Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Going armed to a place to know is inhabited by others is textbook definition of invasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

we should all own guns to protect from home invaders, because if you can't defend it is not really yours.

If you don't have a gun, that guy breaking in and killing you for your TV is just taking what is rightfully his.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Malcolm Turnbull isn't turning out as well as people had hoped

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm a gender fluid pansexual multi racial human can I have a free cupcake

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

they did it to make a point about privilege, so if people are joking about being a member of non privileged group in order to get cheap cupcakes they have basically succeeded

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Practising Christians are vastly overrepresented in parliament, that's why Australian politics is so out of sync with Australian popular opinion.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

What we really want is a monorail

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Libertarians always end up being authoritarians, they can't hide their massive hard on for indiscriminate, arbitrary and disproportionate punishments for long.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten has admitted that he will keep some of Malcolm Turnbull’s changes to the national broadband network if Labor is elected to office, as he made his case to voters during his first televised open forum debate.

Shorten fielded questions from voters on a wide variety of subjects during the town hall meeting in the marginal Queensland seat of Petrie. Of the 150 swing voters there, 68% said they would be more likely to vote Labor following Shorten’s address, and only 9% said they would be less likely.

Shorten outlined key Labor policy areas in the Sky News/Courier Mail people’s forum in Brisbane, the first televised event before the 2016 election, though did not make any new policy announcements.

The opposition leader admitted that he would not unpick all of the Coalition’s changes to the NBN, which include the introduction of mixed technologies like copper wire to keep the costs of the project down.

“We won’t rip up everything that [prime minister] Malcolm Turnbull has done,” he said.

He criticised the use of copper networks for the infrastructure project, saying it was “old technology”.

“It’s the equivalent of building one-lane off ramps off the highway,” Shorten said. “We think you can do a much better job with fibre.”

It was revealed in August 2014 that Turnbull, then communications minister would opt for mixed technology over Labor’s fibre to the premises model.

Shorten had a swipe at private insurance companies for jacking up premiums, saying he would lead a “government with guts” that would slow the rate of increases.

But when asked if he would threaten to cut the concessions that private insurers enjoy, or what form his negotiations would take, Shorten was vague on details.

“Let’s put some water in the punchbowl, sober this system up,” he said. “I’m not going to reveal the dark arts in how I negotiate.”

Shorten often swung the conversation back to the traditional Labor heartland issues of health and education.

He pointed to reductions to the bulk-billing incentive for pathology and diagnostic services as proof the government was “bent” against bulk-billing patients for their health needs.

“We are gravely concerned that the Medicare system is under great threat,” Shorten said. “We will fight with our last drop of breath in us to make sure the system is not further undermined.”

He said promoting needs-based funding, as championed in the Gonski funding model, was an “obligation” of the federal government, and on childcare vowed to spend more on the policy area in order to keep downward pressure on childcare fees.

Shorten also promised to offer greater incentives to employers for hiring mature aged jobseekers.

“It’s an old fashioned way of doing it, but it works,” he said of the subsidies.

Speaking after the forum, the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, accused Shorten of being the “most dangerous leader of the Labor party since Gough Whitlam” for being fiscally irresponsible.

“Taxes will be jacked up under Labor...to pay for this reckless spending,” Dutton told Sky News.

He played down Shorten’s performance, saying voters left the town hall happy because the opposition leader would promise and say anything to get elected.

“He’s tipping money out the door,” Dutton said.

But not all voters were happy with Shorten’s performance.

One lamented the “missed funding opportunity” in keeping tax exemptions for religious organisations, while another accused Shorten of presenting a “false dichotomy” in his economic policies.

Bill shorten is never ever going to be prime minister of Australia

Never

Ever

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If bill shorten becomes prime minister I will move to Cambodia

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

tithin posted:

Don't stop I'm almos--

HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

"Prime minister bill shorten" is a phrase that will never pass anyone's lips except grizzled labor diehards in the pub post election

"We should have loving know, no one wants prime minister bill shorten"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

the internet doesn't vote, otherwise bernie sanders would be president right now

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

national fraudband network

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

he came in, dropped an idea turd and people are still discussing exactly what colour the poo poo is

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Watto is genuinely good at T20 though

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

still a more interesting conversation than anything involving bill shorten

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Clive Palmer is fat

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

stop wasting my valuable pixels with your "art"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

you see education has no intrinsic value of its own

a university is a place to get trained in something that pays well

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The queens head should be on more things imo

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

What's a library

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Arts students: from government handouts to government jobs. Something something free market

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm quite happy to say I know jack poo poo about art and would be quite happy for an expert panel to dole out the grants. It's not elitism, it's the same as any other tender process, it gets evaluated by people who are qualified in the area.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

sephiroth killed aeris and it was brutal

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Dennis Jensen is no Ian Callinan

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

As an employer :smugdon:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

he has bad vision in one eye, cut him some slack

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

And yet bill shorten will never be pm

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I like to read the daily mail

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Barnaby Joyce has now been PM more times than Bill Shorten ever will be

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

we got the grauniad, the daily mail balances it out

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

it's rare that I would agree with John Howard but

quote:

“People used to say to me, ‘You violated my human rights by taking away my gun’,” Mr Howard, who is regularly called upon by the US media to explain Australia’s gun laws, said.

“And I’d (say), ‘I understand that. Will you please understand the argument, the greatest human right of all is to live a safe life without fear of random murder’.”

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

chris bowen needs to lose the beard

no one likes a bearded politician

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

many voters dont trust a man with a beard to run a country

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

case in point Tom Mulcair

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

my research shows there hasn't been a bearded PM since 1914

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

i like the narrative of government in disarray, dysfunctional, internal divisions, worst government ever, sounds familiar

liberal party brought this on themselves

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

And then charge storage fees

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

if Bill Shorten becomes prime minister i will move to cambodia

(he is not going to become prime minister)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Imagine Justin Trudeau's dreamy face ... unf

• Locked thread