Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

screaden posted:

Aren't free range chickens still allowed to be de-beaked as well?

yeah and they still grind up alive any male chicks born when breeding egg layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Pretty sure the quality of life enjoyed by your average indigenous person in the mid 1700s would have been much higher than your average british peasant living in London. That's even before the massive drop in quality of life experienced by those peasants about to be sucked into the industrialised capitalist machine.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
They most certainly did have agriculture, it was widespread as well. There's a good map of the "grain belt" used for farming pre-invasion and it covers a massive area across the continent. I'm not saying we should idolise pre-industrialisation life but people really don't give them enough credit for cultivating this harsh dry dusty continent. There's evidence of farming in pretty much all indigenous societies as well as large settlements but these were mostly all destroyed by the British. Far from a perfect life but their land management practices and agricultural techniques were actually pretty incredible when you compare to how quickly the imported European agricultural work has annihilated the soil and ecosystem of this country. Getting as much food as they did out of such a harsh environment is something that should be praised, not forgotten or dismissed like we do to every part of indigenous culture.

It's only in the last 80 years that life has really improved to be honest, I'm pretty sure most people would take 4 hours of work just to provide comfortably for your family and friends while spending the majority of your time in leisure and freedom in a clean, healthy environment over being locked in a coal mine or factory for 16 hours a day before sleeping in a small room with 4 other families. It's a dumb misconception that people pre-industrialisation died in their 30s, if you made it past childhood you'd live a pretty long life. Again not idolising their society but the argument the British somehow brought magical life improvements with them is idiotic.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Konomex posted:

There was artwork from some of the first Colony's in WA of what the Indigenous settlements looked like, and their art work. As well as journal entries of the land.

It was basically bush/orchards as far as the eye could see where I grew up, trees fairly evenly spaced, like the entire land had been cultivated and was one giant edible garden. They had large scale fishing traps (permanent structures), permanently settled buildings and a form of semi governance and diplomacy with other 'countries'.

It's a stretch to call them uncivilized in any way. They were largely plagued by Western Diseases before the first large waves of colonists arrived.

Yeah even accounts by settlers in Sydney go on and on about how the land is like one big maintained park estate like they knew from England. Land management seems to have been extremely important to indigenous Australians.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

LibertyCat posted:

FWIW: Thankyou. I'm going to read up on this, as I had no idea anything more advanced than fire-stick farming was practiced.

No worries, The Biggest Estate on Earth by Bill Gammage and Dark Emu, Black Seed are two great books on Indigenous land use, Dark Emu focusing more on trying to prove that Indigenous Australian's were a largely agricultural society using primary sources. Dark Emu is a much smaller book but Bruce Pascoe does some fascinating work, it really does make you realise how much knowledge has been lost and destroyed over the past two centuries. Their use of the land for agriculture, especially how they managed to grow so much grain in western NSW/central Australia is actually pretty incredible. It only took Europeans a few years to turn most of that land into a salty dustbowl.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Sorry for the double post but I haven't seen this issue mentioned in this thread.

On the topic on pre-invasion Indigenous culture they recently found a massive archaeological site in Sydney while working on the new light rail line. I don't know what is going on with it currently but Baird seemed pretty keen to keep bulldozing, we are already missing so much information about pre-settlement Australia and then finds like this are treated merely as a problem and with no interest of respect at all.

http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2016/04/01/huge-indigenous-artefacts-find-sydney-why-it-so-significant

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

Found an article on Aboriginal agriculture, for those who are interested: http://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/27882/1/ellwood_etal_2009.pdf

Cheers

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
If you want another example of why Australian's don't vote Green take these calls for a Royal Commission into the Financial Sector being talked about today, not once on ABC Radio today did they mention that the Greens have been calling for this for months, if not years. Peter Whish-Wilson has brought it up in the senate a few times recently but even lefty ABC only reports that a liberal backbencher has called for action and that Labor agree. Same with negative gearing a few months ago, no mention that the Greens have been calling to dump negative gearing when mentioning it's now Labor policy. It's good since the Greens are obviously putting pressure on Labor to actually adopt some good policies but it does make it hard for the Greens to get their message out there when the media completely ignores them most of the time.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

That's right. At least in Queensland and I presume nationally the Greens don't take donations other than from individuals.

I loving wish, that kind of money could buy seconds of airtime on local radio. The price of coherent ethics.

Yeah it varies a little by state, Vic allow Union donations and the ETU there supports them. NSW only allows individuals afaik and there is a donation cap.

Centrelink have been harassing me all week over a couple hundred dollars they believe I owe them from 2013. They believe I lied about my income when I reported as when they took the lump sum I earned over a financial year then divided it equally by fortnight, apparently I earned more than I said at the time. Possibly because I worked as a casual and worked more hours after I had been working there for a few weeks? No, apparently I just lied to them and worked the same hours every week for a year in hospitality.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

PissCat pissed the bed again, moving on...

Have the Panama Papers turned up anything juicy here? I've been working flat out this week and haven't had a chance to read up on it.

I know Wilson security are tied up in it somehow, the same Wilson security who beat refugee children the other day.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Recoome posted:

Isn't the Party for Freedom picketing some thing today in Sydney? For reference, these are the guys who got their poo poo taken (also a guy got hit with a pole) last week in Melbourne and THEN posted a victory video about it.

Yeah they're protesting the halal food expo, activists got their earlier and took there spot though lmao

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Recoome posted:

Haha, is there a post by the guys who took it over?

Also riveting turnout by the racists https://www.facebook.com/partyforfreedom.aust/videos/548405108662865/

e: "Stop the seffering stop malal!"

lol nice, they uploaded a short video earlier crying about their space being occupied and that they were going to get the cops to help them (which they did).

Antifa Sydney posted about it https://www.facebook.com/AntiFascistActionSydney/posts/1304618686232811

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
He's also nowhere near as suave and intelligent as his tone of voice would suggest, Turnbull has been stumbling around for months now and can barely get through an interview without throwing out meaningless buzzwords like the Tory he is.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Hasn't Muir voted with the LNP something like 60% of the time? He's better than everyone thought but he's not that great.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Higsian posted:

Oh yeah I agree with you, was replying to the post above mine.

I actually get really annoyed by arguments that Transformers aren't art because it kinda shuts down discussion on how to improve them. You have "lol I just want to watch robots fight" on one side and "lol those transformers movies are beneath me" from the other side. People should be looking at Transformers and figuring out how to make movies that tickle the robots fightin part of the brain but aren't completely empty trash at the same time.

They have it's called anime.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
I don't know why people hate taxis so much, I have never had a bad experience in a taxi. In fact I've had on four different occasions taxi drivers knock $5-$10 off my fare because they had also been a chef and knew how much it loving sucks to miss the last bus/train home after working a 13 hour shift. Or because we had a good discussion on worker solidarity.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Or use Uber to book your taxi. People get so mad at anime lol as if a studio ghibli film is lower art than the 30 comic book movies released yearly.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
do people not understand you can book a taxi through the uber app, it's a taxi with a taxi driver but you can rate them and see how far away they are

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

teacup posted:

It'd be really interesting to be a fly on the wall with some of these guys. It's so difficult with the 'vote with labor or die' process the party requires to know how real or not people are. I'm a fairly strong Green supporter but really any seat that goes Labor over Liberal I see as at least a partial win (or not a full loss) when a decent independent gets voted into a seat I always see it as a good thing- maybe certain things they look at don't align with what I believe personally, but hey no party or person ever will and someone sticking up for an electorate rather than just the big two parties is always good.

I know the answer is "because labor durr" but how many / do any Labor party members/MPs/etc not mind the greens as much? Like "Oh poo poo we lost the seat of melbourne... but at least it's not to the Libs?" or is it just a more passive "born to rule" mentality than the libs?

:(

Yeah typically the ones smart enough to know they need Greens preferences to win their seat. I know there's a couple in NSW (surprisingly) who work with the Greens on stuff and acknowledge we need to work together. I'm sure there was a western Sydney labor MP calling out the petty smear over senate reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

I've seen a couple of really lovely unfunny articles from them lately, were they always poo poo or have they just gotten worse?

• Locked thread