Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negligent posted:

we should all own guns to protect from home invaders, because if you can't defend it is not really yours.

If you don't have a gun, that guy breaking in and killing you for your TV is just taking what is rightfully his.

Oh god the IPA got to you too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I like how the put a smiling girl who appears to actually holding a work envelope or folder, so you know at least attempting to look like their working, vs a dude who is obviously doing nothing and looks either bored out of their mind or possibly like they might just be about to bash someone.

It's like if one of those scam weightless pill internet adds got the the before and after the wrong way around. I actually do sort of agree their still some weird gender stuff around dress codes that doesn't make to much sense to me, but the only time I've ever heard feminists discuss dress codes is when their agreeing, that yes they are a bit hosed up and would be good if they went away. Like seriously has there been any well known feminist arguments for gendered dress codes in workplaces.

I know thinking to deeply about anti-feminist arguments is usually a bit of waste of time, but it sort of amazing how much stupidity they can fit into one little image.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

annatar posted:

Muir has minimal chance under the new optional preference system, unless for some reason Victorian Labor decided to preference the Australian Motoring Enthusiast ticket on their senate how to votes cards. I suspect they won't.

That said, the Senate tickets will have the Party logos will be on the groups, and AMEP apparently want a stylised version of Ricky Muir's face as their logo so if people do want to vote for him they'll be able to find him on the ticket pretty quickly.

Wouldn't he have decent name recognition now? Spoken to people both on the right and left politically and he seems pretty well liked by both sides as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put relatively high on quite a few ballots, but maybe just being a bit optimistic about that.

Also the AMEP party becoming the Ricky Muir party would be a pretty great move on their part. If they do get his face as the official logo they're as well as half way there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Bronwyn will run on the Liberal Democrat ticket and win.

More likely Bronwyn will form and run under the 'Bow to me you plebs' party and lose horribly.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So July 2nd huh. Just 45 days away.

LABOR YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO DROP SHORTEN!!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Anidav posted:

I'm feeling pretty good about this election.

I'm feeling pretty meh. At the very best we'll get shorten with greens and a bunch of independents and other 3rd party'ers holding the balance of power in the senate and possibly the house. Which is admittedly better then the status quo but still a bit hard to get all :toot: about.

... I mean don't get me wrong, I will still most likely be drunken cheering come election night if Turnbulls booted, but your allowed to get a bit over excited about the less crappy candidate winning on election nights, there are just their own thing...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Narrator posted:

If Turnbull takes a win, how long does Shorten survive as opposition leader? Alternatively, if Turnbull loses outright (not likely imo, I would think a hung parliament is more on the cards if it's anything other than an outright win), would that be enough for the Liberal Right to start getting antsy about his usefulness?

I couldn't see Shorten hanging on after a loss, there would be at least a challenge. If Turnbull loses this election that would be twice he's going to an election and lost. Challenge to come from the left or right. Problem with the challenge coming from the right, who the gently caress do they still have of note to Challenge

Kevin Andrews.

LOL.

Edit:

Could easily see Turnbull just stepping down. He's not young and a three year wait won't make him any younger. Also I'm sure he's noted Abbotts popularity dive amongst conservative for sticking around, so I could actually see Turnbull just straight up retiring if he lost. Best thing he could do for his 'legacy'.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 18, 2016

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wait, wouldn't it still be the first time? He got booted out before the 2010 election.

Yeah your right. That was so many prime ministers ago its hard to keep track.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Anidav posted:

Julie Bishop would be opposition leader.

Yeah, if they were smart, but as she's from the left of the liberal party, as far as the right would be concerned I doubt they would consider it any improvement.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Queensland, where as always, stupidity is a virtue worth fighting for:

"Plan to increase cannabis penalties to match harder drugs under attack posted:

Plans by the Queensland government to increase penalties for cannabis possession and trafficking to match those for “harder” drugs has been described by drug policy experts as a “retrograde” and “uninformed” step.

The Queensland attorney general, Yvette D’Ath, is expected to introduce the proposed reform to the state’s anti-drug laws by the middle of the year, as part of reforms recommended in a report on the Organised Crime Commission of Inquiry.
Synthetic cannabis trial to treat Victorian children with epilepsy
Read more

If passed, the reforms will be introduced as Queensland prepares to hold clinical trials on the use of medical marijuana, after announcing it would join New South Wales and Victoria in potentially allowing the legal use of the drug.

The Commission of Inquiry report, released last month, recommended that the Drugs Misuse Act 1986 and supporting Drugs Misuse Regulations 1987 be amended to remove the distinction between schedule one and schedule two drugs. As the law currently stands, offences like trafficking for schedule one drugs – such as heroin, cocaine and methylamphetamine – carry a maximum penalty of 25 years, while the same offence for a schedule two drug – like cannabis, ketamine or morphine – carries a maximum penalty of 25 years.

The proposed changes would not affect the quantities of each drug that trigger a higher penalty.

In a report outlining its response to the commission’s 43 recommendations, the Queensland government said that removing the distinction between “hard” and “soft” drugs would simplify enforcement.

“A one-schedule drug regime will remove any risk of inconsistency in the scheduling of substances and provide for a more readily transparent penalty regime, which may enhance its deterrent value,” the government response said.
Synthetic drugs death: police say using is 'a gamble with your life'
Read more

The Palaszczuk government has said it would accept 35 of the 43 recommendations in full and five in principle, with two recommendations still awaiting response. Only one recommendation, requiring all documents in drug cases to be provided in hardcopy form, was rejected outright.

Dr David Caldicott, a drug and alcohol expert from Australian National University, said increasing penalties for cannabis possession had no evidentiary basis and contradicted the advice of Australian and global drug experts.

“I’d like to know what tea leaves or entrails they divined to find the answers to these questions because it’s certainly not in the published drug and alcohol literature,” Caldicott told Guardian Australia.

“It doesn’t seem to me to be the kind of policy that any expert worth their salt would endorse. “It’s a retrograde, uninformed, scientifically questionable, but not entirely unexpected for Australia.”

Gino Vumbaca, the president of Harm Reduction Australia, said it was wrong to suggest that the harm caused by cannabis use was equal to the harm caused by “harder” drugs like methamphetamines. For young people and Indigenous Australians, the two groups with the highest cannabis usage, Vumbaca said the risk of harm from higher penalties was greater than the risk of harm from the drug itself.

“One of the greatest harms they face is being arrested and charged,” he said. “That provides a lifelong harm for job opportunities and travel opportunities.”

D’Ath said the proposed reform would make penalties for drug offences more transparent.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm intrigued by the 3d Tetris block party. Will vote for if one of their policies is all bricks made in Australia from now on need to be in the shape and colour of Tetris blocks.

After a few years aussie brickies would probably become some of the best Tetris players in the world! Also their would be a lot more interesting brick houses and fences around the joint

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vladimir Poutine posted:

and we support abstinence programs that have been shown to work in reducing indiscriminate sexual behaviour. [Citation needed]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

Lionhjelm wrote a piece in the AFR today proposing an alternative budget.

If you read Atlas shrugged upside down and back to front, does it suddenly turn into a good book?

Guess its still probably just a load of old poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gay picnic defence posted:

Sounds like it's all on the back of the property market going nuts though so we'll be proper hosed if/when it all comes crashing down.

Yeah without the hosing boom the budget would probably be proper hosed, but at least his government spending the extra cash on things like infrastructure, health and education. Half a billion on fighting domestic violence, which is very good and very need expenditure as well.

Opposition leader was saying they should be spending it on tax cuts.

lol.

• Locked thread