best. I'm deadset against the projects too, but hyperbole isn't going to help.

http://theconversation.com/coral-bleaching-taskforce-more-than-1-000-km-of-the-great-barrier-reef-has-bleached-57282

TLDR reef hosed, coal why

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AgentF posted:

An update on this. I've read correspondence betweeen the union and the employer and it looks like they are right on the case, specifically mentioning the fiance's mum as well as two other employees who are in the same situation, and insisting that they be instated as permanent. The language is very firm and legalese and indicates to me that they know what they're doing, which makes me happy. Fiance's mum looked through her work e-mails and hasn't found any that discuss permanency at all, as I suspected the promises of permanency were only ever made verbally. She is certain these conversations happened and is willing to sign a stat dec to this effect. She's surrounded by very supportive workmates and has a good case, so hopefully she will come out of this with her job, but either way I am happy that as much as possible is being done.

I appreciate you answering my posts and chasing up on them, they've been some good support, so as a thank you I will donate $50 to any organisation of your choice.

Glad to hear it, it sounds good.

The last thing I can think of is have the union or union rep or union lawyer spoken face to face or on the phone with your mum? It helps reassure people and be a comfort if they can put a face to a name doing the things.

Thanks for the thought with the money, please donate it to Medecins Sans Frontieres

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

That is some bullshit right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

hand to heart

• Locked thread